Life rafts?

General boating discussion
Katoh

Life rafts?

Post by Katoh »

Gentlemen
I am asking those of you who go offshore or even those who don't, how many of you have purchased or even inquired into having a deployable life raft on board. I have been looking at some that are small suitcase sized and self inflate to hold 6 people automatically on entering the water.
I believe that size of vessel should come into the equation, lets say from 20' up. Lets be reasonable you wouldn't be going to far in a 15' tinny.
Cheers
Katoh
I maybe slow, but I'm bloody rough!
drookit

Re: Life rafts?

Post by drookit »

Katoh wrote: Lets be reasonable you wouldn't be going to far in a 15' tinny.
I'm curious, how far do you think far is?

Or how far to far is for a 15 (0r 16' like mine)'?

I've seen guys out a long way in zodiacs up here in Alaska (70 miles). I've shook my head thinking I'd never do that, forgetting that I have. Of course I was in the Marine Corps at the time.

Reading the history of Prince William Sound, the old sourdough miners and fox farmers mode of transportation through the Sound was a row boat.

Either way, I'll be watching the thread because I was planning on a briefcase style life raft.

And for what it's worth, I won't be going out farther than 40 miles in favorable conditions.

Ken
1985 Almar Lite 16'
1987 Suzuki 65hp
? Johnson 8hp kicker.
Katoh

Post by Katoh »

Ken
I apologise, did not mean to offend.
I should have realised that not all waters behave and are the same, I was thinking more for my part of the world, South East coast of Australia. I would consider fishing the shelf as being out which is approx 20Nm. The other thing is glass-outs are a very rare occurrence, the norm is seas around the 1-2m with generally heavy chop from the N/E in the afternoon's. God forbid you dont want to be out there when a Southerly blows, can get waves anywhere up to 6m, its scary in very big boats. The saying around here is we can all get to the shelf in our boats but getting back could be a problem.
If your interested click on the link that will give you the conditions of were I am for the day.
http://swell.willyweather.com.au/nsw/so ... point.html
Thanks for the comments.
Cheers
Katoh
drookit

Post by drookit »

Katoh wrote:Ken
I apologise, did not mean to offend.
I should have realised that not all waters behave and are the same, I was thinking more for my part of the world, South East coast of Australia. I would consider fishing the shelf as being out which is approx 20Nm. The other thing is glass-outs are a very rare occurrence, the norm is seas around the 1-2m with generally heavy chop from the N/E in the afternoon's. God forbid you dont want to be out there when a Southerly blows, can get waves anywhere up to 6m, its scary in very big boats. The saying around here is we can all get to the shelf in our boats but getting back could be a problem.
If your interested click on the link that will give you the conditions of were I am for the day.
http://swell.willyweather.com.au/nsw/so ... point.html
Thanks for the comments.
Katoh, no offense taken at all.

I'd say the conditions here can and do get the same at times. I figured with my boat, I'll be very selective on the days I go out and if the condtions even remotely look to change when I'm out, I'm getting the heck outta dodge. There's always another day.

Ken
1985 Almar Lite 16'
1987 Suzuki 65hp
? Johnson 8hp kicker.
Katoh

Post by Katoh »

I figured with my boat, I'll be very selective on the days I go out and if the condtions even remotely look to change when I'm out, I'm getting the heck outta dodge. There's always another day.
Ken that's what I call being a good skipper.
I can't believe no one else has commented on this, especially people like me were there boats have no floatation in the hull. Surely at same time we must of thought if she goes down, is there a better option then just bobbing around like fish bait.
Cheers
Katoh
drookit

Post by drookit »

Katoh wrote:
I figured with my boat, I'll be very selective on the days I go out and if the condtions even remotely look to change when I'm out, I'm getting the heck outta dodge. There's always another day.
Ken that's what I call being a good skipper.
I can't believe no one else has commented on this, especially people like me were there boats have no floatation in the hull. Surely at same time we must of thought if she goes down, is there a better option then just bobbing around like fish bait.
I don't know about being a good skipper as much as not wanting to be on the nightly news or giving the rescue guys anymore work than they already have. :mrgreen:

I'm kind of surprised too that more have commented on this as well.

My thoughts along the briefcase line were having a small boat and space being what it is, a briefcase life raft would give me a safety factor that I couldn't get any other way (most around these parts carry an inflatable dingy on the roof of the house, I have a soft top).

Seeing that it will mostly being me and the Mrs. out, I can't cut corners on safety or I'd never heard the end of it.

I'd say a person needs to know their limitations too. Personal and equipment wise. I've been out 70+ miles in a much larger boat than mine, and the skipper had a false sense of confidence over the changing conditions because of the size of his boat (32'). It got snotty quick and wouldn't have been any fun even in a boat twice the size.

Cheers,

Ken
1985 Almar Lite 16'
1987 Suzuki 65hp
? Johnson 8hp kicker.
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

OK, I will Reply,

I am no expert on the subject, but from what I have noticed is most boats sold in the "States" have to have foam flotation. I think (correct me if I am wrong) it is a "Federal Standard" type deal if a boat is made or sold over here. ONCE AGAIN, I am no expert on the subject.

Now, on the other subject of "tinnies" going out to far. I have a 17' Lund Explorer SS ( Side Steer ) with a 90hp Mercury 4 stroke. I have been out 6-7 miles out fishing with a friend, he had his plastic boat, 2 people on mine, 3 on his. About an hour later here comes a 12' row boat with a 6hp ish tiller, Comes within 50 feet of the both boats. Both people in the boat smiling from ear to ear, NO PFD on either of them, looking like they were have the time of their lives. And here I am thinking I was a LITTLE NUTS coming out here in my boat. But it was a pretty calm day very little wind, 2-4' wave pretty far apart. Wind picked up a little on the way in, backed off the throttle a little & all was good.

So as far as "Lets be reasonable, you wouldn't be going out there in a 15' foot tinny".

I look at it like if you are "Mentally Stable" you wouldn't go out in 12' row boat. But lucky for me I have common sense. I know the limits of my boat, I know how to drive it, I know what it can handle. I have been in some wet situations also. But I knew how to drive it & got through it, A little wet afterwords, But made it in safe.

So that is my $0.02. And I take no offense to the "tinnie" comments either. It's all good :thumbsup: It floats & I don't have to row or paddle it, Haven't lost any rivets yet either. :highfive:

I haven't looked into a life raft (yet). But I would think that if a boat has "foam flotation" it should never sink. And once again, I am no expert on the subject. I have left the bilge plug out of my boat for 2 hours once & it never sank. Only took 20 minutes to pump all the water back out with the bilge pump, After I put the plug back in of course. :scuba:
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

My boat is 21' Northriver. It has no Foam; none required by law. I pick my days and where I fish on the ocean there are always a boat or two around. I have my PFD's, DSC Radio hooked to the GPS. Both of the Rafts mentioned take a lot of space and in a small boat; weight and Space have limits.

If I was going out for a overnighter I would think about it, could put a blow up doll on board I guess :rotfl:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Gundog »

I have a valise type raft built by Zodiac I believe it is rated for 4 or 5 people. Mine is way over on the inspection. The requirement here for commercial use is an annual inspection but for private use it is up to the owner. I bought when I went to AK a few years ago in my 21' North River Seahawk because we were fishing the back side of Prince of Wales Island and the nearest rescue was several hours away. The raft is heavy and big for a small boat I plan to get rid of the one I have because I am going to replace it with an inflatable dingy for the roof they are cheaper and no need for an inspection.

Mike
Katoh

Post by Katoh »

Boy I can see my comment "tiny" is going to haunt me for a while. I started out in a 11' dare I say again Tiny and upgraded to 15.5' which I use to poke its nose out every now and then, would not venture more than a mile or two from land, was definitely not a boat you would take to the shelf and chase tuna in, well that's as far as I felt comfortable to push it. From there graduated to a 17.5' alloy cat, very cable boat visited the shelf lots of times, came back in some ordinary conditions a few times but made it back. The cat was foam filled and even once through shear stupidity managed to drowned both hulls and even get one motor submerged but still made it back only due to the foam in the boat. Now we have a 20' boat but no foam in the hull.
In Oz boats under 6m (19.5') require foam over that they don't, and low and behold the makers don't put t in. Okay enough of my life story, as far as life rafts go, I cant see them being something that would take a lot of room on the boat. I was looking at one that is a 6 person, dimensions 31"x20"x11" and weighs 100lb. if mounted on the roof or above the anchor should not inter fear with anything else, I imagine. I may be wrong.
I love the blow up doll raft idea, can you get them in different sizes? Are they self inflating like some crew you have on board from time to time. :rotfl:
I was weighing up my options, money wise, time wise.ect To remove my deck and foam the boat would be same as buying a good self deploying raft. With 3 children under 12 bugging me to take them out, I think the raft is a great option.
Thanks for the comments.
Cheers
Katoh
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

No problem with "tinnies" or platies that's life and they are all aluminum. party on Wayne.....
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

welder wrote: party on Wayne.....
Party on, Garth................
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Game on....
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

welder wrote:Game on....
GAME ON.........
:rotfl:
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

????????????

We having fun running up the thread count? HyJack! :popcorn:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
drookit

Post by drookit »

goatram wrote:????????????

We having fun running up the thread count? HyJack! :popcorn:
Thread count, now we're talking sheets? :mrgreen:
1985 Almar Lite 16'
1987 Suzuki 65hp
? Johnson 8hp kicker.
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

Speaking of sheets, I have to put the flannels on the bed soon. It is starting to get a little chilly in the North East. :thumbsup:
Katoh

Post by Katoh »

Gents you lost me at post No.11 :?:
Cheers
Katoh
Jay D

Post by Jay D »

i think i like this place :thumbsup:
hewescraft 220 ocean pro ht,et
225,9.9 hondas
garmin 7212
garmin gxm 51
garmin ghp 10
garmin tr-1
simrad nse 12
simrad bsm 2
simrad 4g radar
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

Katoh wrote:Gents you lost me at post No.11 :?:
What part :?: :?: :?: :rotfl:

Hey Jay D, If you haven't noticed we have a tendency to veer off coarse sometimes. But it's all good :thumbsup: .

HAVE FUN RIGHT???????
Jay D

Post by Jay D »

i end up off course most of the time ,lifes all about the fun in my book.i just have to do the rest of the stuff in order to have more fun.didnt this thread start off on inflatable life rafts :rotfl:
hewescraft 220 ocean pro ht,et
225,9.9 hondas
garmin 7212
garmin gxm 51
garmin ghp 10
garmin tr-1
simrad nse 12
simrad bsm 2
simrad 4g radar
drookit

Post by drookit »

Sabs28 wrote:
Katoh wrote:Gents you lost me at post No.11 :?:

we have a tendency to veer off coarse sometimes. But it's all good :thumbsup: .
Kinda reminds me of sittin' around drinking a few beers with some buddies. The conversation is all over the place. :thumbsup:
1985 Almar Lite 16'
1987 Suzuki 65hp
? Johnson 8hp kicker.
DwayneJ

Post by DwayneJ »

I know my Stabicraft is going to float whether its right side up or upside down... I have a hand held waterproof marine radio, GPS, and an ACR Aqualink View PLB in my ditch bag.

Dwayne
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic