Link Fixed - Elect. walkthrough on wooldridge sspilot house

General boating discussion
West Lake Willows

Link Fixed - Elect. walkthrough on wooldridge sspilot house

Post by West Lake Willows »

I mentioned awhile ago that I'd post a walk through of the electronics I installed on the boat. Here is a short video highlighting some of the electronics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZkuL-sAAT4

Scott
Last edited by West Lake Willows on Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
West Lake Willows

Re: Electronics walkthrough on wooldridge sspilot house

Having trouble embedding the video on my cell phone. I'll have to do it from my pc tonight. Sorry
dawgaholic

Re: Link Fixed - Elect. walkthrough on wooldridge sspilot ho

Post by dawgaholic »

Very impressive presentation and congratulations. :thumbsup:

Do the sonar(s) and radar units mesh in as well and if so, does one need hit the Lottery to afford it? That is so far past way cool to me I don't have words. :clap: Hell, it is unfair, not from the safety aspect whatsoever, just from the advantage of finding them. Almost. Lol.

Well done!
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Great video! Thanks.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
West Lake Willows

dawgaholic wrote:Very impressive presentation and congratulations. :thumbsup:

Do the sonar(s) and radar units mesh in as well and if so, does one need hit the Lottery to afford it? That is so far past way cool to me I don't have words. :clap: Hell, it is unfair, not from the safety aspect whatsoever, just from the advantage of finding them. Almost. Lol.

Well done!
Sonar is already networked in so yes, it is available on any of the screens. I just chose to run a full sonar and full chart screen at the helm then run the screen on the deck split between sonar and chart.

Radar is a broadband radar so not as good as some higher end radars, but it works very well for close quarters which is all I need. It will work well out to about 6 or 7 miles but shines from up tight to about 3 miles out. I just need it to come in to port in the dark or in heavy fog. It is also easy to install and very affordable compared to most radars.

Electronics are never cheap and "affordable" is relative, but you don't need multiple screens like I have. It just makes it easier and I don't have to ask clients to move to see the screen, however, you could network everything I have and only use 1 10" screen which would work well and save a lot of money. You could have an HDS 10" (I have the 8") screen ($2200), Sonic hub $330) , and radar ($1400), for around 4K.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyklP9opHXI

Scott
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Scott, that is awesome, very clean install. Thanks for posting. Don't forget that we like pictures of your boating/fishing adventures too.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Jay D

Post by Jay D »

nice setup.have you played with the structurescan yet,i am thinking about adding it to my nse 12 for walleye fishing lk huron and sag bay.
hewescraft 220 ocean pro ht,et
225,9.9 hondas
garmin 7212
garmin gxm 51
garmin ghp 10
garmin tr-1
simrad nse 12
simrad bsm 2
simrad 4g radar
West Lake Willows

Jay D wrote:nice setup.have you played with the structurescan yet,i am thinking about adding it to my nse 12 for walleye fishing lk huron and sag bay.
I did not purchase the structure scan. Structurescan is very good at finding small humps, rocks, ledges etc out to the side, but it does not find fish very well. If it is a huge fish or a big pod of bait, it will show up, but a walleye will not show up at all. I know several guys with it, and I also know a few guys who have sold it as they did not find it useful. That being said I troll 99% of the time, jigging guys who work small humps etc. do find it useful. I have recently seen some images of the HDS gen2 stuff and it looks amazing. The structure scan clearly marks fish, that would be very cool.

The other thing to consider is the frequency of the structurescan transducer. It operates at the same frequency of my Fishhawk X4 and this I live and die by when salmon fishing. You can not run the structurescan and Fishhawk simultaneously.

Those were my deciding factors.

Scott
Jay D

Post by Jay D »

was thinking about the structure scan more for finding smaller rock piles,logs ect.wouldnt be using it for salmon fishing,i have the bsm 2 for that.i should probably get out on a boat with it to see if it worth the $.most of our fishing is trolling too.we chase salmon more than eyes.thats a sweet boat you have. :thumbsup:
hewescraft 220 ocean pro ht,et
225,9.9 hondas
garmin 7212
garmin gxm 51
garmin ghp 10
garmin tr-1
simrad nse 12
simrad bsm 2
simrad 4g radar
West Lake Willows

Jay D wrote:was thinking about the structure scan more for finding smaller rock piles,logs ect.wouldnt be using it for salmon fishing,i have the bsm 2 for that.i should probably get out on a boat with it to see if it worth the $.most of our fishing is trolling too.we chase salmon more than eyes.thats a sweet boat you have. :thumbsup:
For finding logs and rock piles, its amazing. Do a couple youtube searches and look at some of the video. They are pretty cool. Most of my fishing isn't around small rock piles, and that kind of structure. It is primarly along break lines and structure that I can follow with my GPS and charts, that is why I didn't get it.

Scott
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Scott
A good video and the explanation of the uses for the various parts of your system. The AP24 is the best mod that I added to my boat. My driving skills in weather sux fighting the wind and waves. That AP 24 keeps me on a straight line. The Contour following is great as well.

Enjoy the ride
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I'm confuzzed.......ya mean there's buttons to push :?:

Dang, I hope my fishing never gets that complicated. But ya sure did a GREAT VIDEO :!:
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Great video you made. Very professional. I am about to install my upgraded Lowrance stuff this week. Your video has motivated me to get going on it. Nice to see how it all works. I did go with the structure scan but mostly to get the hub that comes with it for networking and the rest will be fun to play around with.

I have one new HDS 7 up front as a stand alone radar with the 3G dome. I have an existing Globalmap 7200 right next to it as my stand alone GPS (didn't need replacing yet). I went with the sonic hub as well as I was sick of scratched CD's in the glove box. I replace my old 10" unit out back with the HDS10 and tried it out this past weekend and love it. Can't wait till it's all installed and tuned properly.

That auto pilot looks very nice and will definately be going on my wish list.

Thanks for the great video and your boat rocks :thumbsup:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic