Another chambered boat "got run over"...

General boating discussion
DwayneJ

Another chambered boat "got run over"...

Post by DwayneJ »

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6228748 ... ber-was-up

A Wellington boatie says he is "bloody lucky" to be alive following a spectacular collision on Lake Taupo.

Andy McEwan, 65, was fishing about 300 metres off Te Kohaiakahu Point on Saturday when he noticed a larger boat approaching at high speed in clear and calm conditions.

The other vessel motored toward his 5m Kiwi Kraft pontoon boat at about 30 knots, "as straight as an arrow".

Initially he thought someone was playing at "silly buggers" and he expected them to veer off at the last minute. When the vessel got closer Mr McEwan realised nobody was at the wheel. With his anchor weighed and his motor switched off, there was no opportunity to take evasive action so Mr McEwan threw himself on to the floor of his boat, losing his rod and reel.

"I thought my number was up, the realisation was just instinctive."

There was a "huge bang" and his boat rocked violently as the other careened over the top of his, smashing his side railing, canopy, and bulwarks.

When Mr McEwan got up, lifejackets and fishing equipment were floating in water that half-filled his boat.

"I looked up and screamed at the guy you just `bleep bleep bleeped my boat and just about bloody killed me'.

"The guy was absolutely white, the first two things he said were `are you all right?' and `I should've bloody looked'." Mr McEwan suffered bruises and a sore hip in the collision. The two adults and two children on the other vessel looked shaken. One child had taken "a knock to the head".

They exchanged insurance details while another vessel's crew gave Mr McEwan a "strong cup of coffee" and alerted the Lake Taupo harbourmaster.

Although one of his pontoons was punctured, Mr McEwan's boat remained intact and could be driven back to the launch ramp. He was met by deputy harbourmaster Heath Cairns who took photos of the damage and suggested he head into town to buy a Lotto ticket.

The other vessel, a two-tonne cabin cruiser, appeared to have suffered little damage.

The incident follows the death of a 36-year-old Rotorua man on January 2 after a two-boat collision on Lake Ohakuri north of Taupo.

Harbourmaster Philip King said Saturday's incident was under investigation by Maritime New Zealand and could result in an infringement fine or prosecution under maritime law once both parties had been consulted.

Boats must not travel faster than five knots within 50m of each other, he said.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-01-08 at 8.56.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2012-01-08 at 8.56.33 AM.png (132.84 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Re: Another chambered boat "got run over"...

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Good gawd, if that happened here in the good ole "stickem till the sun don't shine, USA" the coast guard would have come, all the police, and breathalizers would have been given and drug tests and even the man hit would have been GUILTY till proven inocent and the next thing would be 5-6 hrs of paper work and loads of other Bullshet, and then the local TV channels would pick it up on police scanners and be waiting for interviews and then the laws suits would start and this would drag on for a year or so.

any of the parties involved had an outstanding traffic ticket, or the biotch that anyone was married to was complaining about back payments on child support, the cops would have a field day. Given a hand-out to investigate further and look good in the eyes of the chief, and get a promotion.

And if anyone involved especially the one that hit the other boat was a USCG licensed Captain, he'd have to bend over and take a giant ONE in the butt, six months down the line. Without a words notice and be subject to federal maritime laws and again, take even more up the butt.

And if ya don't believe me. You're truely mistaken.

(I didn't understand the "give the man a cup of coffee" deal? Is that down under code ling for a swig of whiskey?)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic