Do you wrap your boat for winter

General boating discussion
West Lake Willows

Do you wrap your boat for winter

Post by West Lake Willows »

Just curious what most you you do with your boat.

I shrink wrapped mine, but with the warmer then normal weather I am finding I would like to take it out. If it wasn't shrink wrapped it would be an easy tow to the launch and in the water. I don't want to cut off the shrink wrap at this point in the season so she is staying wrapped up.

What do you guys do with your boats in the winter? Does it make a big difference with an alloy to shrink wrap it?

Mine stays outside in the winter and is a pilothouse.

No snide comments from you lucky buggers that get to use your boats 12 months a year. LOL.
There will be a day that I am down there but as of now I have to deal with 4 or 5 months of winter.

Scott
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Do you wrap your boat for winter

Post by Chaps »

I don't see what needs protection from the elements on a pilothouse alloy boat . . . boat shrink wrapping is nice for more open boats with exposed upholstery, woodwork and instruments IMO.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Bigdog923

Post by Bigdog923 »

I wouldn't have spent the money to shrink a cabin boat if you want to cover it use a tarp some have used wood or pvc to keep the tarp from getting ripped on sharp objects and to keep water and snow from accumulating if you use your boat make sure you drain all of the raw water cooling system to keep your system from freezing
West Lake Willows

Bigdog923 wrote:I wouldn't have spent the money to shrink a cabin boat if you want to cover it use a tarp some have used wood or pvc to keep the tarp from getting ripped on sharp objects and to keep water and snow from accumulating if you use your boat make sure you drain all of the raw water cooling system to keep your system from freezing
I bought a shrinkfast gun a few years ago, so I shrink wrapped it myself which is the only reason why I did it. It is cheaper for me to shrink wrap it then to cover it with a tarp.

Do most of you guys that have cabin boats just leave them exposed to the elements?

Scott
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

I built a 25' by 25' Carport for my boat and camper. less mold and mildew. You could but a small heater in it with a timer to dry and heat the cabin everyday for an hour at a time. keeps the air flowing and remember to drain your pumps and motor after use.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

I used to cover my old hewescraft searunner during the winter lay up. It was not a self bailing deck. We get a lot of freezing and thawing here and I was a bit concerned with freezing and expansion damage. My current boat sits out in the elements all the time. The deck is welded and self bailing. I shovel it out and clear the snow off roof on occasion. We just got back from a visit to warmer climates. I should probably clear the three to four feet off her that fell while we were gone. Perhaps the 80 mph winds we are getting right now will help me with that. :beer:

Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

spoiled one wrote:I used to cover my old hewescraft searunner during the winter lay up. It was not a self bailing deck. We get a lot of freezing and thawing here and I was a bit concerned with freezing and expansion damage. My current boat sits out in the elements all the time. The deck is welded and self bailing. I shovel it out and clear the snow off roof on occasion. We just got back from a visit to warmer climates. I should probably clear the three to four feet off her that fell while we were gone. Perhaps the 80 mph winds we are getting right now will help me with that. :beer:

HOLY :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: CRAP

Just an observation from the warmer climate Westwillowlakes, if it was brand new to me and I had all those new toys, and there wasn't much ice, and the fish were still chewin', I"D BE OUT USING IT!
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

West Lake Willows wrote:
I bought a shrinkfast gun a few years ago, so I shrink wrapped it myself which is the only reason why I did it. It is cheaper for me to shrink wrap it then to cover it with a tarp.

Do most of you guys that have cabin boats just leave them exposed to the elements?

Scott
I didn't realize shrink film was that inexpensive. What do you figure it cost in film to wrap your new boat?

On second thought, given that your boat is painted and the fact that weather is never kind to paint maybe you are better off wrapping it. My old horse has never spent a winter covered, in fact its never spent a winter out of the water other than this one. I've got it out to freshen the bottom paint and save some slip fees.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
West Lake Willows

Thank you for the inputs thus far. I appreciate it.

The material to shrink wrap the boat was only about $50. The shrink wrap I used is 24' and 6mil my wholesale cost on it was $1.22 per foot. The main cost in shrink wrapping is time and equipment. The shrink gun was around $600 to buy but marina prices around here are about $10 - $18 per foot depending on the width of the material they use. Easy to see how fast it pays for itself. I wrap 5 or 6 boats a year. The nice thing about the shrink wrap is no flapping, no sagging and caving in, no seepage, and 100% UV protected. The way you put it away is the way you open it. Fantastic stuff.

We still don't have any snow which is crazy and although I have been ice fishing already there is lots of open water still too. I'd love to take it out but don't want to re-wrap it again.

Spoiled one, I see a cord going into the boat. Do you have a heater in the cabin?

Here is a picture just after it was put away about a month ago. I am not an expert and it is tough to shrink the product evenly on a cold windy day. Hence a few taped up holes and wrinkles.

Scott
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

West Lake Willows wrote: Spoiled one, I see a cord going into the boat. Do you have a heater in the cabin?
No, she is hooked up to shore power.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

I am not an expert and it is tough to shrink the product evenly on a cold windy day. Hence a few taped up holes and wrinkles.
Looks Pretty Damn Good to me. :thumbsup:
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

I think the issue of whether or not to cover a boat in the winter depends on the boat and where you live. Spoiled One’s boat and mine are similar – welded aluminum. Pilot House and he does not cover his – I partially cover mine. I say partially because I only cover the aft cockpit. If some snow, rain or wind can hurt the forward portion of the boat I don’t won’t to own it. I could get away without covering any part of the boat but I don’t want to.

We get a ton of snow up here in the winter and a bunch of thaw/freeze cycles and high winds. Even though I have a self-bailing deck I don’t want to mess with shoveling the snow out of the back deck and have snow melt and freeze all winter. My cover has a door with zipper in the side and a hole for the heater exhaust so, IF I want to get on the boat I can and I could even turn on the heated If I wanted to. Additionally, when I take the cover off in the spring it is much easier and quicker to get the boat clean and ready for the water with the back covered for the winter.

Another thing to consider IF you want to cover your boat are the winds and how protected you boat is from the winds. While you can cover you boat with a Blue Tarp IF you have high winds it may shred the tarp and scratch or damage the boat from the flapping. I have no experience with how much wind shrink-wrap can take.

Here are some pictures of my boat yesterday BEFORE the 12 hours of 40 to 60 MPH steady and peak gusts of 85 MPH hit. On other boats in the past I tried tarps and that was a complete failure due to the winds.

OBTY - The news just reported we should expect another 8" to 16" of snow tonight and tomorrow.

welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Shark Bait, I hate to be the one to tell ya Buddy but someone stole yer lower units.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

I like the cover, SB. It beats shrink wrap and the Wasilla tarps! Is there a reason that you cover the outboards other than you can? Did the cowlings suffer any chaffing from the cover?

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

No reason other than it keeps the sun off the cowlings for about 6 months. Willy at Busters built the covers for me and the cowling covers are lined with a plush lining that eliminates any chaffing or rubbing.

Welder - Yep they were missing when the photos were taken - if you see them in TX let me know. :mrgreen:
West Lake Willows

Out of curiosity, why drop the lower unit?

Love that clean white snow. Just wish it was warm.

I thought about shrink wrapping just the back. Trying to decide what to do next year. This is definitely an abnormal winter so most seasons I wouldn't have the opportunity to take it out now. It is certainly much cleaner in the spring when wrapped. Thanks again for the input guys.

Scott
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Shark Bait wrote:No reason other than it keeps the sun off the cowlings for about 6 months. Willy at Busters built the covers for me and the cowling covers are lined with a plush lining that eliminates any chaffing or rubbing.
Gotcha. My cowlings only see direct sunlight for an hour or two this time of year due to my retaining wall on one side and the garage on the other. :thumbsup: Hey, we are gaining 3+ minutes a day!

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

West Lake [quote][Out of curiosity, why drop the lower unit? /quote]

I don't drop the LUs for winter storage. In the pictures, taken a couple of years ago, they had been removed because we encountered a submerged, uncharted, underwater ridge which dinged both the LUs and the props. Rebuilt them both and put them back on the next season.

SB
West Lake Willows

Shark Bait wrote: I don't drop the LUs for winter storage. In the pictures, taken a couple of years ago, they had been removed because we encountered a submerged, uncharted, underwater ridge which dinged both the LUs and the props.
SB
Didn't mean to rub salt in your wounds. It happens to anyone who spends enough time on the water.
scott
Bigdog923

Post by Bigdog923 »

If the shrink wrap is done right it will hold up under high winds I know that shrink wrapped will hold up to 65 miles an hour driving down the freeway it is the way most glass boat builders ship there boats.I was thinking about something heavier than the light weight blue tarps more of the light weight truckers tarp if you shrink every year would it be cheaper to have one made to fit your boat that way you could take it off and on when ever you like
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

-How's ya'lls tires stand up on the trailer after prolonged "none moving" exposure.

Here, dry rot is big time. I'd almost think you guys would jack up and take your tires and wheels off and store them inside.
Back when I had three boats, and at least one sat for a long time. I at least got the tires off the ground and away from the damp grass/dirt they sat on. I always made sure to roll them up on boards a few inches off the ground.
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

Jetty: Good points. I have my trailer backed up on long boards in the driveway and I normally have tire covers on them but this year I had a mind fart and did not put the covers on. However where the boat is stored not much sun gets to the tires in the winter.

We don't see too many problems with "Dry Rot" up here - but it does occur and you need to pay close attention to your tires when you put the boat back in service in the spring.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic