General boating discussion
Challenge
Donator 08, 09,10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

5052 Should I look elsewhere

Post by Challenge »

Hi Folks,

So I was looking around and came across Stanley Boats, sold by:

http://www.twoharbours.com/

I remember them from a few years ago advertising in a regional magazine.

They stated this: "STANLEY boats are manufactured from 3/16" or 1/4"thick, 5052 and 5083 marine grade aluminum"

Should I be worried and look elsewhere?

I searched 5052 here and found lots of info, but nobody came out and said AVOID. Jay P in his Black lab days spoke of avoiding the thin 5052.

What are the current thoughts? :popcorn: I will be keeping the boat on a salt water mooring for 6-8 months a year.

Thanks in advance!

Rick
clambo
Donator '22

Re: 5052 Should I look elsewhere

Post by clambo »

Happy with my Pacific. Built like a tank,but that was the idea in the first place! :thumbsup:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Looks like one of the companies that tried to copy a Pacific23.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Challenge, 5052 is not the end of the welded marine world.

It is not up to par with 5086 or 5083; its softer and bends with less effort, but if you're not going to be beaching (?)

[FULL DISCLOSURE: BE CAREFUL! The Jettywolf may pounce on us poor Northern types with fewer harbor berths in the entire US North of Seattle than he has in one town 'down south'!!! He's never beach landed in a following sea so he's not sure why anyone would do that? Last season one of my old skiffs landed 6,785.00 US Greenbacks in one load on a gravel beach and went back for three more that same day. But since it doesn't happen that way in the tropics there may not be any (hook and line) validity to this method of fishing? So be careful the Wolf is lurking.... All three boats on this set gill net site 'netted' (pun intended) a little over 78,600.00 for the day- all landed on gravel beaches in a following sea, all 5086 bottoms. Buying the boats again, as they have for the 1,000th time in thirty two years.]

5052 will just hole quicker than the others and if the hull is not 'extra reinforced' will also fatigue sooner than the more durable alloys. But it is fine for vanilla waters and general use with fixed loads, or slip to slip or harbor to harbor fishing, 5052 will serve well and is not going to corrode away in a weekend or something.

Its like the old PC, it will work and it will take care of email but if you're doing lots of 3D graphics and lots of video editing? well the newer machine will do better. An old 1/2 ton Dodge form 1978 will still haul things if its running, but not compared to the Dodge Turbo Ram 3500 with a Cummings and some body's amped up chip set to 'push' things a bit.

If the builder uses 5052 then the boat should cost less than the pure 5083 or 5086 boats, but its NOT going to fall apart, its just not going to take the same 'hit' the other boats will and still bounce. But if you're a good driver, don't beach land and work in a harbor to harbor setting, 5052 is fine, but is less of a performance alloy than the 5086 or 5083 alloys in the same application.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
kmorin
Challenge
Donator 08, 09,10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

Post by Challenge »

Kevin,

Thank you very much for the concise and thoughtful explanation. It is exactly the insight that I was looking for. :thumbsup:

I'm always watching for a good deal on a boat that will satisfy my needs. but I think that I will continue looking.

Cheers

Rick
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Also..

Thanks Kevin as I probably learn more from you than anyone on the site. And I'm sure other's will agree with me.

(I'm just lonely for my own kind of user sometimes, that's all. It's been that way on many a forum)

Yeah not much gravel here, jus' lots of sand..... :rotfl: :rotfl:
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

Looks like one of the companies that tried to copy a Pacific23.
The Chinese are envious of that blatant rip off.Geez, you woulda thought just a wee bit of something different maybe???

==================

And Special K delivers once again! :clap: As Jetty alluded to, you have re-taught me Metallurgy 1001 with your well worded explanations. Many freshwater alloys like jons and the smaller skiffs are mostly 5052 I have discovered, as I seek a small one to fish the seldom fished upper reaches of some tributaries here. Beaching here is one of the Lakes is simply running up on Georgia Red Clay, a substance foreign to Alaskans or if in a creek, a few rocks but primarily fallen timber debris. And you will NOT be moving fast either, so impacts aren't a worry unless you are the $6 Billion Man and can paddle like 30 mph. Now the work boat side is entirely different with 5086 standard and the Mudboat guys use it exclusively in 3/16-1/4 plate as smooth as a baby's bottom for their swamp piercing tank-like skiffs.
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
speedboats

Post by speedboats »

Some manufacturers will combine the two, using the 5083 / 86 (H32, 321, 116) for the high wear or 'impact' areas, then use the softer 5052 or 5251 for less structural components where the advantages of a more malleable alloy to form more complex shapes is desirable. Look for where the alloys are being used...
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

I have to agree with the kiwi cuzzie bro. The softer alloys definitely have their place. I often use them for hatch lids so you can fold on a flange or dash panels so you can create good ergonomic panels without an excess of welding, but we never use them for structural components.
Chris Tucker Marine Design
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Gundog »

I have to disagree on some of the comments made about 5052. 5052 Al is softer than 5083 or 5086 that is a fact but to call it inferior is not true it depends on your use in fact if I were to run a boat into a rock I would rather it be made from 5052 you are more apt to have a huge dent as opposed to a huge hole. The 5052 will stretch and elongate much further before tearing than 5083 or 5086. Now if I were to want a bottom that I was going to drag on gravel constantly the harder material would be superior. For panels needing sharper bends 5052 is the choice it will bend much sharper before fracturing. If 5086 or 5083 were the answer to everything they would not make all these other grades to work with they all have their place depending on what the intended use is.

Boat sales people will steer you in the direction of what they sell and what ever grade they use is suddenly the best. It is hard to get at the truth because it usually lies somewhere between the salesman claims.

I do not profess to know nearly as much as Kmorin does about boat building I have read many of his posts and learned a great deal but I do know a little about metals and have researched their properties when designing things to be machined in my shop. All of my Anchor Brackets are made from 1/4" 5052 Al because if I made them from 5083 or 5086 the bend we make would fracture the material.

One other thing to note if boats made from 5052 were so bad why don't you read about those boats having catastrophic failures? Most Al boat failures I have read about have been caused by poor welds or poor construction methods and lack of support.

Mike
Fisherman

Post by Fisherman »

Seems as if I have heard that 5052 is less "corrosion resistant" than 5086. Is this a myth?
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

I was under the impression 5086 was more corrosion resistant than 5052 as well, anyone know?
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

MacCTD wrote:I was under the impression 5086 was more corrosion resistant than 5052 as well, anyone know?
Correct. General advice is to paint boats built out of 5052
Chris Tucker Marine Design
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
netman

Post by netman »

If I may add to this with little actual knowledge about 5052 alum. However being a owner of a Go Devil Surface Drive boat and Surface Drive motor that has been thrashed intensely on rocks and timber duck hunting. I can testify to the strength of 5052 alum. My GDSD boat is 5052 and has held up to some real pounding with only dents and scratches as a result. I would have no fear of building and using 5052. This from wanna be welder and full time commercial fisherman.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Gundog, 5052's tensile is lower than 5086 or 5083' so it will "tear" (or fail) with less force. If a panel of one size, say a 12"x 12" panel, of the hull of a boat that weighs 2,240 lb. all were made of each of the three metals each would resist puncture from the same exact rock/pinnacle/steel stake/pointed object based solely on the tensile strength or (first yield) then 'ultimate' or failure point of the material.

What usually happens is we compare boat A with boat C or E so the result of the 'tests' are not really an apples-to-apples comparison. If you've spent any time on the BoatDesign.net and read some of the threads discussing these types of issues (?) you'll see these discussions ( of material properties) can be "non trivial events"; as a close friend reminds me constantly.

I suggest- the only way to make this comparison is with a hand gun.

No one should take my word for this, but everyone should set up a Myth Buster's type of experiment- using hand guns!! :gunner2:

Take equal thickness pieces of exactly equal dimensions, of each alloy in question; and support them on a 2x4 frame. (for years at the old shop what we used were 2x4's at 12" inside clear area and we'd cut 15" squares to screw onto the frame flat but fully supported at the edges ) then fire the same exact handgun and loads into the three pieces.

I think this is a "fair" comparison (? but that may not be true? and I'm willing to discuss the construction of a 'good test') as the bottom of a boat hitting the rock? Here is the fast traveling object and the 'boat' still- but we still get to see how the metal bends or stretches or resists the same exact forces and can therefore compare the metal not using different tests and then trying to discuss the tests.

A boat is a ton or two moving at 45 50 mph and the bullets are a few grains and moving a thousands of feet per second, agreed, but the idea is to see which metal will 'take the bullet' and how it will behave.

Which alloy(s) hold and stop the bullets? Which alloy(s) doesn't? This is the same boat bottom that will do the same thing as for the boat made of that material. My advice is to use the .38 and modulate the loads from some wad cutters to something hot and jacketed. .357 or .40 cal and up will take some 1/4" plate samples to test so things get 'scaled' up and at .44 you'll need 3/8" and 1/2" (or more in 5052) to do the same experiments. (at least that has been my experience)

I don't say 5052 has no place, and is not a great product..... but its less expensive for a reason. It offers less performance. A 5052 boat and a 5086/83 boat of the exact same wt and shape and all other conditions being exact except alloy- (that means framing, welding schedule, and all other details) the stronger alloy is a strong overall boat.

Elongation before failure is not going to stop the softer material from failing sooner. If that were true then sheet lead, which will really stretch, should be good for impacts, and its not that good overall. The bullet test should demonstrate this for anyone who'd like to spend a hour setting it up. The only time elongation would be enough to absorb an impact would be where the impact is below the tensile anyway... therefore elongation is just a dent that the '86 and 83 alloys wouldn't have experienced or not as deep.

5086 and 5083 have different bend radii' because they are so much stronger and stiffer. 4T=R is what I use, and that excludes most of all presses or leaf folds not using a 1" nose bar! I know that sounds like a huge radius but its what is needed to keep from strain hardening the '86/83 alloys and '83 will fracture at that radius some times as well.

Not only are the '86 and 83 alloys stronger but as all 50series alloys gain both tensile and hardness when cold worked to the elastic limits (press braked, press formed, punched with rims, rolled) they gain more than the 5052 does, disproportionally more.

So a hull longitudinal of 8" width bent to a 6" x 2" angle in '52 will harden and increase its tensile along the bend zone and therefore that member can be reduced to 7-1/2" and the flange can be say 1-1/2" instead of 2" and the increased strain hardening and tensile shift will compensate for the slightly reduced scantlings.

But by the same token as the '86 and83 alloys being tougher in all aspects originally they gain more tensile and hardness for the same plastic deformation. It goes without saying you have to accept bends in a radius sufficiently large to avoid fracturing in order for this to hold true. So you can't bend the alloys with a steel knife edge and expect to gain much except more scrap.

Now back to the hull longitudinal. So the 8" 5052 piece was reduced by pressing to (say) 7-1/2" but the same member in '86 or 83 can originally be 6" total depth and bent to 1-1/4" x 4-3/4" and deliver the same 'as welded' strength to the longitudinal hull stiffening. Now... adding the increased tensile along the bend line and the extra hardening of these alloys and that same member can be reduced to a 1" x 4" member and perform equal to the 6" tall 5052 long.

(all my dimensions in these hull long examples are for the point of illustration;I have not taken time to do the comparative math of these longs but the relative depth vs alloy vs cold forming differentials are shown.)

Last item about impact and damage. If we take three exactly identical boat, moving at exactly identical speeds and were some how able to run them over exactly identical objects, we'd get results based on different reactions to the impact- those results would be dependent on the alloy's performance in impact.

Time is a very big deal here, but its happening too fast to 'see'/understand- easily. Each alloy will have identical forces at the same place at the same time. All the alloys will remain at or near the exact original location (no denting) and will continue to move forward (unless the impact at at the bow stem ! then it move upward) for some tiny fraction of a second. As the materials at the location of the impact are strained (that word is kind of important) each one will react based on its chemical composition and heat treatment. (remember for our discussion we're ignoring differences in support, framing, welding, and 'back up')

Each one will react in a time period based on the rate of approach of the first stage of bending. (yield/bend/elastic deformation) So if a rate of change is 1000 lb of force per 0.10 second then the alloy with the lowest/lower yield/failure is going too begin deforming or failing sooner in time than the harder/tougher/stronger alloys.

If the forces continue beyond the yield or 'elastic' force levels for that material, then... the forces may reach up to ultimate or failure levels. (plastic or deforming force levels) That is when the material will tear, puncture, or otherwise part. (rent asunder/FAIL)

To say the softer material will stretch or elongate and therefore absorb the impact without tearing seems likely it looks like an intuitive response to the impact. But the fact is the tougher stronger material will last better-as it will last longer in time. That time span means the stronger yield material will be less bent/gouged/dented when the boat move past the impact.

What happens when a blow hits a panel below the bullet speed impact? Depending on the material the forces are usually transferred into the overall structure and the location of the impact is not at or above the yield or ultimate strength force values. So the boat bounces.

Bouncing without dents, then bouncing with a dent, then not bouncing but puncturing or tearing are relationships to that particular alloy's ultimate tensile strength. 5052 is just lower than 5086 and that is lower than 5083.

I'm not an engineer, but I've shot a few pieces of aluminum and this is how I understand the Miracle Metal to behave.

netman, I hope no one reading my remarks thinks I have any fears of building in 5052? I have built some very nice boats of 5052 and will again (Lord willing and the creek don't rise) I was just trying to give a comparison to the tougher, stronger, and much more expensive alloys in reply to the first post.

gundog, this is not a simple topic for online discussion, and I hope you understand that I'm not authority just someone that has used aluminum for a while and these are my impressions, which may not be accurate?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
kmorin
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

I would love to see this experiment documented. If anyone has the metal and several caliber options...
OR, if anyone has the metal, we can contact the boys at http://www.theboxotruth.com/ I am sure they would love to run Kevin's experiment for us.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

I'd bet that a few searches over here, you'll have an answer. With so much down time due to the climate, there is plenty of time to experiment and the Alaskans don't fudge around with anything whimpy, because that will get you dead.
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Gundog »

Actually shooting with a gun is a very poor method to prove the point as no matter what they are both going to have a hole after the shot. A press with a controlled force is a much better test and would prove the point. 5083 and 5086 are both harder than 5052 that is a fact and I am not saying a 5052 boat is a better choice what I am saying is it will bend further before it fails and cracks. The harder material can not bend as sharp with the same radius without fracturing and failing. This is why they have more than one alloy. Like any metal the harder it is the more brittle it becomes that is the trade off. By saying you need a larger radius die to bend the 5083 & 5086 it proves my point.

Mike :beer:
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Mike, aside from your take on the testing method...tell me you wouldn't want to see some shooting of alloy plates! :gunner2: :highfive:
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
netman

Post by netman »

I have a S and W 460 magnum handgun ready for the testing :gunner2:
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Gundog »

I am always up for shooting the hell out of something lets go. :gunner2:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

.454 Casull here...

Jay Parotta has some .250 5086 that was shot with numerous handgun ammo, 9mm, .45acp and what not , NO holes just dents.
Lester,
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Ready here with .357/.38, 9mm, 12ga, and numerous baseball bats!!! :popcorn:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

The cool part about ALLOY is if you get a hole shot in it , it's just a small hole .

If you shoot NON ALLOY you get a big wad of splintered poopoo
Lester,
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Wasn't it ACB boats that claimed that they used 5052 to build their hulls because they wanted a more forgiving structure? I recall them dropping boats like 50 ft onto a concrete slab repeatedly then launching the boat to prove how tough they were. The bottom looked pretty messed up but it didn't leak. Of course the real test would have been to drop it on some big rocks . . . something tells me the results would have been very different.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic