Bruce Cope has updated his website

General boating discussion
Sculpin

Re: Bruce Cope has updated his website

Post by Sculpin »

akcat wrote:I see on his website the pictures of kingfishers and coastal cruisers, did he disign those hulls?
Yes he did. Those Coastal Craft's are probably one of the nicest alloy boats coming out of BC right now for cruising type folks. I like how he still designs boats for fisherman, lodges, and working class folk as well. That 19' outboard jet boat is kinda cool in how the inside pontoon type cavity act's as the framing. You can fit a quad in their too.

He has some Australian and New Zealand influence as well in his designs with the 28' offshore and 36' patrol boat with the flared bow's.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
jj225

Post by jj225 »

I like the 23' PH. So my question is how do you find a builder that will warranty the work? How do you do a test ride? Especially if there are only a couple out there and they're a 1000+ miles away? Or worse not ever been built? I've looked at Specialty Marine before but could never get past those 2 problems.
dave
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by dave »

jj225 wrote:I like the 23' PH. So my question is how do you find a builder that will warranty the work? How do you do a test ride? Especially if there are only a couple out there and they're a 1000+ miles away? Or worse not ever been built? I've looked at Specialty Marine before but could never get past those 2 problems.
This is a great question. I am looking for another boat, I am in the USA. The builders whose designs I like are in Canada. I am concerned about buying a boat from a small builder 3000 miles away in another country. I don't want a stock boat, but the style of boat I want is usually only built in larger boats. I may just have to suffer with my Alumaweld.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Glen Wooldridge has his 20' Pilothouse for sale on CL today.
He will build you his style of boat. a Small Guy like Dale Bean of Bean Marine Fabrication will build you a boat from your plans I think. A lot of hungry builders to pick from.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

jj225 wrote:I like the 23' PH. So my question is how do you find a builder that will warranty the work? How do you do a test ride? Especially if there are only a couple out there and they're a 1000+ miles away? Or worse not ever been built? I've looked at Specialty Marine before but could never get past those 2 problems.

If it were me, I would call Bruce Cope and ask him if he could arrange a test ride on a previously constructed 23 Ph. I'd also ask Bruce for builder recommendations. Folks on this site should have other builders you can check out as well.

Mike
jj225

Post by jj225 »

Well I did email Mr. Cope. Found out only 2 of those 23' boats have been built. Waiting for a reply back on the owners
so I can call them. Same with a builder. However, only 2 out there doesn't give me warm and fuzzies.
akcat

Post by akcat »

Sculpin wrote:
akcat wrote:I see on his website the pictures of kingfishers and coastal cruisers, did he disign those hulls?
Yes he did. Those Coastal Craft's are probably one of the nicest alloy boats coming out of BC right now for cruising type folks. I like how he still designs boats for fisherman, lodges, and working class folk as well. That 19' outboard jet boat is kinda cool in how the inside pontoon type cavity act's as the framing. You can fit a quad in their too.

He has some Australian and New Zealand influence as well in his designs with the 28' offshore and 36' patrol boat with the flared bow's.
I wonder if he ( or king fisher ) has made the corrections on the 3325? I know of two of them up here ( ak) that have had many issues with design.
Sweat Equity

Post by Sweat Equity »

Sculpin wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:08 am I just got an email back from Bruce answering some of my questions about the 26 foot walkaround.

The way it is drawn now it has a 100 gallon fuel tank. He said a 150 gallon tank would be no problem and even up to a 200 gallon (yes) tank would be doable with some hydrostatic calculations.

The hull is extendable by a couple of feet but there are some design and drawing costs associated in doing so.

The inside cabin width is 6' 4" on the charter style cabin shown. He has other cabin configurations coming in the future like a cruising configuration and a shorter cabin for those looking for more deck space (that would be me).

He says twin 150's would give a loaded boat (4 fisherman, lots of ice, fish, gear, etc.) around 42 mph or 37 knots top speed.

I'm going to be asking some more questions about this interesting vessel. This is a project I could build in the new shed. I have officially short listed this design as a possible future build.

I really like the 20 degree deadrise and the shear of the gunnels. The extra beam is nice for stability at rest and just plain old more room back there. The walk around design is awesome for bottom fishing or jig fishing. I would add door at the transom however for ease of boarding and hauling in barn door butts :thumbsup: .
Bruce's 26' hulls are total beasts on the water I have been involved in building a couple . Serious off shore boats , I resently finished a Cope 22'-6 center console very similar shear lines I believe he only has a computer rendering so I'll post a pic .
I will be building a Yellow point 23 this winter as well .
Attachments
IMG_20190804_121442.jpg
IMG_20190804_121442.jpg (69.41 KiB) Viewed 5191 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic