Rock damage repair Kvichak

General boating discussion
Chtucker

Rock damage repair Kvichak

Post by Chtucker »

The Kvichak that I linked in the for sale section to a craigslist ad has had repair work done to it. I wish the seller sent higher res pictures as well as pics without bottom paint.

It is hard to tell, but that had to hurt when they hit. I am really skeptical of this repair.

Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Rock damage repair Kvichak

Post by Chaps »

The repair can be redone easily enough if it doesn't look right. The big question is did the boat sink or take on enough water to screw up things inside?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

Dummy me didn't even think that the damage could have cause a sinking....

I will now put my head on and ask!
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

The repair can be repaired but as said above , what else happened . Sounds like a survey would be they way to go and that would give you piece of mind knowing what needs to be done to her .
The survey could also be a good tool to work on the sales price. :thumbsup:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

welder wrote:The repair can be repaired but as said above , what else happened . Sounds like a survey would be they way to go and that would give you piece of mind knowing what needs to be done to her .
The survey could also be a good tool to work on the sales price. :thumbsup:
What he said X2.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

It is just one of the boats and paths I am looking at....

I spent a few hours today in Marysville...

I don't think the sellers of the Kvichak are trying to hide anything... Just not very good sales people. I am contemplating a trip up there to look if I saw more convincing pictures. I looked at flights and I could actually do it in a day trip. I would arrive in Anchorage at 830am and catch a 930pm flight back to Seattle.

Or I just have the boat surveyed first... It's about the same cost.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Did you have good vibes in Marysville ?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I just posted up a really nice Coastal Craft for sale in the for sale section. Have you looked at this vessel yet?

It is located here in British Columbia in a small town called Gibson's (where these fine craft's are made). It is a lot shorter distance to travel to check it out and they (the town of Gibson's) have the best Gelato shop for the kid's. Just sayin'

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

On the list. I emailed coastal craft for hi res photos. Saturday we are going to Friday Harbor to look at the J&H boat, next Tuesday at the Aerohead..I need two days to go up to BC with the family... But Gelato is a huge draw for my wife.
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

X2 on John's post. To me, that looks like the winner out of all we have seen recently.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
BoatBucks

Post by BoatBucks »

Just a comment on the repair. While that looks like it was repaired by someone who really didn't know what there were doing, it's probably fine. Hitting rocks is common in my neck of the woods. It's not unusual to cut out part of a hull and weld in a new section. However, I've never seen a repair like that. Typically the only thing you see is grind marks and sometimes not even that. If done right, you will hardly notice it. Image
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

[quote="welder"]Did you have good vibes in Marysville ?[/quote

Of course. I asked a lot of questions and got good answers. We would get exactly what we want, brand new, with the latest building methods and most current corrosion prevention practices. Any issues that possibly would arise would be addressed and all warrantys would be in place.

That all comes at a financial price. If money was no object it would be an easy choice, but I haven't won powerball, nor do I have a rich uncle. Just fortunate enough to sell some a house that I built myself over 15 years and make a decent profit.

It was a great way to spend a Wednesday.
Illgotoo
Donator '12

Post by Illgotoo »

X3. That 31' Coastal Craft is definitely worth looking into.
It's not getting what you want. It's wanting what you got. -Sheryl Crow

15' Stabi-craft
17' Safeboat
18' Eaglecraft
16' Eaglecraft
CWB
Sponsor

Post by CWB »

X4. IMO that Coastal Craft would be the 1st visit I made! This was their early years but should be a quality build, nice size, great price, good name (resale value)!
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

Apparently it is priced right.. there is a possible pending offer on it... Price was dropped from $200k to $130k.
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Pending offer? I am guessing that if they offered asking price, it would be SOLD. Boats like that don't seem to come up often at that price.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Offers on used boats, even full price offers usually take a while to close due to the normal contingencies of having a survey done and the frequent renegotiation based on survey findings as well as sea trial and often the buyer will have financing issues or need to sell a boat first, etc. Deals fall apart all the time so its always a good idea to get a back-up offer in front of the seller if you have true interest in a particular boat.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic