The "Other" Boating Forum

General boating discussion
BroadCove

The "Other" Boating Forum

Post by BroadCove »

I'm sure like many of you, I frequent other boating forums. (AAB, of course, is my favorite.) What I find funny on some of the boards is the aversion to even considering alloy boats when it clearly fits the poster's stated needs.

A recent post on THT asked "what's the best, longest open fisherman with single outboard." The poster received lots of good responses for FRP boats. I felt an obligation to respond because those were some of the same criteria I had when I was looking for a new boat 5 years ago, and I went with a 26' Pacific. My suggestion was ignored, which is perfectly fine of course, but I find it funny. Other posters were talking about how much deck space there is on such and such a boat, but none of the FRP boats they were referring to have as much deck space as any of the aluminum boats in the same size/class that I've seen because of the three-piece build process for those FRP boats.

In another thread, a poster considering boat ownership was asking what about owning a boat was so expensive, besides the obvious (fuel, slip, etc.). cgrand responded on this thread noting that he hasn't had to spend any money that wasn't on a voluntary upgrade and has yet to buy a bottle of wax! At least in this case the opening poster responded to say they were considering an aluminum boat. At least we've progressed beyond the old saw that came up repeatedly years ago on that board that if any of us aluminum boat owners dropped a penny in the hull we'd immediately sink!

I guess I'm always amazed that so many boaters are unwilling to consider aluminum just because it's "different" or "unattractive" (in their view) or whatever. Jetty, Welder et al., thanks for creating a place just for us alloy folks!
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: The "Other" Boating Forum

Post by Chaps »

The big board has an East Coast focus and there seems to be a need for glamor and bling along with fishability over there. They'll grow up some day . . . :popcorn:
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Yeah......and C-Grand actually made a reply here one day not long ago.

I said "hey Chris, make one more post and you'll have done 10 on AAB!"

I guess he likes that abuse over there...... :skillet:

Yep, I see the exact same thing in the Physical. I get so many people asking me about my boat because of the room and toughness, and in the exact same breath ask me what boat I'd reccomend for the kind of fishing "we' do, but in a smaller version than a 26.

I say, "A BOAT JUST LIKE THIS ONE, BUT SMALLER :!: :!: "

Not enough people here """fish""" for my liking, but I still """show"""", in hopes of seeing a Gravois, or other bad azz alloy boat full of Trout and Redfish someday.
wickedlester

Post by wickedlester »

real boats are aluminum! i find overly flashy glass boats with tons of graphics and lots of useless crap molded in the way to be nothing more than huge jetskis!! truth is most glass boats r junk after 10 yrs... especially if there is wood involved... just the way it is :beer:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

What he said :arrow: jus' not as "wicked" :rotfl: :rotfl:
DwayneJ

Post by DwayneJ »

Pretty much all the "pretty" boats in the marina stay moored. Its interesting to see that most of the boats on the open water have a "used" look.
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

JETTYWOLF wrote:What he said :arrow: jus' not as "wicked" :rotfl: :rotfl:
HHHAAAAAA! Love it! PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Chaps wrote:The big board has an East Coast focus and there seems to be a need for glamor and bling along with fishability over there. They'll grow up some day . . . :popcorn:
Last year when I was in FL...I found what you said is so true...but funny thing is when I docked at a fancy waterside restaurant on Marco Is...I was stopped and asked many questions...and loads of folks walked down the dock to have a look at it while I was up eating some great grouper! It is pastel plastic and aluminum T-tops...funny! Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
simplepeddler

Post by simplepeddler »

I don't mind the guys that don't like alloy........what bothers me is those that have never ridden or been in a quality alloy boat.

Most think of "tinnys" and not the substantial boat that I own.

I can tell you that I have pulled into Marinas for Maurepas to Pensacola and everyone is curious when we do so.
Some of those gold chain guys are a little concerned that my boat may leave a mark on that pretty glass, but other than that I get real questions.

My other issue is around here everyone believes that Gravois is the "only" one to have..........but I beg to differ.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Want to see "THT Gone Wild" start a thread and ask "Which fiberplastic boat builder uses wood" OMG you will have every douchebag and their brother posting everything and anything from Cape Horn, to Grady, to Yellowfin, to Jupiter......."mine is better than yours because" then the fun will begin :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

I read and post occasionally there, so many participants that there is quite a bit of pertinent information for those willing to mine it. And yes, there is an aloofness there which you can almost instantly feel as you read through the threads begun by these filthy rich folks with $550k go fast boats who quite obviously ignore any replies outside of their clique. All boards suffer this to some degree over time and simply due to growth and diversity. But there are lots of regular working folks who readily share their practical experiences as do the members here and after a few visits you can quickly avoid the hoity-toity folk if you wish.

As I've posted before, us inland Southerners have next to nil contact with the types of boats discussed here unless we visit a Coastal locale, where you will find the Authorities using Alloy in almost every instance. I have fished exclusively out of a 14' aluminum jon boat for the majority of my Life. We simply didn't require more boat than that to fish the way we fished. In 30 years, we slap wore out a Ted Williams Sears 9.9 and two trolling motors and never had any electronics other than a depth finder and our Lights for Night Fishing. And you have not lived until you are fishing in a tributary just wide and deep enough to float said boat and find a 'deep' hole, which in streams may only be a few feet, and start catching the fire out of them only to have a water moccasin drop out of the limb above into the boat. :shocked: Good thing aluminum floats even after a .38 dispatches the snake with extreme prejudice. Repeatedly. :rotfl: Our little boat finally went to the recycle as the rivet holes finally exceeded the time and effort needed to slow down the leaks.

When I stumbled upon this site, I was exposed to an entirely new world of boating that I frankly didn't know existed. We do not see boats on average of 25+ feet with houses on them here, a 24' boat is actually borderline too big for all but the largest Lakes here simply due to the fact that the tributaries are where the fish are and the shallower, the more debris filled, the better. But my interest was piqued and here I am, reading along absorbing the tidbits that add up to understanding the build and design dynamics for the conditions encountered. You see, I've never been in the type of sea states those of you in the Coastal areas encounter as a matter of routine, so the learning curve is still there for me.

But thanks to many folks here, the sharing of info and answering my questions no matter how silly has been done with class and professionalism. To think that a major manufacturer would take the time to interact with the curious like me is really amazing and indicative of the character of the folks who participate here.
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
cgrand

Post by cgrand »

i remember back in the day it was me, chaps and jay perotta who were the only aluminum boat freaks on THT, for a long time as a matter of fact. there was one other guy who had a nice pacific but i dont remember his name

then welder came along and blew the roof off the joint!

i think it just comes down to what you are used to seeing
in south LA there are aluminum boats everywhere, and in some places theres a builder on every corner
same in alaska, pacific NW, etc

anyway, dont let it get to you
we know what the better boat is
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

I would have to agree with posts 1-12. I wish I was there when "Welder blew the roof off". :rotfl: I used to hang around with someone who had a plastic "go-fast boat. If the boat didn't go 70+ mph it just wasn't worth owning. Always cleaning it, waxing it & of coarse: fixing it. Gel coat faded all to hell. But I looked at like this: Wasn't my problem.

When I went on my first Pacific Boat demo ride, The very nice Gent pulled in the parking lot at the ramp & all heads in the parking lot were aimed at that boat, Same thing when going down the river towards the ocean. "Wow, Look at that boat", "is that thing Stainless?", "Is that thing bullet proof?" I never heard any of that when in a glass boat, Well, because it was just another glass boat.

I was asked once when launching my Lund in the river to go salt water fishing, "Don't you worry about that thing corroding in the salt water?" I replied to the Plastic boat owner, "Don't you get worried about that thing bursting into flames while driving it?" END OF THAT CONVERSATION. :rotfl: I don't handle hecklers that well.

But that is what I like about owning a metal boat, tinnie or platie, It is different than all the plastic ones that only come a few ways. And of course, WAY LESS maintenance. :thumbsup:
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

(ehehehehe) Chum line set on THT.....now we wait.... :mrgreen:

Edit: :thumbsup: Welder did such a good job that I don't even get a rise out of them....
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
BroadCove

Post by BroadCove »

I will say that I have in fact learned quite a bit on THT, including about plate alloy boats (from Welder and others before AAB was "born"). In fact, that's where I was (virtually) introduced to Jay Perotta. I met Jay in person shortly thereafter, which was easy because at that point his office was about 3 miles from my house. It's weird how the world works sometimes!
tash

Post by tash »

After reading this thread last week I joined your forum and am your (probably) newest member. I've been following THT for years and have garnered some good info but also recognize that many of them don't live in my world and really do not enjoy some of the ridicule that some seem to heap on innocent questions. I started my boating in a wooden rowboat, moved to an alum. johnboat, went on to own several glass bass, bay and offshore hulls and have now evolved back to aluminum. I fish out of Venice, LA using a 20' alloy boat made by one of the local commercial builders and will never own anything but metal. I even made my own a couple of winters back using a Specmar design out of Oregon. Just reading your posts and the amicable tone set here made we want to join. Hope I learn something.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Let me be the 1st to welcome you to AAB.com :!:

A fellow southerner. Thank you for joining. Some of us get kinda lonesome round these parts...specially in the winter as we can still fish 365.

Believe me, I'm also the first to wing a roundhouse kick here. But it's all in fun and jest. These are the brothern of the AAB. I hope they know I respect them even though I give them grief. Some of us know exactly what you're talking about. We got the T-shirt.

I too started in a 1974 built like a tank back then, 14' AlumaCraft and ever since then had the alloy in my mind, through years and years of glass boatmanship and a PHD in maintenance to keep up that dreaded re-sale value.

Fishin Venice huh. Was just down there Superbowl Sunday or was it Monday, and the place looked like a ghost town.
With that tiny "village" on every single fishing TV show through out North America, I was floored!
It's not that dead in my little area "fishing village" here in J-ville Florida!!

Let's see that boat(s) and don't hesitate to toss up some fishing stories, I'm an avid Speckled Trout Angler, so just seeing spots or dots gets me all excited.

My bucket list is to die fishing the shores of Lake Pontchartrain targeting Trout. Problem is I just need some inheritance to get there.
tash

Post by tash »

You should have seen Venice in December of 2005, which was the first time they would let us back in to check on the camp after Katrina. If it were not for the oil industry, they wouldn't have tried to restore anything. It is, however, one of the finest fishing places in the world once you figure out how to wade through the oilfield equipment. When I learn how to post photos I'll put up pics of my boats. I'm pretty old school with technology, but I eventually get it done. Thanks for the welcome.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Yeah, it certainly looks to me that you don't have to go to the end of the earth (Venice) to catch "my" kinda fish.
Venice is cool and all. But between the Trout and Tripletail, I won't need to go that far.

You can upload pix via your FREE photo album provided here. Then use the properties of the stored pics in between the image codes which is the "IMG" atop the posting window. It's super EZ once ya play with it a few times.

Pics can be uploaded to your photo album off your computers documents.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic