Rookie propper

General boating discussion
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Rookie propper

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I've been boating all my adult life. And at the same time never switched out props for better performance, or economy.

Always used supposedly the proper3 blade.

I know someone out there has all the dope on the hows and why of getting close to selecting the proper...PUN INTENDED
Prop when looking to go to a 4 blade from a 3 blade.

My 26' Pacific came with a Honda prop that's SS 3 x14-1/4 x 17R Who knows if that is even the best 3 blader....?
I don't.

Being a light boat, that always carries a load. I'm wanting less vibration (seems always evident in a alloy boat) and from what I read, slower at plane riding, better rough water control, and better slow speed manuvering. Speed isn't my thing.

Saving Dinero is. So if I can get even better economy, that's great.

I'm also gonna put a call into Prop Gods, here in Fla.
welderbob
Donator ,15

Re: Rookie propper

Post by welderbob »

I'm no prop god, I'm always trying figure the right prop for a boat we just built. To me the first thing is the prop turning in the recommend range? Honda's have such a wide range (5000-6000 ).I have a 24' with a 200hp Honda. I've been running a 15.5 x 15 x 3 SS. Motor turns 5400 rpm . Just switched out to a 15.5 x 13 x 3 now it turns 6200rpm , a little to high. The engine sound much happier with less pitch and pops up out of the water a little easier. Think I'm going to get the prop guy to knock an inch of pitch out of the 15.5 x 15 x 3. Can 't help you with the 4 blade.
Welderbob
Sjoman

Post by Sjoman »

Tom W. Clark who posts a lot on several Boston Whaler sites helped me out with some prop issues on my twin 1925 Pacific. He is located in Seattle, I don't have his e-mail but if you do a search on the Whaler sites you will find him. The guy is sorta a guru when it comes to prop selection.
76' Freezer long liner "Alpine Cove"
21' SeaArk Commander
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Not sure if it's my engine....but a rarely get 5 grand out the motor. I probably have something wrong with it as if its cold outside, I can get the V-tec to kick in and then get added rpms

Then when its hot outside, as in the other day.....4300 is all the engine would turn. And that also changes with what load I have in the boat.

Crazy shet, huh??????

So, I took off my Capt Macs skeg guard which I'm sure slows the water flow.
(discussed this before here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3475&p=28060)

Now that this is off, I'll see if I can get better RPM's. I remember when the boat and motor was new I got 5300 rpm a few times.

I know the motor does 5000, as I tried it in nuetral at the dock the other day.

I really expected so much more out of my Honda. But it's ugly paint falling off and looks like shet. And sure has had it's problems.

Next time around it will probably not be Honda, but rather paddles :rotfl: :rotfl: no problems with them.

Yepper, going to a 4 blade sure is a mystery, huh????????????
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

I cannot speak for your Honda, but I suspect a tech will say the same. You should be in the upper half of the factory recommended WFO RPM range. Personally, I would like to see 5800. If you at one point were at 5300 for a max WFO RPM you are over propped in my opinion. I think it is also important to push the throttle forward every trip or two and let her rip for a few minutes to burn the carbon out. That might be tough if you don't travel very far from the launch.

As far as four blade props go. If a 19" three blade is what puts you in the sweet spot, drop down to a 17'' four blade. It should give you about the same RPMs. It has been my experience that you gain hole shot, stern lift, maneuverability around the dock, and cruise economy with a four blade.

Just a bit of experience from a guy that runs a boat with a fort. :popcorn:
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

TOOK OFF "skeg guard".

And went alone after my numerous Kiddy charters...that pay the bills all summer while no real fish can be caught here.

Went and ran the dawg poop outa her.

At first I got nothing but 4500

I got 4800 on the next screaming run. (I'm ripping at 4800 rpm so it feels)

Then next WIDE-OPEN trimmed out, I go 5000 rpm.

Honda V-tec didn't want to open up and rip at first. (IE: changes lobes on crank, pushes rods, that in turn push open a different intake situation)

Next run, finally reached 5300 rpms...engine is screaming at that point. But good gawd the 26 handles it. I was doing it in a 2-3' chop at times. Skipping like a falt stone accross the washboard river.

I believe I DO NOT excersize this motor enough. High speed means HIGH $ gas bill in my mind, and I can't scream with bob and alice from indiana wit the two chilrenz 4-8 year old aboard. So.......maybe it ain't the prop.

It's my daily way of driving.
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

That could be. Perhaps you need to decarb the big 225? Yamaha sells ring free or seafoam will work. You should change the oil and perhaps the plugs after. I was told that you should run her WOT every once in awhile. I try to run wide open for a few minutes each trip to blow the carbon out. Still brings a smile to my face each time, too.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Dave, you have the same prop that I have and I get 53/5400rpms out of it but better mpg. I have another prop that will let me get 5800rpms [ little smaller pitch I think ] let me find it and I can mail it to you so you can try it out if you want.

The one you have now is what is called a" high rake prop" it gets the mpg . I lose abut 15% to 20% mpg with the higher rpm one.

Honda says running RPM's are 5000 to 6000 and red line is 6250 rpms.

You need to open that sucker up and RUN IT.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

I hear you Pete on the feel at full throttle.

Jetty I have a powertech 4 blade prop It is a 15" X 19P. I talked to the local guru who in turn Passed me off to the PT Engineer. Told me to get this one. I turn 5600 when trimmed out. His opinion was when going to a four blade you drop on inch on the Pitch. at 5300 rpm you need to drop down to a 15 pitch prop that would allow the rpms to come up to 5700 or just a little more. There has to be a local prop shop in Jacksonville that will swap props with you to test to find one you like or be a scrounge cause most boat owners have one or two extra props that we bought thinking that it would work. Ya know any local guys with a Honda? :mrgreen:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Just an added incentive to go see a prop guy....when I was traveling I was in the Everglades and polished the prop in the shells a few times, no damage...but I passed a BIG YAMAHA dealer along the GOM and stopped...they took mine off and asked what I was turning a WOT...they sold me a new prop installed it, and now the boat screams with some more RPM's closer to factory specs for WOT and the speed increased top end...the cruise was easier with better speed 1 to 2 knots for the same 4000 rpm..it just felt better...so a prop can make loads of dif. Fuel can't tell a dif.

But if you don't run these puppies then they will act up...so blow it out...with pax on board it sometimes can be an issue...make it part of the adventure ...a 5 minute high speed tour at the end of the day...wind in the face...flying low...hanging on...after a sitting still day of catching...wakes 'em up...leaves them with a thrill! And you just did your engine some good with some fun PR for the charter service! JMHO!!! Capt. PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

That sure sounds EZ, just bop on into a place and they fit ya with the perfect prop? Sometimes it's better to be lucky then good. At least that's how it is in the fishing business.

I pull into a place and all they can see is a boat they have no clue about. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Props:

Jetty ......first of all you have to figure how much weight you are haulin. Your hull is similar to mine and we have the very same high rake prop. When I start to load the hull up with weight she does not come out of the hole as quick. However I still get 5800 RPM up on plane. Also you will find in 2 to 3 foot chop your hull will airate on the water (break the hold the water has on the hull) and really zip along happy. Occams Razor hits 50MPH WOT at 6000 RPM , light load and less than half a tank of fuel (fuel is heavy). I run her up every outing to make sure the soloniod for the Variable Cam Timing works fine and the Plemium flaps let the engine breath . You can tell when it all working correct the quiet Honda has a very racey cackle to it at as soon as the VCT kicks in at 4500 RPM. You have followed my lead on using Royal Purple. Now for additives I highly reccomend Polytron Oil additive (metal treatment) and Polyron Fuel Treatment. These products are amazing and you won't believe the reasults. If you have any carbon formations or heavy residue build up in your engine these products will clean it and protect it like no other ! I have run test on it myself. Treat the oil every second change or once if you run your oil all season and run the fuel additive all the time. Our fuel quality in the USA sucks.
Four blades props were initially designed for the lake bass boat crowd to jump out of the whole. You are not going to jump out of the hole with 26 feet unless you have a V8 350 Yamaha back there . More engines give more drag but allow you to push more weight on plane. Hope this info help you out ......Good talking to ya ! Happy 4th :thumbsup:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

OC,

I've never ever hit 5800 RPM, even after break-in. Even then I got maybe 5300 and that's all I can get right now, with no load.

Somethings really differnet.
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Jetty:

You are either carrying alot of weight , or something is wrong . Your boat is much like mine and OR is pretty fast and get on plane pretty easy. You should have a tech check for full fuel flow , make sure your timing belt is on correctly and check
engine compression. You should try your hull out in the chop with everything out of it . See how much weight load is affecting your hull performance . You may be carrying olt more fuel than you believe if your sending unit is ion the fritz.
I would do that first (unload the entire boat) go let er rip in windy chop and see what you get . If she is still sluggish then we will have to dig. :thumbsup:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I'm very sensitive about weight. I carry hardy anything, except people. And when no people the boat is about empty of "stuff".

I think it's prop size. Because it just will not get any higher than 5300. And from the git-go when new. ( and ya know I own a lemon Honda. Had loads of problems from it over the last 5 years)

I hate those "anti-siphon" valves, because it's a restriction. And always a possible problem waiting to happen. So I git rid of it.

So....where do you get this miracle additive for the oil or gas. I test my fuel too, and many times do not even have 10% ethanol. But seems lately its all 10%, now. Been times when its as low as 5%.

My sending unit like every boat I've owned is not what I'd call majorly reliable like most. I want a Honda Multi-gauge, with fuel flow, for sure.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I wounder if your getting full throttle?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I've kinda looked at that too.......pulled cables and see if the lever goes to max.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

O.C.

Is this what yer talkin about?

www.polytrondirect.com
wickedlester

Post by wickedlester »

Hey guys.. been boating not inetting! Anyway popped in for a min. Go to www.propgods.com
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

yeah I know all about them.......got $400 :?:

I'm actually happy as a bearded clam I'm getting 5300. Welder says he gets the same with the same prop I have, and the drag of a T-top to boot.
wickedlester

Post by wickedlester »

U cld also try liftn ur motor. I just raised mine 3/4" and gained 300rpm. Better handling and 2mph too. U shld be able to clrarly see ur cav plate when on plane and trimmed out. I wld try to raise the rpm a lil. Good luck!
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I'm a big believer in Pacific knows what they're doing when mounting a motor.
I can do figure 8's going pretty damn fast and never get a blow-out (cavitation)
Not many boats can do that.
wickedlester

Post by wickedlester »

:beer:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic