Pacific faulty fuel gauge help

General boating discussion
pacifictime

Pacific faulty fuel gauge help

Post by pacifictime »

My fuel gauge has been reading full and not going down even when it has only 20 gallons left in the tank. Has anyone ever experienced this? Is the sending unit faulty or may their be a float in the tank that may be stuck? This first started happening this season after winter layup.I fill the tank for the winter and raise the bow high to aid in draining.My initial thought is that maybe a float is stuck, but not ever having to repair one I am not sure weatherthis is the problem or the sending unit is faulty. I checked all of the wiring conections behind the dash and they all seam tight.
falmouthmetal

Re: Pacific faulty fuel gauge help

Post by falmouthmetal »

Never had this problem but my guage has never been very reliable. When full it reads full, but when below half tank it is all over the place. When the gauge starts to read near empty when there is often still a lot of gas left which is annoying.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Check all of your wiring connections, may be loose .
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Lucky Louie
Contributor

Post by Lucky Louie »

If by chance the wire to the sending unit is grounded (Shorted to ground) the gage will read full no matter what the sending unit (Variable resister the float is connected to) position.

Try disconnecting the wire on the sending unit. (Usually held by a brass nut in the center of the sending unit) The gage should go to empty. If it does, connect it to a known ground. It should show full again. If this is the case, teh sending unit is bad.

If it STILL shows full when disconnected from the tank, try the same sequence again at the gage itself. If it (The gage) still doesn't come off full, its most likely broken.

Just a "Shot in the dark" thing.
pacifictime

Post by pacifictime »

Thanks guys, I will be looking into your suggestions.

Capt. Todd
www.pacifictimesportfishing
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

BE LIKE ME......

OR NOT because I haven't done it yet but will get "aroundtoit".

Go get the dealer to instal one of them Honda Gauges that does it all. Fuel metering especially. Like an ole "flowscan".

My gauge is either wrong sometimes, or I just don't burn enough gas!

So some day I'm gonna have one of them fancy gauges installed. Then, I won't have to depend on those wacky float style gauges any longer.

Yeah, HUGE COST. But add in the "confidence" you bought.

http://marine.honda.com/outboards/acces ... gauge-sets

I had a flow-scan gauge on my old boat, and it was amazing...when it worked. So don't get a flow-scan brand.
Challenge
Donator 08, 09,10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

Post by Challenge »

PacTime,

If the above suggestions don't work it could be the float, really easy to test w/an ohm meter.

I'm sure that Pacific can provide you with their supplier & Length of the float.

The company I dealt w/who provided the float in my old Grady was great and In FLA. I forget the name.

Good luck!

Rick
3f8
Doator '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17

Post by 3f8 »

Reading with the ohm selection on your meter it should read. Empty 240 ohm full 30 ohm, at least close. If the sender is bad check out the WEMA senders. http://www.wemausa.com
"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline.
Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
Hunter S. Thompson
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

Don't want to burst your Bubble, but you still need a sending unit in your fuel tank. Don't quote me ,but I think the flo scan function only works on 2005 and newer motors.

Bob
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

There's many fuel flow meters, some good, some not so good. Ya get what ya pay for.

From my experience, the fuel flow meters are worth their weight in dollars. Almost every single engine manufacture makes them for thier engines. And then there's one like Flow-Scan, and other after market brands.

Knowing literally how many gallons you've burnt and still have, and how to run the most economical is something a gauge will Never give you.

When I offshore fished out to 45 miles one way in a 23' CC, I went by the old rule, 1/3rd out, 1/3 back, 1/3rd for fishing.
YOU willl learn that with these meters, not a gauge.

IF, I was still fishing way offshore. I'd have one now (2006 Honda) I've just been lazy, since I do trips now and try not to go over 10 miles away from the dock, inshore.
falmouthmetal

Post by falmouthmetal »

I would be satisfied with a boat gauge that is half as reliable and accurate as a car guage! With all the high tech crap you can stick on your boat these days, you would think that this is not too much to ask!
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

They do have VERY good electronic gauges but the one for my honda last time I looked was $750.00.

I would like to know what I burn but with a 114.9 gallon tank , I can't burn it all in a day on my Pacific 23.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

falmouthmetal wrote:I would be satisfied with a boat gauge that is half as reliable and accurate as a car guage! With all the high tech crap you can stick on your boat these days, you would think that this is not too much to ask!
Actually, a flow-scan unit is much cheaper and from what I read and hear, better than my old one I had in 1997.

Yeah, you're right. I'd like the same out of an outboard...half as good as a truck engine, and half as reliable.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Remember any of these fuel flow gauges have to be calibrated to be accurate. I have the Yammie unit and love it :thumbsup:

The unit that came with my pacific isn't worth the power to blow it to hell :gunner2: Funny thing is when I was originally considering buying a Pacific I looked at three different boats, and each of the owners started out by saying the same thing......"the fuel gauge sucks" :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

C'C'mon Alloy.....tell us how ya really think.

I guess them NON-cypress bunk boards really killed it for ya, huh? :banghead:
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

JETTYWOLF wrote:C'C'mon Alloy.....tell us how ya really think.

I guess them NON-cypress bunk boards really killed it for ya, huh? :banghead:
Yeah my warranty was written on GRAY paper :nutkick:
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

I have been on over a dozen different boats & have known NONE OF THEM to have accurate fuel gauges. I always keep my tank full because I don't trust the gauge. And seeing how Jetty already got the pot "stiring" ( NO offense Jetty ) Isn't the "Pressure treated bunks" & carpet with an aluminum boat on top been a common problem for a while or is this something new????? :popcorn: I switched my trailer to rollers because the carpet has WAY too much friction.
Last edited by Sabs28 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

PT Bunks/Carpet

Yes it has been a problem forever

Yes every alloy manufacturer should give the consumer a big warning about this

Yes everyone should be handed a warranty card with this in big bold letters

NO :!: Not every manufacturer informs the consumer :idea:

I found out the hard way by Jack Winninghoff when he was fixing my Pacific :beer:
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

My dealer didn't warn me about the corrosion problem. I was told bunks were fine because "The boat is aluminum & should slide right up the bunks". NOT REALLY. :nutkick: :banghead: LOVE THE ROLLERS. The next trailer will have the UHMW plastic.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic