RayMarine VHF radio (Ray 240)

General boating discussion
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

RayMarine VHF radio (Ray 240)

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I gotz me "jigging feva" as ya'll maybe reading.....so this river rat is heading offshore again.

I still have my savviness about offshore fishing, ain't lost it totally.

BUT, there's a B-U-T with everything.

I need me some comunications, ya know just incase I have troubles out there 30+ miles from the inlet this summer.

#1, I have no place to mount an antenna, sooooo I talked to Julie our ever happy sounding Pacific boat gal and she is gonna help me with a bracket like the one I have for my GPS antenna on my windshield.
Okay, that's complete.

#2, I have no dash space, because I have the monster RayMarine C-120 display taking most of it up. So I needed something out of the way.....

#3, I want the RayMarine Ray 240 Modular radio version

Like a windshield wiper, side rails, and now a complete radio set-up I should have done all that in the beginning.....but cheap skate got the best of me. And now I have to do it all.....radio that is.

My Q' is; does anyone own this unit from Raymarine? Is it all as nice as it seems to be?

Can someone enlighten me on this radio set up?

It's exactly what I want, and if ya look it can be had for a mere $500, not counting antenna, base, bracket, and time to install.....whewww, I best book more T-rex Trout fishing charters, quick like.

I can take reservations via phone and a CC#.....C'Cmon! :wink: :wink:
warthog5

Post by warthog5 »

I highly suggest that you forget that Ray Stuff [Junk]

Look at the Standard Horizon PHANTOM PS2000.

http://www.byownerelectronics.com/store ... 585&page=1

Icom & Standard Horizon [S/H] are the leaders in VHF. I personally like S/H better due to their smaller footprint. There are some other things in the display that I like better too.

Yes it's true I don't like, buy or recommend Raymarine products.
"Just 'cause it's New, doesn't mean it's worth a Damn."
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Well that's what I was told from a friend that worked as an electronics tech for big ships and yachts. Seems like the barn yard chit chat....

But I'm very happy with my C-120, and it really is nice. Works like a charm for me. Still has capabilities that I haven't put to good use, as of yet.

I've owned them all from Koden, Sitex, Lowrance, Simrad, Raytheon...and have to say this is one nice machine. I have no preference to any.

So I'm looking for owner feedback, on the Ray 240 modular system, because I will be staying with "all one brand". Kinda like not mis-matching my tackle, kinda thing (sets of 4).

Just was looking since many Pacific boat owners have the capability of having dealer/factory installed Raymarine products.

So I guess none of these new owners have the complete set up or this VHF modular sytem?

Oh well....
warthog5

Post by warthog5 »

Still has capabilities that I haven't put to good use, as of yet.

I've owned them all from Koden, Sitex, Lowrance, Simrad, Raytheon...and have to say this is one nice machine. I have no preference to any.

That is because it is much more difficult to use a menu based unit as opposed to a unit that has "Knobs". Knobs are your friend.

Furuno has knobs and I didn't see Furuno on your list.

While the C-120 has a nice pix, [a buddy of mine has one] I can't just walk up to it and make a change. To many menus to jump thru. :(

Oh' yes I hear all the Raymarine folks saying they love their unit. I say your not using it's full capability and the reason is your running it in AUTO mode.

AUTO mode induces filters. Filters, filter out info. Ask any tech how to get the most out of their FF and they will say learn to run it in "Manual" mode.

So now your faced with a bunch of menu jumping.

I can teach you or anyone that steps on my boat to run my Furuno 582 in 2min without exaggeration.

Furuno learned how well small boat boaters took to this and brought out the 620 & 585. Their commercial units always had knobs.

Look at the commercial boats where those boys make their living with the equipment. You will not see Raymarine. you will see Furuno.

But the subject was VHF radio's. S/H, Icom and Digital brand antennas led the pack.
"Just 'cause it's New, doesn't mean it's worth a Damn."
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

SH Chart plotter on my boat
SH VHF/DSC on my boat

Absolutely no issues what so ever.......

Dave if you need any aluminum angle etc for a mount let me know. We've got scraps galore.......
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

They're making it at the Pacific factory exactly like the one they made for my GPS antenna.....didn't know that John. Or I would have asked.

I sent Julie a photo, and she asked around and they didn't have any laying around. It was a one off piece. So for $25 bucks they're making the exact one, so I'll just let it all happen. She was nice enough to make the effort for me. Since I was kinda stuck with no way to install a simple Digital antenna 36" whip even, which is all I'm probably installing.

Will have it 7' in the air, it's a 3db. Probably not excatly perfect. But as gas cruises toward $4.00 I don't see myself going all that far off shore to go jigging and not all that often to boot.

Kinda a bad time to really get interested in offshore high speed jigging, huh? Yeah, after spending $500 on rods and jigs and accessories, to now go maybe a 1/2 dozen times??? If I can afford that???

Especially after doing radio and all too.....$800????

I just may stick closer to the inlet and use my cell phone to a buddy if all this gets too expensive. And if I have a motor problem or something.

I got a little "Viking" in me, but only as much as my wallet can handle these days.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic