Ken hankinson plans need suggestions

General boating discussion
Wilynily

Ken hankinson plans need suggestions

Post by Wilynily »

Hello. I wanna start by saying you guys are a huge inspiration to me in my plan to build a alloy boat. I just recently bought plans from glen l marine and got the ken hankinson Kokanee 19-20 ft model in aluminum. Curious if anyone has built one or anything similar this is a framed design. Is a frame design good or bad with alloy boats? If anyone has any opinions or knowledge of even a similar design I would greatly appreciate it. I know the cnc kits are amazing designs just can't afford the initial cost of purchase. Am I going about building a alloy boat wrong should I look into other plans? Please any advice good or bad thank you very much.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: Ken hankinson plans need suggestions

Post by kmorin »

wilnily, first welcome to AAB.com and please understand there are too many opinions on boat building in welded aluminum to give you hard answers. If you'd asked if aluminum can be welded ; hard and fast answer. If you'd asked if welded aluminum was strong; hard and fast answer. But asking questions about opinions isn't going to get anything hard and fast; just opinion. With that said....

I'm not sure we can go to the 'good or bad' level, how about 'on the one hand...." BUT! "on the other hand..."

I know of a pair of Mr. Hankinson's designs that were built here in Alaska and they both turned out OK and run well. But, on the one hand the design calls for building with frames and not everyone builds that way. On the other hand frames offer the first time builder 'something to hang their hat on'. Unless you understand how to make a plate model and take off the hull panel shapes/outlines/profiles (these 'cutouts' are called all these names) then frames would give you a good way to start building.

When a metal hull is welded entirely, they become one piece of metal so framed or not, they end up pretty strong and stiff. The questions I'd ask are; What is your skill levels in layout, metal working, and especially welding? If you're just starting out, and don't have someone close by to advise that has built before? Frames may be the best choice.

If you do have access to someone nearby who's built without frames, then using that method of building would make sense. I think the issue is decided by your circumstances which include your current skill levels.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
kmorin
Wilynily

Post by Wilynily »

As far as laying out boat plans and lofting not much experience as far as metal working and welding I feel I am experienced I've built several things mostly being affroad trucks for Baja and did a whole lot of tig and mig about 5 percent in aluminum but understand the properties of it. I was in this industry for the last 6 years recently got out for a more stable job but with no fabricating challenge and now I sit here with thousands in tooling and and want take on a project that I haven't hit yet. Is it cost effective to hand cut and old fashion the first one for practice and working the bugs out.. Is there other plans that would be better for my application I plan to fish local offshore here in so cal. Thank you very much
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Wilynily, hand cutting is fine but he actual cutting is not where the time is saved in NC patterns of 'boat kits'. The time is saved in going from the PC/3D model of the boat to the final cuts in a very short time compared to learning to do the layout.

Layout is not hard but is not too fast; yes, you can effectively cut a welded boat by hand with skill and jig saws and it will turn out fine. But the layout is the key not the cutting.

Well I'm not sure what is available in the way of plans, and not sure what the hull you're looking for has to have? I'd define the:
Beam @ the chine
Beam Overall
LOA
Deadrise at the stern
Warped or monohedron bottom
Height of the sides
Speed of travel

Then email the various designers or pattern kit sellers to see if anything design is closer to your answers than the design you bought? Otherwise, use the one you have? Not sure how to answer?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
kmorin
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Welcome to AAB Willy. I could probably light a fire cracker and you could hear it :thumbsup: Kmorin is one to listen to :thumbsup: Rarified knowledge is what you are reading. I am happy to see two local build projects happening in the area. I am also very interested that you keep posting up on your builds. Pictures please.

Southern Cal is quickly becoming quite a Alloy hub. :thumbsup: Time to start thinking of a Gathering????
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Welcome :thumbsup:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Wilynily

Post by Wilynily »

Thanks for the responses guys I will put up some pics ASAP I am very open to any suggestions along the way so please don't hold back. I'm transferring print to patterns and material is on its way. Thanks again guys can't wait to get started
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

I hope this does not open a can of worms..........

1) What grade of Aluminum are you planning to use?

2) how do you plan on using your build?

3) The reason for building your own?.. Cost?.... Enjoy the satisfaction of a self build?

4) Work space?

5) Helpful technical friends? :beer:

6) Loving supportive wife and family? :thumbsup:

7) Read and understand what Kmorin is trying to convey.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Mark yo opened it up! :shocked:

The Wife will hate it till she gets to ride on it. Plans do not always go scheduled. Friends help a bunch. Place to build and equipment are Essential

Welcome :thumbsup: and I am standing By for more :popcorn:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Wilynily

Post by Wilynily »

I plan on using as much 5086 as possible from the looks of it there mite be savings in the long run.. Maybe the biggest reason I wanna build is I don't feel I'm gunna find production quality that I'm looking for in the price range I'm looking for. I think the satisfaction would be incredible...only if it floats: ). I plan on using it just for fishing local offshore I own a Parker pilot house already that I really like but have always loved alloy boat for fuel and speed. My build area is a 2 car garage I plan on doing a I closed carport in my drive way that could house the hull during the build. My wife hates everything but shoes and purses :deadhorse: so ima just go for it either way. Friends with talent for this stuff I should have sufficient muscle and dedication. There's only one way to find out. :mrgreen:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic