Dual station kicker throttle control

General boating discussion
BCTony

Dual station kicker throttle control

Post by BCTony »

I want to be able to have throttle control of my kicker both up front in the cabin and at the rear deck helm. My dealer tells me this is not possible so it looks as if I shall need to have the main throttle control at the rear and look to an electronic Controllking, ProTroll or i-Troll for in the cabin. The problem with these is that they all seem to fail quite regularly, especially in a saltwater environment.

I think I frequently see boats with dual throttle control in the cabin and on the rear deck. This would seem usually for the main motor(s). I only need to have dual throttle control for a Yamaha T9.9 kicker.

Is what my dealer telling me correct?

Surely what I am seeking to achieve is not such a peculiar request - so any advice or suggestion on how this can be achieved would be very much appreciated.
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Dual station kicker throttle control

Post by Chaps »

I'd venture to say that if you are planning to use a typical OEM control then you'll only be able to have one because they are side mount controls that come with kickers. If you opted for a control like a teleflex/morse or an OEM top mount then they can be daisy chained together like you would do for a main engine.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Gundog »

I have a TR-1 Autopilot on a T-8 and I installed a control at the helm and one in the fishing cockpit the kicker is a tiller control so it can also be ran at the motor. The TR-1 is now owned by Garmin. I just added a second control cable and control they also make a wireless remote for this system but I have not heard a lot of good about the wireless remote maybe they have fixed the old issues.

The auto pilot also allows me to steer either manually or by the autopilot in many different modes. These systems are not cheap though but probably not that much more than the factory control cables.

Mike
BCTony

Post by BCTony »

Gundog wrote:I have a TR-1 Autopilot on a T-8 and I installed a control at the helm and one in the fishing cockpit the kicker is a tiller control so it can also be ran at the motor. The TR-1 is now owned by Garmin. I just added a second control cable and control they also make a wireless remote for this system but I have not heard a lot of good about the wireless remote maybe they have fixed the old issues.

The auto pilot also allows me to steer either manually or by the autopilot in many different modes. These systems are not cheap though but probably not that much more than the factory control cables.

Mike
I am going with Simrad AP24 autopilot, NSS GPS and FF on this new boat. I shall be linking the main motors to the kicker and autopilot so that with the main motors turned off power will come from the kicker but steering will include the main motors. I hope what I have just written makes sense! I have a Garmin TR1 Gold on my present boat which overall I have found excellent and indispensable. The weakness has been turning power in wind or current unless I am able to help out by turning the main engine. Linking the main motors and kicker for steering will resolve this both by autopilot and direct steering, but,I would like to able to control the throttle at both the front and back on deck as with direct steering. (If someone would design a throttle control similar to the TR1 Gold handheld remote this would be ideal). It seems that Teleflex may have have a system that will allow dual control but as yet I have not been able to get beyond a 'I think this might work' response, or someone who has such a set-up in operation. Still working on this one.

Just a final note on the TR1 Gold which as I have said that overall I have found excellent and indispensable for me as I fish mainly alone. I have the wireless remote in addition to the handheld remote. I would not buy this again or recommend. What I have found is that all too often when one is attempting to use the wireless one is standing in a position where signal transmission back to the antennae is blocked - leaning over the gunwale to net a fish for example, or, standing at the transom fighting a fish. It is difficult to find a position for the antennae where it is 'seeable' by the transmitter in every situation. When it is not important and all on deck is calm it works fine but when in a stressed or hectic situation such as dealing with a fish you do not want to find you press a button on the wireless remote hung round your neck only to find nothing happens because you are standing between transmitter and antennae.

A full TR1-Gold fitted is somewhere in the region of $3000-$3,500; I would not think it should cost that much for a dual throttle control for this kicker. At the moment it looks as if it might have to be the regular kicker throttle control at the deck station with Controllking, Protroll or iTroll upfront.

More alternative suggestions welcome.
Last edited by BCTony on Wed May 29, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boatpoor

Post by Boatpoor »

It is possible to get controls for throttle and shift for the kicker at both stations using non Yamaha controls as Chaps stated. The problem is unless you go with a fly by wire system such as Teleflex KE4, you will have to use twin stick controls. Twin stick controls at both stations for just the kicker would take up a lot of real estate. You could switch your main and your kicker over to a Ke4 system and use a dual head control at both stations but you are talking about spending 5 grand or so to get that done and the cost would be much higher if you couldn't install it yourself.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic