stiff steering

General boating discussion
bigdogeh

stiff steering

Post by bigdogeh »

hi guys. I've got a 2003 30' aluminum pilothouse with twin d4.2L merc diesels (cummins) it has teleflex steering and comnav autopilot. It has fairly stiff steering. I've installed toggle jog levers to the autopilot so I can steer that way fairly effortlessly from both steering sations but I would like to try to free up the wheel steering if possible. I've been trying to read alot of posts and think I have it narrowed down to the bravo 1X (diesel) outdrives being stiff in the gimballs being the culprit... I've disconnected the steering arms from both drives where they attatch to the linkage which in turn is connected to the ram. the steering is almost effortless when there are no outdrives to push or pull.... I can steer with one finger with no problem. I think this rules out wrong hydraulic steering oil, or a bad cylinder or kinked lines.

So I then tried to see how much effort was required to move the drives physically from one side to the other and here is where i think the problem might lay. The starboard outdrive takes a bit of effort to push from one side to another. It seems to get stiffer at both extreme ends and not too bad when around the center..... it also stays and won't move wherever you take pressure off.

the port outdrive is stiffer still. and has the same symptoms as the starboard. it seems that there is quite abit of stiffness in the bellows but I'm wondering if it's a swivel pin and bushing problem? just not really sure how stiff it should be to push from one side to another.?

when I reconnected the linkage I reconnected the starboard side that I didn't think was too bad and it didn't seem to steer with too much effort. (although still abit stiff but much better just steering the one outdrive)

also I was wondering if it's possible to overtighten the top swivel pin nut? does this raise or lower the gimball? I notice on the starboard outdrive there is a slight gap between the tabs of the connection where the lower pin connects. there is more of a gap on the bottom and a slight (1/16th") gap at the top. On the port side there is no gap at the top and all the gap
is at the bottom leaving me to believe that maybe the gimbal is being pulled up too high and possibly binding at the connections causing stiff steering? does any of this make sense? or does it need to be all taken apart and greased up?

thxs for any and all comments and suggestions...

bigdogeh.
welder
Site Admin

Re: stiff steering

Post by welder »

Sounds like something is in a bind. I would pull it apart, clean, grease and reassemble.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic