Surface Drives the ticket to efficiency?

General boating discussion
dawgaholic

Surface Drives the ticket to efficiency?

Post by dawgaholic »

Reading around the many boating forums and keep running across threads where folks have gone with multiple OB's over an inboard setup delivering near equal performance at a hell of a lot better fuel economy. I understand the marketing side of this but at what point does practicality enter into it? Of all the variations of inboard drives, the comparisons I've read show surface drives deliver greater efficiency over every spectrum yet even the mention of such outside of the super go fast boat crowd is dismissed out of hand down here in the warm climes. Did some math and knowing what I do about diesels, were I to hit the Lotto bigtime (tens of Millions since the Wife would take all of it away from me :skillet: ), I'd be lining up builders to discuss such a project as a sportfisher in the 35-40' range utilizing one of the surface drive systems. An Alaskan builder has used Arneson Drives on boats in this range with great success and happy customers, so why is there such resistance from builders to even offer up these setups? Can't be expense, since such a vessel's cost means that one can damn well afford pretty much what they want, so what gives?
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Re: Surface Drives the ticket to efficiency?

Post by JETTYWOLF »

IF I EVER WON 10'S OF MILLIONS. THE LAST THING I'D HAVE IS A LARGER "HOLE" IN THE WATER.

I'D LET OTHER PEOPLE TAKE ME FISHING, SO WHEN THAT CRAP BUSTS. i WALK OVER AND GET A FRESH PBR AND GO IN THE A/C.
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

Did you see the fellows post over at THT?

I talked on the phone with him offline. He has been given a few choices of propulsion and wants hydraulics.

From what I gathered about surface drives. Great when they work, bad when they don't, hard to find an expert mechanic, hard to get the hull shape right for good control in reverse.

He was talking about 500hp 8.3 cummins. With drives the pair would be over $200k. The drives would stick out from the transom 50"
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Yeah, I can see Dawg with anything like that in "Lake BFE" tossing a rooster tail 100 yards long. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

CHtucker, yes I did along with another one buried there which is why I got curious. Commercial & Racing successes aside, there is much public cluelessness about the subject simply because the Tech trickle down to the consumer level hasn't happened nor been marketed. As far as cost goes, ~$30k will outfit vessels with the entire package of power & drive, less than comparable performance requiring multiple OB's and at considerably less operational cost & fuel need. About those rooster tails, there is none with a PowerVent system as well as next to nil heat or exhaust signatures, a fact our Military has already seized upon.
Boatpoor

Post by Boatpoor »

I was talking to Jim Lindell, the builder of Ocean Sport boats the other day and he is seriously considering adapting his boat design to accommodate surface piercing drives. The efficiency of a true inboard is marginal although bulletproof. The speed and economy of a duo prop drive is awesome but a liability especially behind a high torque diesel. He is looking to get the performance and economy along with longevity. I for one will be watching this development with keen interest.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Of course Dawg...."we" always buy those un-necessary things.
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

Not getting your meaning JW. Unnecessary things? :popcorn:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

The US Military spending to create jobs, and wars.
The "machine".
"we"- tax payers.
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

We part company on what the Military needs for a stealth littoral insertion vessel has long been a goal and has finally been achieved. I can think of...$177 TRILLION in unnecessary spending that has gone on since 1965 that we damn sure didn't need. A SIV costs LESS than those speedboats NOAA and DHS are running if that is what you're getting at. And since when did YOU pay any taxes, other than sales/property or SSI taxes? Though you were a businessman. :mrgreen:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic