Sliding VS Hinged Doors

General boating discussion
ehsvp

Sliding VS Hinged Doors

Post by ehsvp »

I'm getting ready to order the windows and the cabin door for a boat I'm building out of marine aluminum. The rear deck of the boat is approximately 8' x 9' so there is room for a door to swing out into that area. I was interested in opinions regarding the advantages and disadvantages of sliding vs hinged doors for that application. I understand the big advantage of the sliding door being out of the way but how about dirt getting into the track, water tightness etc.

Bob
welder
Site Admin

Re: Sliding VS Hinged Doors

Post by welder »

I vote SLIDING DOOR.
A hinged door takes up a lot of deck space and can be a pain.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

Sliding Door!
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

Make your own sliding door! The top and bottom track are cut from 2x2x1/4" box tubing. The rollers are sealed s/s roller bearings (mc master/carr ). The rest of the frame is made from 1/8" bent in a Zee shape. Its alot of work, but "store bought" sliders are expense. I'll walk you through it if you want to built it your delf.

Welderbob
Reelsalty

Post by Reelsalty »

All I can say is- I have a sliding door on my 22 f t Hewescraft and it works great. It was fabricated by the owner that I bought the boat from. I have been on other Hewescraft with the hinged door and I much prefer the slider. :clap:

Personally, I see no downside to a slider, only benefits.
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Gundog »

A hinged door won't be so likely to freeze shut when water gets in the sliding channel of a sliding door and freezes it won't open. I looked at your location just sayn.

Mike
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Slider works well; takes less room to operate. Droll a few holes in the bottom if you make your own like Welderbob discribes. Water drains out and none left to freeze.
I bought a double slider so the door opening would be centered.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
glen wooldridge
Sponsor

Post by glen wooldridge »

I have used both and like the hinged door if the door goes tight to the wall when open. A slider should have drain holes, but one problem in cold climates is if you get a wet snow and then it freezes at night, your door won't slide. Glen

Wooldridge Boats
1303 S 96th St.
Seattle, WA. 98108-5011
Hours: Monday through Friday
7:30AM to 4:00PM
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Yeah, layout on deck can make the decision for you. A swinger wouldn't work on mine with the narrow house, aft helm and solid mount seat (like my walmart bucket?). Door is sliding in poly tracks that are easy to fabricate if freeze-up is a concern but a deckhouse roof extension can help with that problem too.
P5090022.jpg
P5090022.jpg (89.14 KiB) Viewed 8083 times
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Bob5292

Post by Bob5292 »

I like the looks of a swinging door better, especially the all glass styles. The added visibility and light you get with a glass door is amazing except if you are trying to sleep. However if your hatches or fish holds cannot be accessed without closing the door then I would consider a slider. I have one fish box that can't be opened without closing the door, so it never gets opened and I store rarely used items in it. Also don't go cheap with the door stopper if you get a hinged door. I have an amazing magnetic stopper that I paid dearly for that requires a strong tug to disengage, but I have been on boats with manual latches and weak magnets that have been a real pain.
jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

I like my hinged door, but I have lots of room for it. It seems like most people like whatever they have if it is designed and installed correctly.
Jim

Boatpoor

Post by Boatpoor »

My vote is for a slider. I put a 70 qt. Cooler with a cushion just aft of the bulkhead and it makes a great seat and beverage receptacle. You can never place any items in the path of a swinger. I use my boat year round in all types of weather including temps well below freezing and have yet to have it frozen shut. Just my 2¢.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic