Transducer help and thoughts

General boating discussion
Chtucker

Transducer help and thoughts

Post by Chtucker »

Through hull or transom mount? I would imagine that through has a better chance of performing more accurately while on the go. Since we will be in the water 365 days a year, what would be the best option. I am concerned about dissimilar metals. I have not decided on electronics yet. I have dreams and then there is a budget. I would like to go with Simrad NSE12 at the helm and two 7" displays. One at the rear station and a second in front of the passenger bench. 4G radar and probably for now use the built in sound of the 7" displays. The other option of course is a Lowrance HDS10 which has the built in sounder and expand as $$ allows

Any thoughts..
Kimbrey

Re: Transducer help and thoughts

Post by Kimbrey »

Something for you to consider.
When I sold my Arima to buy my Duckworth I pulled the Raymarine C127 MFD and put it on the Duck. In addition to that I installed Raymarine's CHIRP module and transducer. The ducer is a transom mount. It is also a beast weighing in around 14 pounds. I was seeing bottom at cruise at well over 200 fathoms when running out to tuna fish until I zeroed in to the top 50 feet to look for tuna. I think the install of the ducer was good and also the CHIRP tech helps...I think. The transom mount is working well.

On a side note I'm starting to like the CHIRP tech. Salmon fishing this fall out of Westport where I'd probably be fishing to top 30' I was seeing fish below the bait closer to the bottom. Dropped the gear down closer to the bottom and got my fish.
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

Thanks for the feedback.. Besides lack of dough, all the manufacturers have something to offer.. Too many choices.

Good to know you are happy with the transom mount. I don't need a final decision till December or so..

Howard
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Howard
Lowrance has the price point but can't use the 1000 Watt Ducers to it's Capacity. 600 Watt is all that it can read. Simrad can use the 1000 watt. I have the 264SS Dual transducer in the hull. I had to drill 4.5" holes two each in the bottom. there is a plastic ring that goes in the hole then the ducer sealed with 5200. Spacer and the nut goes on the inside. I have Structure Scan. Gil Simperfifishing on the hull truth sold me my ducer. He is knowledgeable on what works with what. My two cents. I like the Simrad but the price is large to play. :shocked:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

Would you have changed your mind on the through hull if you were keeping your boat in a marina year round?
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Chtucker wrote:Would you have changed your mind on the through hull if you were keeping your boat in a marina year round?
No. The nut and 5200 will keep everything in it's place. As to finding things on the cheap like Electronics keep an eye on THT clasifieds. Find the second station. I did. Now that the HDS systems have been out for more two years. The new HDS Touch came out last year. People will start to upgrade.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
onwhiskeycreek

Post by onwhiskeycreek »

Our boats are moored and through hulls are always a worry. The part of through hulls that usually fail are the hoses or valves, I've never heard of a failure from a through hull transducer. A friends boat did sink with a stern mounted transducer(heavy rain, lost mounting screws, and a failed bilge pump system) On boats when things go bad they really go bad. Price point and performance I think are the issues. We are waiting to upgrade to the new transducers, just added auxiliary heads that supported NEMA 2000 this season. Have really enjoyed the advances in the gps, update rate and maps (although they added quite a few rocks that we didn't know were there, and in a few of the narrow sneak passages it actually shows the boat in the water) How are the new transducers in being able to "see" halibut?

Gary
28 Alumaweld, 26 Olympic, 23 McGregor Venture sailboat, 5 Kayaks, 2 canoes, white water raft and cat, beach skiff and a rib
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

This is one way to do it. Centreline mounted through hull 600W ducer on a tab at base of transom with a 1KW TM260 mounted on a slide. You could tab mount a 12 or 20 degree offset ducer
on your bottom/transom junction plate where ever it will work. Less drama than cutting holes in a perfectly good sheet of alloy plate.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

peterbo3 wrote:Image

This is one way to do it. Centreline mounted through hull 600W ducer on a tab at base of transom with a 1KW TM260 mounted on a slide. You could tab mount a 12 or 20 degree offset ducer
on your bottom/transom junction plate where ever it will work. Less drama than cutting holes in a perfectly good sheet of alloy plate.
That makes the most sense to me..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic