Can a tuna door be added ?

General boating discussion
v26wa

Can a tuna door be added ?

Post by v26wa »

What do you think ? I'm sure anything can be done but I would like a job done as well as the factory. I see its a $600.00 option. I dont think I could get it done now for that much. Should I just leave well enough alone ? Any East Coast recommendations for a factory finish ? Thanks for your input..
mysticmarine1

Post by mysticmarine1 »

I'm not sure what type of boat you are looking to add the tuna door but...

I'm sure it could be done. To do it right you'd probably want to contact the mfg and talk with them about structure once you cut a huge hole in the hull. The nice thing about an alum boat is it is not that difficult to cut or weld.

As for the price, I think your $600 would work if you did the work yourself but since you're asking this question I assume you're looking for shop cost.

I like to look at jobs by the est hours. So pending on the structure that you'd have to rebuild...figure a guy for a day to cut the stern 8 hrs @ $75 per hr = $600. I say a day because between doing a proper layout, moving everything that needs to be moved, & actually cutting...the 8 might be light. Then the rebuild, figure a guy for a 1 1/2 days $900 pending on the detail of the structure. Then figure another 1/2 day for fianl fitment & finish work. Add up all of your material/hardware costs and lokking at probably between $2500-$3500. Not a small or cheap job.

I'd be interested to see what someone else thinks.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

The cost option for the door while building is around $600.00

You might call Julie at pacific and seeif she can send you a door and the filler pieces for the transom then just find a shop to knock it out.

Just a thought and Jay might jump in here any time.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

That is a very good idea Les. Even with all the puzzle pieces, still probably a full 8hr day for a welder, right?
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Yep all day job.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
mysticmarine1

Post by mysticmarine1 »

wow...I guess I was little off on that one.
NUKE

tuna door fabrication

Post by NUKE »

Mystic I think your est based on not seeing the work first hand is not going to cost you money ,and after seeing the proposed site of tuna door your time and materials might be more in line with the lower figure.

A basic 18" notch out of rear bulkhead cut through 2 3/16 surfaces ,then 2 trapaziod pieces sized and welded exterior surface to interior surface and a rectangle piece for the threshold .
this does not affect the structural integrity of the craft and has been done for many years. sometimes with an aluminum door or a slide in plastic panel.

I think Dave (v26wa) is close to you and and if you could see it up close you could give a better est. Considering the work you have posted of your own boat and the excellent workmanship of your studio I'm guessing that the out come would look natural.

You guys are only 20 min away from one another too.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Be aware I got a small "one off" bracket to match one I already have from Pacific and it was $25.00, so I'd find a fabber and let him study some pics on the web site and do his own thing.

Also, for less money they went to the starboard piece versus a "door".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic