Repainting my Pacific flooring

General boating discussion
MacCTD

Repainting my Pacific flooring

Post by MacCTD »

Thinking of repainting the flooring on my Pacific. I want to use a light tan color, think it will look a little better than the grey, there was a Pacific a few years ago I saw pictures of that had been repainted with it and I really like the color. My current paint is in good shape but stained here and there.
I am considering Monstaliner and Rustoleum Restore from a quick search. Anyone have an experience or suggestions? I am thinking the Monstaliner is a tougher product for this application as it is two part, I also like the look of the textured finish it appears smoother with less spots for dirt to get trapped.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Re: Repainting my Pacific flooring

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I went OEM and used the same paint as Pacific uses. You can get it with out the "grout", just high grade grey paint.

Kinda costly though via the shipping. Made a few coats with and without the grout, so now my deck isn't as rough. Not sure if I like that.
But it is what it is now.

Farwest Paints...they know who Pacific is and the color is #222 grey I believe.

Yes, now if the time to do it. I do every thing the wrong time. I did it several times in JULY in FLORIDA....I seriously don't reccomend doing it in any heat with 10000% humidity, cause it dried almost instantly!

The cost of living where everyone wants too....(except for me.)
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

Thanks, I do not think I need anymore texture after I looked it over last night. I would just like to change the color and make it all uniform. I will contact Farwest.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
capesteve

Post by capesteve »

what kind of prep work did you need to do before painting? Is it possible to touch up worn areas on the deck?
Capt. G

Post by Capt. G »

Dave how many gallons would I need to do just my deck?
Any adherence problems going over existing deck paint?
Plan on doing this in the spring as my boat is currently filled with 20" of "white Christmas"!!
Capt. G
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

I called Farwest. I spoke with Dave he said they could sell me the same paint with or without the texture and I could simply clean the existing paint well and paint right over it. As for color they can use Sherwin Williams paint codes so when it gets closer I will go to my local Sherwin Williams store and pick out my color they call Dave back and order the paint without the texture. I think it will be a simple project, the only thing I am concerned about is removing the gunnel mounted rod holders, hopefully the SS 1/4 20 screws can be removed and have not become corroded into the aluminum.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

MacCTD wrote:hopefully the SS 1/4 20 screws can be removed and have not become corroded into the aluminum.
If they are stuck they drill out easy with a cobalt bit
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
capesteve

Post by capesteve »

Dumb question perhaps but how do you drill the screws out? break the head off first then drill? I have struggled with these things before and they are a pain in the but!
dingahling
Donator ,15

Post by dingahling »

Was there an answer to how much paint is needed to do the floor ?
dingahling
Donator ,15

Post by dingahling »

capesteve wrote:Dumb question perhaps but how do you drill the screws out? break the head off first then drill? I have struggled with these things before and they are a pain in the but!
I'd try to back out the screw with an impact driver. If the head breaks off, I take a pointed metal punch and dimple the center of the screw with a hammer & punch, then drill out screw with a bit of the same diameter as the screw.
At least that's how I've done it... :banghead:
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

capesteve wrote:Dumb question perhaps but how do you drill the screws out? break the head off first then drill? I have struggled with these things before and they are a pain in the but!
Chances are its a Phillips head machine screw or sheet metal screw, a drill will self center on that. Use a cobalt bit.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic