Berkeley Engineering's Candu EZ

General boating discussion
hershey2014

Berkeley Engineering's Candu EZ

Post by hershey2014 »

Berkeley Engineering’s website no longer exists and a number of emails to their email address have gone unanswered.

I am really interested in getting built a aluminum mini tugboat similar to the Candu EZ. I would prefer a model with an outboard mounted inside the stern. Someone here on this forum may be able to help me answer a few questions about the plan or give me a place where these plans are posted.

What is the hull weight, freeboard forward and aft, hull depth and type, height overall, headroom and cockpit size? What is the minimum recommended HP, maximum person weight capacity and maximum weight capacity?

Any help would be appreciated.
JRR7127

Re: Berkeley Engineering's Candu EZ

Post by JRR7127 »

hershey2014

Post by hershey2014 »

Sorry to say I checked this site and the information I need is not there. Still need help on this one. Any one out there who has bought these plans?

Thanks.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Hershey, I don't think this little 'cartoon' boat is too common here at AAB.com Forum so I'll try to answer some of your questions to see if that will help.

I've never seen plans for this little skiff, with some 'tug like' features, but that shouldn't stop us from making some common sense conclusions for the purposes of your original questions.

hershey2014 wrote:What is the hull weight
Well the links shows a 1200 lb boat that planes so I'll guess she's not truly a displacement boat and has no ballast. That means the engine, fuel, battery and glass are about 400 to 600 lb so the hull is about 500 to 700 lb depending on the material thicknesses used.

Aluminum is 350lb./ft^3 so 1/8" thickness @ 1.77 lb per square foot for this small a about is not unreasonable and that is 14x2x4' deep + 7'x 14'x 2 for the bottom and deck or 300 in the bottom and deck and another in the sides.. so around 700 to even 800 for the hull and cabin is not outlandish.
hershey2014 wrote:freeboard forward and aft
well, I's say this picture shows about 3' of freeboard at the bow stem, based on scaling the 2" (2-3/8" OD) pipe rub rail upward, and about 2' aft. I also used the cabin ht, as 6' and worked downward from there as comparison.

"
hershey2014 wrote:hull depth and type
again the link shows a planing hull so its flat bottom or nearly so, on the other hand the depth is listed as 20" but over riding that is the skiff planing. So the leg or outboard was added to the draft, it wouldn't plane of a boat was 20" of bottom draft.

Further you can see her on the trailer that the boot is only about 6-8" above the flat bottom! so she is only about 7' top to bottom roughly
hershey2014 wrote:height overall
above.
hershey2014 wrote:headroom and cockpit size?
It shows about 6' of headroom but a few inches in helm ht will not make any difference. The cockpit- isn't. The tiny 7' wide (or limited by the tumblehome to 6'6" BOA) is then shortened to an extreme by the engine provision inboard! I'd say the useful deck is less than 6' x 3' as shown in the link?
hershey2014 wrote:What is the minimum recommended HP
a 1hp trolling motor will move this skiff- its flat bottom, relatively easy to push due to the Plan View shape and so there is no minimum horse power. The more push you add, the faster it will go and the more it will pull/push/move.
hershey2014 wrote:maximum person weight capacity and maximum weight capacity
there is no real difference since in this small a boat, the total capacity is about the same; just divide the total by a person's wt to find # of people? I'd say she will carry safely up to 10" above her DWL. That is because she is limited in carrying capacity by the transom ht and I'll estimate that as 19.5" above the DWL so 10" or half that transom ht is her safe carrying capacity? Some may say only one third that added waterline ht.

So if she's 14' long and 7' wide lets say she is about 80% of the square area (round full bow in PlanView so the waterplane is only 80% of her 'squared area')? So that's about 78 maybe as low as 75 square feet on her waterline. Now a foot deep is 75-78 cubic feet, or 4,800 lb. of displacement. But we're only going for 8-10" of that depth so maybe 4000 lb total? lets drop that to 8" or 3200 for a safe load? that's more people than can stand on her decks, and there is no room to load her either, looking at the photos for information.

Not sure if this was any help, but the information is just conjecture from the link, and the assumption that this design was generally followed in the build from the plans you intend to use?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
JRR7127

Post by JRR7127 »

And if kmorin didn't answer your questions, maybe you can call as it seems they can build you one.
http://www.deardenmarine.com/Contact-De ... -boats.htm :beer:
hershey2014

Post by hershey2014 »

Thanks Kevin. I am a newbie and your answer helps a lot. I did hear from Berkeley Engineering and they said their website should be up in the next few weeks.

Bill
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

toot-toot cartoon boat, thats funny.

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

want small here ya go......Aussie made alloy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic