32 Fearless - Most awesome plate alloy CC ever?

General boating discussion
iLIVEoffshore

32 Fearless - Most awesome plate alloy CC ever?

Post by iLIVEoffshore »

Surprised I have not seen this posted here yet. It's headed to Long Island, NY.

Click the following link for an excellent build thread:
http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... -18-a.html

Do they make a 25 with single F300???

OnShore today.
jj225

Re: 32 Fearless - Most awesome plate alloy CC ever?

Post by jj225 »

Didn't read the entire thing but a couple of things stuck out. One is I find it hard to believe that that boat will only weigh 7-8k lbs. dry. Two, that thing was sitting on a dual axle trailer. I'd want more than 2 wheels per side for something that large regardless of weight.
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

Looks like a nice boat, though I do not care for painted aluminum boats.
A little disappointing the guy having it built registered and posted his Pacific for sale here but not the build of his new boat.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

MacCTD wrote:Looks like a nice boat, though I do not care for painted aluminum boats.
A little disappointing the guy having it built registered and posted his Pacific for sale here but not the build of his new boat.
Actually he did both here on AAB, BUT, being new had some picture resizing issues.

Remember. if you set your camera or phone to take 1024 X 768 or smaller your pics will post right up to the site. If you use Photo bucket they resize for you automatically.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

After looking at a Pacific's 'jewelry TIG' quality weld beads and their very clean, uniform MIG weld standards, I was surprised at the welds in the series of linked photos. I found the TIG to be so-so, not nearly as refined as the Pacific's stern beads that are nearly robotic in cleanliness, and the MIG beads shown to be much less uniform than seen on lots of other production boats???

The boat design is very obviously high grade/finest kind, the structural elements and fits are as good as it gets, I really like the box beam Y support on the D-8 Cat headache rack that is used for a T top, and other design features are elegant and very attractive. The extraordinary level of post-welded hull finish was surprising as they left the mill scale on the 'bright' areas of metal? It seems incongruous that folks who would pay for the sand blast, primer and then FILLER to dress out the topcoat would leave the mill scale on the interior bare metal surfaces instead of etching like Weldbob's Rocksalt 275 shown on another thread?

I don't know how this will age in the Gulf climate? Here in Alaska these surfaces would be as flowery as a florist shop the day before Mother's day in about 15 months. I'm sure folks with the level of sophistication to produce such an elegant welded boat will already know how these surfaces will perform in their area? Just not something I'm used to seeing.

I would like to read sometime about an apples to apples comparison between three boats. One, a monohedron like the unvented Rock Salt , Two, a single stepped mono'drn of the same wt and power; and Three and a double stepped hull like this one, in regard overall top end, fuel use, and other related comparisons that would illustrate the relative value of this design element? I know there are lots of comparisons but I can't find any outside the David Taylor Model Basin tests where the exact hulls were compared. All I find are opinion pieces, which are somewhere to begin, but not a true apples to apples comparison.

OF course, affording three identical hulls except for their steps would be a good reason why such a comparison is not readily available?

Sure is a pretty boat, even if the topsides finish & paint work is worth more than almost any boat I've ever built! I'd like to see photos of her interior surfaces in 2 years, just to learn how they performed with mill scale left on?

cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

Interesting about the welds, I thought the same thing from one of the shots of the bow locker. How do you think it compares to the original RS? http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2008/Ro ... 5t6_cJOXIU
Any guess at the cost and build time? Seems like it was built very quickly if the pictures are real time.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

welder wrote:
Remember. if you set your camera or phone to take 1024 X 768 or smaller your pics will post right up to the site. If you use Photo bucket they resize for you automatically.
It is still an A S S pain to resize even in photo bucket. Most other sites allow the bigger pics and if you ever blow up pics to hang at the house you want to maximize your camera's ability to capture a pic. I haven't posted pics as frequently as I used to...just saying. :nutkick:
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

AH! We must meet this one called Blindchicken, AKA Rick. All kidding aside I'm one hour west of Rick. I use to work in Greenport. I'm sure he knows somebody I know out there. Maybe I can drag the RockSalt out there for a little show and tell.

Welderbob
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

spoiled one wrote:
welder wrote:
It is still an A S S pain to resize even in photo bucket. Most other sites allow the bigger pics and if you ever blow up pics to hang at the house you want to maximize your camera's ability to capture a pic. I haven't posted pics as frequently as I used to...just saying. :nutkick:

Must be a Mac user. :doh:
Lester,
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

welder wrote:
spoiled one wrote:
welder wrote:

Must be a Mac user. :doh:
I am but that isn't the issue. Just seems silly to me.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

We need to get our Photo Album fixed here on AAB, it would take a VERY large picture uploaded from your PC but when we did some upgrades the PA didn't make the trip. We are looking for a better album to work with that works with the site.

We have been told that our host company will have cool features like VBulletin has pretty soon. :thumbsup:
Lester,
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Both my work computer and my home computer has Microsoft office Picture Manager Software that i use to resize them. My issue is no more Tapatalk!!!!!!! My phone and the browser on it does not like AAB :banghead: My Biggest reason I never finished my Journey here. The Pictures used to be auto sized from my phone to here by tapatalk. Just saying I WANT IT BACK Please :eyepop:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Rick

Post by Rick »

jj225 wrote:Didn't read the entire thing but a couple of things stuck out. One is I find it hard to believe that that boat will only weigh 7-8k lbs. dry. Two, that thing was sitting on a dual axle trailer. I'd want more than 2 wheels per side for something that large regardless of weight.
I just saw the postings. I am the guy who is having the boat built. We were just there and saw the boat for the first time. We are extremely impressed. MS has paid a lot of attention to detail and she handles really well. The boat should be in NY within a week. The boat will be weighted soon but with motors should be around 10k lbs.maybe more.
I think if you see this trailer you would see it can handle the weight no problem. It is very heavy built. The axles can handle a lot of weight. The trailer alone was 10k.
There is a complete build thread on THT. I tried to post here but had some problems.
Rick

Post by Rick »

welderbob wrote:AH! We must meet this one called Blindchicken, AKA Rick. All kidding aside I'm one hour west of Rick. I use to work in Greenport. I'm sure he knows somebody I know out there. Maybe I can drag the RockSalt out there for a little show and tell.

Welderbob
I have a dock in Sterling harbor.
Any metal boat is welcome especially a Rocksalt.

Rick
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic