Need some input?

General boating discussion
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

Need some input?

Post by aluminumdreamer »

Alright, I may have found a boat I am going to look at. Its short money but might fit my needs with some modification? Heres the link.... http://maine.craigslist.org/bod/4552449085.html

Not my ideal configuration... Listing says cuddy is built out of plywood.... If the hull wasn't damaged or horribly modified to add said cuddy I could easily turn into a center console. Anyone have any first hand experience with the manufacturer? C&W Industrial....

I am thinking of going to look at it tomorrow. I learned a lot from my last boat, so I have a good idea what to look for....

Any ideas or input?

Thanks,

Nate.
welder
Site Admin

Re: Need some input?

Post by welder »

Nate, they are a Canadian Co. and looks like they have built quite a few hulls.
I could not find what Alloy they use or their welding techniques. They have been in business since 1972.

If I were you I would want to jack the hull up off of the trailer to get a good look at the bottom from the outside and dig all you can under the deck to see what you can see. Also check the wood used, is it Pressure treated? If so, walk away.
Check the transom for pitting and the painted hull for blisters in the paint and if there is ANY DOUBT in your mind..... WALK AWAY!

The price they are asking for the boat is low BUT if the hull is screwed you could spend many thousands of hard earned dollars trying to make it right.

The 90 HP honda might run fine but is it enough power to get you out of trouble? Looks like a repower would be in the very near future.

Not trying to scare you off of it but these are all things to look at. Wish I lived closer to look at it with you.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

The engine is almost worth that much . . .
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

Thanks guys, all things I've thought... I feel like I've learned enough from my last boat to stay out of trouble... It doesn't look like the most heavy duty hull, but at least it's welded and not plastic. I don't have a ton of money to work with and the wife really wants to get back on the water. I can't bring myself to buy a glass boat, if this thing isn't junk it should do the trick... I'll keep you guys posted.
Nate
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Nate "Get-er-Done" and enjoy the Summer
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

Well unfortunately? It sold before I got there.... Maybe it's a sign? Seemed to be a cheaper option than building? I'll find another soon enough... Thanks guys. Can't wait to document a build or rebuild here.
Nate.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic