Newby advice needed

General boating discussion
BahiaDeLosAngeles

Newby advice needed

Post by BahiaDeLosAngeles »

I am new to this forum and to alloy boats. My only experience with aluminum boats is my old Grumman canoe and that does not really qualify. With that in mind, I could use some advice from the experts here and would like to thank everyone for the interesting forum and great advice.

I am about to retire and have been saving my money for a trailer able fishing/pleasure craft boat. I am looking at somewhere between 18 and 22 feet. I intend to spend summers in Wyoming and adjoining areas with the thought of exploring the lakes, reservoirs and rivers of the west. No, not white water or crazy jet boat stuff.

In the winter I intend to head to Bahia de Los Angeles in Baja, Mexico. It can have some bad wind conditions and dangerous weather so I will have to be watchful there. I am not a huge fisherman, but more of an explorer of the waterway and coast.

Any recommendation of make/model would be great. Any pros or cons of features would be great. Safety is number one on the list. I realize that is most dependent on the person operating the boat, but safety features can add to this. Beaching is definitely in my plan as is protection from the sun and elements. I have looked at center consoles, but would like to know the pros and cons of other styles.

I like alloy for its strength and low maintenance, but one of my big concerns is corrosion. Bahia does not have lots of fresh water and I don't see anyone washing down a boat after each use. Am I asking for trouble if I expect to use the boat regularly and not wash it down? I can pull it out on the trailer when it is not in use. There is no marina so I do not have to worry about faulty electrical systems at the dock area. The summer use will be fresh water so I am less concerned then.

I have seen the comments about the need for more than one boat, but that is not the plan. I also would like to stay with a 1/2 ton or at most 3/4 ton tow vehicle. I currently have a Nissan Frontier V6 4X4 that is rated at about 6000lbs towing capacity. My boat budget is no more than $40K complete with motor and trailer, but I would like to stay below that. Since that is on the low side for many alloy boats, I am not against a dependable used vessel. That may also limit me to the 18 foot end of the size range.

I will start hunting in earnest after the first of the year, but want to start refining my wish list now.
pjay9

Re: Newby advice needed

Post by pjay9 »

Welcome! Looking back at my first taste of aluminum, it was like yours a conoe at a BSA camp, dented and cold on the knees. My second was a 12' Valco with a 10 Evinrude. So it has been embedded in you from early on as it was with me.

I think your thoughts on used is good for the lower cost and maybe being rigged with extras. As for type you are the only one to figure that out, but this is the place to get the opinions and your questions answered. In fact, I bet if you spotted a boat on a Criagslist far from you but close to someone on here they'd go have a look for you and report back. With the way the economy is there are some deals out there...and you may even get more boat than you think is possible. There may even be some folks on here that live close to you and you can actuarrly visit them. BTW, I stick with a 3/4ton.

Good luck!
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Welcome to the forum! Aluminum is ideal for the types of uses you describe wanting to do, mainly tough and light weight. A few of the participants here hail from Baja and they seem to do well with boat types like the fully welded Bayrunners (Klamath) that they can not only beach but easily beach launch if that's on the agenda. Corrosion won't be an issue for you assuming you buy a boat constructed of marine grade alloys and you have the hull sufficiently protected with self-sacrificing anodes. If you plan to leave it in salt water for extended periods most here would recommend a good bottom paint job be performed.

Check out all the boat brands here: Master Alloy Boat Builder List

As far as protection from the elements its tough to beat a pilothouse though boats with extended tops on center consoles might be sufficient or windshield boats with canopies.

To get a taste of used boats check out Seattle craigslist. Alloy boats up here are so common that many of the postings won't have the word "aluminum" anywhere in the text or title of the ad so if you search using that term you'll miss a lot of what is for sale up here.

some samples of current listings:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bod/4574763284.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/boa/4586250554.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4584768085.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4540662003.html
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Give Kenny a call at Tradewind Inflatable & Marine [949-631-7334] tell him Les sent ya from AAB , they are in Santa Ana/ Coasta Mesa.
I know he has some instock [Klamath] and a customers Pacific23 in the shop.
I had an 18' Klamath I towed everywhere with a 1985 Toyota 4 cyl.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic