New Build Ideas?

General boating discussion
paddler

New Build Ideas?

Post by paddler »

I'm contemplating a new build and would like some ideas. I have some constraints and unconventional ideas, so would like suggestions from other alloy boat owners about things they really like about their boats and what things they'd change. Here are the basic parameters:

1) Trailering weight not to exceed 6000#, boat, motor, trailer, fuel, coolers, downriggers, fishing gear, etc.

2) Size somewhere in the 23'-24' range, 102" beam.

3) Single main outboard, no kicker. Really like the Suzuki DF175 with digital controls.

4) Pilothouse, no Alaskan bulkhead, no aft helm.

5) Splashwell design, brackets need not apply.

6) Full electronics package, including single large FF/CP display, HD radar, autopilot (probably Simrad AP24 with wireless remote, or similar), downriggers, VHF, etc.

7) Budget $100K.

I think I'd like a shallower V than is commonly used, with wider chine flats. The DF175 comes only 25", so a shallower V is probably necessary in a splashwell design. I don't need to go fast and would like a hull that planes at a lower speed, anyway. Thirty knots at WOT is plenty for me.

Fire away.
jj225

Re: New Build Ideas?

Post by jj225 »

Good luck. Think your under budget. Lee Shore will set ya back almost 100k w/out all the electronics etc and that was for just a 22'. Can't remember if their quote included the motor and trailer. Crozier will be close and you won't run the boat with a 175hp. Armstrong even more expensive. Not sure who else makes a boat w/out the offshore platform but if it's custom it'll probably be expensive. Maybe Lifetimer but they're expensive too and up in Canada.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Is the primary reason you don't want an offshore bracket is that you need a big slop well for bleeding tuna? I think being able to do that would be great though I'm going to suggest doing a hybrid design where you have a full height transom and a motor bracket (like the final iteration in Kevin's post) but instead of the usual set of cabinets across the back you have a large open top bleed box with overboard drains. It would hold more fish and you wouldn't have your engine and controls sitting smack in the middle of your fish box. Since most of the builders these days have gone to brackets it would be easier to get them to modify an existing model to incorporate a bleed well on the inside of their existing transom than to revert back to a conventional engine splashwell. Bleeding big bloody fish that come onboard quickly is a hassle and most guys just leave the fish lay in the cockpit or they have trash cans on the swim steps . . . a big built-in bleed box that a gaffed fish could be dropped into then cut would be cool IMO.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
paddler

Post by paddler »

Yep, I bleed my fish in the splashwell. I plan on tucking the batteries, etc, under it, using Optima's if necessary. Most bracket boats have a transom fish box, which makes fishing around the engine even more difficult. I will not have a bracket. Period. I think it's an outdated design, as I said on Kevin's thread, and they look silly to me. No offense to guys who think brackets are cool, just personal preference.

As Kevin said, cockpit space is expensive real estate. I hope to have 5'x7' of space, nearly double what I have in my Hewes, as it's 3.5' x 6'. I figure $20K for propulsion, and have a bid for $18.5K now. Figure $10K for electronics, $6K(?) for a trailer, that leaves $64K for the hull. Figure I'll save a bit of money by not having the AK bulkhead and a sliding door. Sounds doable to me, but we'll see. I'm a bit flexible as far as budget.
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

I would caution you that you should not force a design based on the "outside dimension" criteria. Chad Crozier built a 22' for a client that was very specific about length/width to fit into his garage. It was for sale for a few years (another story) but when I caught up with the buyer in the San Juans I asked how he liked the boat. I had actually made an offer on it about a year before.

He gave me a weird look and said "Its very tender"

From the look on his face, I gathered that it was not going well and he might have regretted his purchase.

Chad did what the customer wanted without taking the sea worthyness into consideration.

Don't force something down a designers throat to get it into your box.
paddler

Post by paddler »

LOA is important as it relates to weight. That's all. I don't expect the new boat to be tender, as it will be both longer and wider than the Hewescraft. It won't fit into my garage, anyway. Just trying to maximize fishability and efficiency. Actually more interested in special features guys have on their boats.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic