Is this fixable and what should it cost

General boating discussion
Chtucker

Is this fixable and what should it cost

Post by Chtucker »

Lowe riveted aluminum boat. NO damage to hull sides, just the welded on gunwale extrusion that is painted. Quote for the part was $178.00... Total repair cost was estimated at $11,790 with sale tax. New boat is probably $15k INCLUDING THE MOTOR.

This is a friends boat.
Attachments
Cats phone 6-16-2014 247.jpg
Cats phone 6-16-2014 248.jpg
Cats phone 6-16-2014 250.jpg
Cats phone 6-16-2014 250.jpg
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Re: Is this fixable and what should it cost

Post by goatram »

+ the Weld time, Paint, Decal, and Carpet for the inside.

It can be repaired but it will take some time and money. Besides the ANal Eye Factor it should not hurt anything except your resale value. Keep eye on it to watch it.

A Badge of Honor or shame to remember the story to be told to all :nutkick:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

That looks like a dandy place to mount a bracket for a pot hauler, dive ladder or some other accessory that would provide a great excuse to cut off the bent part and weld something else in its place :thumbsup:
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

Unfortunately I was involved.... and it was a coworker/friend

Someone was sitting in the drivers seat and didn't even stick a hand out.....We were rafting up.. Don't know what the etiquette is, but neither of us were anchored, we approached each other.

I was going to pay out of pocket...but then got the estimate of $11,792.

My insurance sent a surveyor and told him to pound sand....

I can't/won't pay $11k out of pocket, and he refuses to get a second estimate.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

need some more pics. showing more detail. Someone is running a scam? :gunner2: :gun3: gunner1:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

some friend! who gave the big estimate? the dealer?
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

This is the only other photo..
I am just looking for confirmation..

I wanted to do the right thing... The insurance company asked him for another estimate, he refused. I don't want to take the boat around for estimates... I already am eating in the shorts over responsibility.

I have good insurance (I believe!, it is a true yacht policy. They basically laughed...

I was in shock when he showed me the estimate.. I would have thought when he got it, he would have realized that he should have gone somewhere else. The "incident" happened in June and he didn't get the estimate till September. He has been using the boat all summer.
Attachments
Cats phone 6-16-2014 256.jpg
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Say again why this is your fault?
Were you negligent?
Why $11k? - Are they going to replace the boat's entire gunwale?
What part is $178?

sum ting wong wid dis pictcha

tell him to pound sand
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I would go to the "Dealer" where he took his boat and punch someone in the throat to get some answers.
As far as friends go, that Friendship is over because he is such a mommas boy

Ill guarantee you that the dealer wants to just put a NEW HULL under all of hi old stuff, I don't know of many dealer that have a FAB Shop on site.

If it was was my boat then it would be my bad because I was the dumb azz that did NOTHING to protect my own boat and you owe me nothing. :beer:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

The top rail extrusion from now to transom was quoted as $178, the decal at $450 and the rest was labor, paint and welding.

No the is no other damage, and yes his wife has told him it better look new.

I guess that means a new boat.
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

I also posted this on the THT... Not single person there or here slammed me for being irresponsible....most have said I was going above and beyond...

I felt like crap when it happened and I felt much worse when I saw the estimate,

I wasn't going to argue responsibility when it happened. I am unwilling to now trailer his boat around looking another estimate as I don't want the added liability/responsibility. I felt like when he finally got the estimate he should have said WTF and went somewhere else.

There are a number of aluminum welders/fabricators in this area. The paint work might need to subbed out. I am no welding expert, but I believe a piece can be sectioned in without too much of a weld showing. Maybe do the section from the windshield back.

I am trying to be a stand up guy, I was willing to pay out of pocket, eat the increased insurance and possibly get canceled next year.

I don't know if he had/has insurance.

I outfitted him pretty good when he got the boat. I gave him 1/2 dozen fenders and two $175 crab pot setups to use, Stuff I had wheeled and dealed for on Craigslist.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

The negotiation at this point should be between him and your insurance company and he'll just have to take what he can get, but I still don't see why this is your fault.
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Totally agree with Chaps...and tell your insurance co that he has to get other estimates...and BTW, where is your ins co estimator/adjustor? When I had a claim on my camper my folks sent an adjustor out with in a week. This is BS...So he's not much of a friend any longer!!!! What happened to your boat or is yours tough enuf not to fail? Your ins should be stepping up, if they are not I have an agent that will get you some insur that deals with stuff. :gun3:
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

The only issue I have with my insurance is that they got the estimate at in September and didn't decide to decline till this past week. They went off the estimate he provided, pictures, called the dealer who provided the estimate as well as had a surveyor review the photos and estimate.

My insurance company asked him to get a second estimate and he refused. His suggestion was that I get other estimates. Again, I am not taking on any more liability at this point. I feel like I am getting hosed already.

I hadn't brought it up with anyone here as I was a bit embarrassed. I asked earlier in the summer about polishing some light scratches out and this was why.

Even with cars, two estimates are not unreasonable. I felt a bit better when my insurance company asked for a second quote. They didn't flat out deny it, but they weren't going to buy a new boat either.

I broke the rule about not saying anything.. I guess I shouldn't have said sorry dude.... I was trying to do the right thing, and try to do unto others. I have felt like crap about this since I saw the estimate.

It's like a motorcycle.... Kick it over when you first get it home. Then when you drop it off the stand the first time it won't hurt as much.
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

Post by Gypseas »

The way I look at it his boat was hit on starboard by your bow I assume?

That means you were approaching from a point where you were to be given yield, you know red means stop, so why should you be responsible for his not attempting to get out of the way.
Just sayin`...

good luck
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

From the picture it appears the dent is on the Starboard side of his vessel. There are many factors I am not going to bring up here until we have had further fact finding. I advise not to own up to any of these senarios...it is for you to ponder...First rule as stated, don't say anything!!!

If you were approaching him in a crossing situation then he is clearly at fault. If you were overtaking and he held his course and you hit then it is your fault. If you were over taking and made that clear and he changed course then it is his fault...now this is being simplistic as you must define crossing, overtaking, made clear...I am not a maritime lawyer, but the rules is the rules. You can PM and ask questions!
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

I don't really want to figure out maritime law for something as simple as two guys bringing their boats together to raft at very very slow speed so that their families could enjoy a day together.... That being said, the guy sitting at the helm of the smaller boat could have avoided this very easily by 1) putting out a fender (that I gave him earlier in the week) and 2) Putting a hand out to push his boat away (not risk crushing it though)

Here is the esimate
Attachments
esimate.jpg
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

Post by Gypseas »

After reading the whole post on THT I gathered a better understanding of what has happened.
It is clear that the fault only resides within the fact that his boat should have never been allowed by his owner/operator at the time of the incident, to raft with a boat as big as yours without any type bumpers being deployed. The rafting was consensual, he took the risk blindly, your only fault is that your boat is built stouter than his.
:deadhorse:
As you've heard it numerous times, your buddy is an knuckle head for thinking you owe him anything, you've done more than expected, only thing I'd tell him is WHOOPS Shiat Happens bud LOL

An' thats all I'm gunna say 'bout that :thumbsup:

cheers
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Rafting...no COLREGS on that as far as I can rememeber...too bad the incident happened! Sail away and have fun with your boat.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

co-worker or supervisor?
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

Co-worker that has been out on a Labor & Industry claim for the last 4 months.. no comment.
speedboats

Post by speedboats »

I wonder what the hourly rate is at Valley Marine? $1,875 to remove and install drivers side console. Even at $100/hour that is 18.75 hours to do this job. I wonder how much stuff is in the console. Drop the wiring and control cables then unbolt, 3-4 hours to remove. To re-install isn't like they have to re-run everything throughout the boat, so most likely another 3-4 hours. Maybe their hourly rate is $200/hr?

Then there is the $2,875 for the Gunwale, plus the $375 for sub-ing the welding. If the boat was already stripped then it'd take 30 mins with a circular saw to lose the old one, then an hour to tack and weld a new one on (assuming it is welded along the inside edge of the box section extrusion)

I would've thought it was 2 days in and out of the shop.

Weather you were in the right or wrong, the guy Max Rutger needs a rocket for that estimate. This sort of action does nothing to help insurance premiums. As a jetboater on the other side of the Pacific we seriously frown upon guys making claims for repairing the bottom of their boat when they hit something, after all that is the risk you take when boating up a shallow river. This helps keep premiums reasonable so when you sink your boat and it needs to be helicoptered out, you are covered.
capesteve

Post by capesteve »

Am I missing something here? The boats are drifting together at low speed to raft up and you bump the Lowes and it gets that kind of damage? That's crazy. I've never checked one of them up close. Are they really that flimsy?
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

capesteve wrote:Am I missing something here? The boats are drifting together at low speed to raft up and you bump the Lowes and it gets that kind of damage? That's crazy. I've never checked one of them up close. Are they really that flimsy?

That about sums it up...
devilphish

Post by devilphish »

Wow. That really sucks. Only thing I can think of is that your "friend" has dollar signs in his eyes, hence his lack of manning up and getting a second quote or doing the right thing and shrugging it off. Seems he thinks he's going to have some extra spending money to use while he's out on L&I. Tell him to pack sand, sounds like he had the tools and responsibility to protect his own vessel and neglected to do so.

Haven't met you yet, Howard, but you seem like a good responsible guy. This guy is obviously trying to take advantage of the situation. Buy him a ballpeen hammer at Harbor Freight so he can fix his dented tin can and call it a day.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic