AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Re: Aluminum Skiff Build

Post by AlloyToy »

welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

we can do something like this, with a sharper bow. 200hp would push it along nicely.

http://www.responsemarine.com/images/So ... ME24-4.jpg
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Peezer, send that info to Metalsharkboats, Jimmy can do it.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Ya talking to me or welderbob?
I don't work for any boat company, I'm a Lineman for the city I live by here in Texas and was a union Ironworker [Local 433] when I lived in Calif. but I do talk to a few builders of Alloy boats. :mrgreen:

Have you asked Julie at Pacific if they would do a 26 with a 10* deadrise?
Lester,
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Who built the one pictured in your first post?

There are a bunch of shallow draft skiff outfits in the builder list here on the site. Flip through the links and see what you can find

Alloy builder master list
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

[url=http://www.endurance%20boats.com]Shallow Water Series[/url]

Mobile, AL. area, definitely fits the bill.
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

I guess then first thing that needs to be defined is "what is considered overly costly to build". Your asking for a pretty detailed list of options, all of which needs to figured in to the price.
The walkable deck means that your looking for a watertight deck. This could easily add 500+ lbs to the weight of the boat , which effects the draft. (8' beam x 25' lght x 2.7lb/sq /ft, plus the additional frame work). The boat should have a .250 bottom.

This is pretty much a custom boat.Its not a crazy design,there just might not be anything that meets your requirements on a totally "stock design". I work with Bill Lincoln @Response Marine. When we start a new design project I general have a fixed cost for the design work going in. Bill has always be reasonably when thing change in the middle.

welderbob
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Peezer, skiff use and therefore design is pretty much driven by the needs of the use/owner/skipper. Your long and detailed list of features, as Welderbob has mentioned, will be long on expense/cost because those features will all add cost to the bare bones skiff.

One idea that doesn't seem to be present in your understanding is the depth of flotation can be adjusted by the beam at the chines. So a 60" bottom will float the same wt as a 72 or 84" bottom but... it will be deeper in the water. You can, some have, it is possible to make a skiff that draws 1" of water; all that is needed is to make the chine to chine distance wide enough to spread the displacement out so the waterplane at 1" immersion will float the boat and load. On the other hand....

The ribs/frame/structure for that wider boat will be much much deeper, larger more expensive than the narrower chine boats. Most builders find some compromise between chine-to-chine beam, structure and load capacity as they're all related to one another in a cycle/helix logic of buoyancy. So, the cost is least for a vanilla ratio of beam to wt, and to keep a 22' skiff in the 6-8" (drought) class- you have to eliminate lots of 'features' that all add wt, one of which is the idea of smooth deck?

(sorry for having to say this.... But) I find it humorous in the extreme to have someone call an open binned commercial fishing boat (Pacific shown above) as having
Peezer wrote:all those silly alaskan ribs
( :rotfl: ) when those silly ribs trap the 5-8,000 lb load in this skiff and at $2.20/lb those silly ribs are stabilizing a 10 to $15,000$ (per) load of salmon: "silly Alaskans" what's wrong with them? building skiffs that return a quarter mil$ a year in good locations? I know that in the hundreds of net skiffs I made most guys could make a couple trips a day can almost make gas money?

Say Peezer; how's that compare to the guide business? Do the "hook and line guides" in your area make 10k-40k$ a day guiding with their boats? Nothing worse than "silly alaskan ribs" in a skiff designed to haul salmon without shifting the load! Those "silly ribs", as Peezer calls them are actually a very well thought out combination of cleanable fish bins, highly net proof structural frames and load containing bins that section the plural tonnes of fish into fixed locations in the skiffs' load cases!

Ah! "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", and when I see that skiff topped with a 10,000$ payload laying between those bins/ribs: its' a beautiful sight. A couple 100$/day pukers standing around with a rod and reel the total day's catch in a beer cooler ( :rotfl: ) well not so much beauty there for my eye.
Peezer wrote:the idea is to make something simple and perfect but not so complex that it becomes overly costly to build.
I don't think the word simple means what you think it does? Simple is one or two items not 14 with some points implying 3 separate items!!! That is the very definition of, in your own terms "so complex that it becomes overly costly to build"
Peezer wrote:Primary design features would be
1) The skiff would need "normal" walkable floors.
2) It would need a live well built in middle of the boat, 26 diameter by 21" tall, drain at 19"hight in tank, draining overboard somehow. Two 3/4 or 1" pickups over the transom rigged to twin rule 1100 bait pumps.
3) It would need hold downs set up two yeti type coolers, positioned on centerline for guest seating.
4) It would need rod storage along the gunnels built into the hull stiffeners. (Is this possible)
5) It would need 8 regular rod holders welded along the rails and vertical rod holders along the transom
6) It would need port and starboard lidded storage compartments (sized for tall size 7 gallon buckets in each) on sides of the transom.
7) Three batteries
8) Storage for 7 adult life preservers. (perhaps the forward deck could be storage where foam is normally and foam or ideally pressurized air flotation could be put somewhere else under the walkable floors?)
9) Fuel for about 50 gallons. (It would need 100 mile range with whatever power it would require)
10) 10 ft Power Pole mounted on transom
11) Atlas Jack plate mounted on transom.
12) Engine supplied by customer or by builder, with controls mounted by builder.
13) Power would need to be enough to push 5 adult men plus gear.
13) Folding Bimini Top, folds towards transom.
14) "Box" on nose of boat to store and protect an LED light, for night headlight essentially.
As Welderbob asked, what integer dollar figure do you define as "overly costly"? Lots of vaguery in the thread in regard costs. Not so much vague when a builder talks to a supplier, they get to dollars per pound of alloy and dollars per hour on press brake or for a control cable surprisingly quickly. But this thread is absent that reality component.

What is a "normal" walkable floor, (Item #1 above) isn't a floor a horizontal surface in a house on the beach? Are you hoping to discuss or specify a deck? What details could you provide so others could understand ?? I tend to see lots of opinions on 'normal' so without pictures or a few well chosen words for a description, this is pretty vague??? I think it clear that commercial fishing skiffs' normal and hook-n-line skiffs for the equatorial latitudes normal- ain't normal to one another?

There's no market for this skiff because the cost is too high for the return in the local hook and line guide community. The reason I can state "these is no market" is that no one is building a low cost, high featured, customer specified, welded skiff with the above wish list; for peanuts; because it can't be done and make money. If there were a market for the skiff described it would have one or two full time local builders pursuing that market like ALL the other markets, and all the existing builders' targeted to their clients' willingness and qualification to pay for what they want.

Peezer, unfortunately, as I see it you're describing something that cannot exist, something of high work effort made of highest grade materials; that sells below market value of those materials and labor. Maybe once the dollar figure for the skiff is posted I'd be able to reevaluate but until I can see that a realistic price is accepted? I can't believe this is a real boat.

Ain't happenin'; ever.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

Post by Gypseas »

Peezer wrote:Kevin i garuntee you wouldnt speak to me face to face with youre condescending tone cause id crack you jaw. So dont do it here either.
Just because kmorin tells it like it is and reality checks ya I don't feel he is speaking in a condescending tone.
Over the countless number of posts he's helped others I believe he knows his sh!t.
Threats on a open forum leaves me with a bad taste, however.

So relax this is not THT we are all alloy bruthas :thumbsup:

:beer:
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Wow, Peezer, what an articulate, concise, and well argued point of view to refute my logical, clearly stated observation of the countless
Peezer wrote:silly alaskan
errors in your posts (using quotes)? I cannot recall anyone with quite your gift for epistemological eloquence
Peezer wrote:Kevin Morin can suck my ****.
(* edited to conform to the site's guidelines) in manly defense of their own assertions rendered on behalf of their own multiple intellectual misconceptions.

The concept here is to write not fight? See this is a Forum not THE FORUM. Say that with me slowly "Double-U, Are, Eye,Tee, EEEh! ....." :thumbsup: you can do it, just go slow and work with each letter at one time... don't try to rush....

(A) Remarkably well expressed verbal mirror of your personal emotional problems for all to observe the peezer in its natural speech pattern perhaps? Not to mention the utter damnation of your schools' demonstrable failure in teaching reading comprehension but; I'm seriously glad that reading comprehension is not a skill required for your work, otherwise you'd be hungry it appears from your post and someone else on welfare.

I think the only solution, besides fisticuffs with an old, fat man, is for you to design AND build your own skiff. Man UP! peeze, being the 'real man' that you are, obviously, just buy a welding system and few sheets of aluminum and start putting out
Peezer wrote:something simple and perfect but not so complex
skiffs and ignore old fat guys who live in Alaska. What do they know?

I await the post of your design work, then we all await the build thread, I'm sure it will be as thoroughly elegant as your posts.

And don't forget to
Peezer wrote:to pull up [the] nose
! (small edits to the quote added by this poster) :rotfl:

Trolls are trolls, ain't no fixin' that, just a facet of the wider dialog of the digital age. Poor ole Peezer, if it is lost on him, as it so obviously appears, his original posts' about "silly alaskan ribs" ( skipping the A for a!) wasn't setting a condescending tone- then who can help? (Introspection may be rare in his neighborhood?) Surely not someone whose has actually built a few Alaskan skiffs before?

Looking forward to Peezer's build thread!

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Gentlemen, this site is for adults and the education/discussion of Aluminum boats.
I WILL NOT STAND FOR CALLING ANOTHER MEMBER OUT PERIOD.

THIS IS THE LAST AND ONLY WARNING.
Lester,
Locked Previous topicNext topic