Copper Paint on an Aluminium Hull...

General boating discussion
DwayneJ

Copper Paint on an Aluminium Hull...

Post by DwayneJ »

... is not a good idea and boat yard insurance has paid me out on the hull.

So my 2009 Stabicraft 829 (28') was totaled and after offering me a salvage price for the hull which I rejected, the insurance company came back to me asking if I was interested taking the hull off their hands... Hull is in Southern California on the hard top with corrosion below the waterline but no holes (yet).

I stripped the hull of Engines, Electronics, Helm, Furnace. Factory electrics/fuel tanks are all in place.

If anyone is interested in a "weekend" project, let me know and I can put you in contact with the insurance company.

Dwayne
( three ten ) 849 - two 0 3 six.

Chtucker

Re: Copper Paint on an Aluminium Hull...

Post by Chtucker »

WTF!? Can't they read the label?
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Dwayne, one time I a friend's landing craft was not painted, had no zincs AND had a wiring problem so there was a direct short to the water through the hull and the harbor where is moored wasn't exactly 'clean' stray current-wise.

I ended up for four or five days under the boat (30' x 10' bottom) overhead TIG welding up more than 1600 pits, none of which were through (1/4" bottom) when we started but some probably did seep?

It was quite job doing those welds overhead so if the metal bottom paint caused uniform pitting (?) the job to recover the hull is not exactly easy welding. Sure, some of those pits may be on the sides above the turn of the bilge, but... the ones underneath, unless the entire boat is inverted (!!) are going to be a chore to weld. My experience is that MIG simply won't do this work.

I'd say the concept that that boat is a loss may be accurate, but then I'm not saying the pits can't be filled; just saying when I did that type of job it was only because the friend was close and didn't know fully about the damage when he bought the boat. If it had been a commercial job offered, I'd have turned it down.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
DwayneJ

Post by DwayneJ »

Totally agree its a loss but if someone wants the hull because they have the time, yard, and equipment to work on it, I can put you in contact with the insurance company. They are just looking to move the hull.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Scrap it. $.45lb
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

we have been getting .55/lb for scrap. The bad news is it went up to .60/lb. This means that it's only a matter of time before the supplier raises the prices.

welderbob
Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

sorry for your loss Dwayne. that really is a shame. will you be able to replace it with another Stabi? the latest generation is looking pretty sweet.

Cheers,
Mike
DwayneJ

Post by DwayneJ »

Napa Mike wrote:sorry for your loss Dwayne. that really is a shame. will you be able to replace it with another Stabi? the latest generation is looking pretty sweet.

Cheers,
Mike
Thanks Mike. Disappointed is an understatement and wife/son are looking at me to get another sooner than later. I just need a little break after boat yards, insurance companies and such. Many nights over the last 5 months waking up in a panic about the situation. It is/was a nightmare.
kitimat

Post by kitimat »

Sorry to hear , is it just the hull for sale or the entire boat minus what you mentioned that you removed?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic