Salt-Away or similar product?

General boating discussion
MacCTD

Salt-Away or similar product?

Post by MacCTD »

I plan on using my Pacific in the ocean this year, I have only used it in lakes up till now. It was used in salt water by the previous owner but I shows very few signs of any corrosion. I will be trailering it doing day trips in my local area. When I come home I will wash the boat and flush the engine, is there much value in the Salt-Away or similar products? From reading Salt-Aways site they suggest spraying it on through the mixer and leaving it. Anyone use these products and if so do you think they help? Thanks.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150

Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Salt-Away or similar product?

Post by Chaps »

They do help, good idea, flush the motor with it too
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/

Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

When I use my Lund in salt I take it to one of the local lakes near my house & putt around to flush the motor, the bottom of the boat, livewell pumps, trailer ect.. the rest of the boat gets hit with a hose & wash brush to clean the rest. Any reason to go any further with "Salt-Away" type products??? The only small spots of peeled/ blistered paint are at the stainless transome hooks/ loops. I open up the bilge cover & do not see any type of corrosion. I don't use the boat is salt as much as I used to. :popcorn:
Last edited by Sabs28 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Katoh

Post by Katoh »

Hi MacCTD

If Salt-away works for you, that's great!

Personally I would just invest into a good pair of engine flush's (earmuffs) and hose down the boat and trailer with fresh water, you could mix a little dish washing detergent in if you like wont heart at all. The reason I stay away from things like salt-away and other salt cleaners is their main ingredient is Sulfamic Acid, basically the same stuff as in CLR, or Bam cleaner. Actually vinegar works alright also but it is a different acid. My reasoning is acid is acid and no matter what anyone says it dissolves metal, our boats are made of metal.
When water becomes stagnate and sits for long periods of time up against aluminum, it looses its oxygen and becomes acidic , hence poultice corrosion occurs, if you have ever seen how much damage that does you will think twice about putting an sort of acidic substance on your vessel. Can't go wrong with fresh water PH7.0 (neutral) your aluminium will love for it.
A little trick for cleaning your trailer, or even hard to clean places on your boat, a once off trick. My trailer is hollow Gal-steel and trailers rust/corroded from inside out. Basically where you cant clean, purchase one of those garden bed sprayer lines, it's just a poly pipe with hundreds of spray holes in it and run it through your hollows. Block one end and fit a quick hose fitting to the other. Once its in the tubing leave it there, every time you rinse the trailer just hook up the hose and it will wash the salt out of where can not.

Bugger just realized right now, I should of run a flushing pipe, exactly the same principle right up the keel line of my boat when I had all the bottom plates cutout of it. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Good luck
Cheers
Katoh
I maybe slow, but I'm bloody rough!

MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

Thanks for the feedback and info on Salt-Away, I am also considering Salt Terminator and that does not contain acid so it may be a better choice for an aluminum boat owner.
Thanks again.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150

Katoh

Post by Katoh »

Sounds good too, just get the MSD (material safety data) sheet on the product and it should tell you exactly what's in it.
If you request one they must supply it by law. :beer:
Cheers
Katoh

MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

Katoh wrote:Sounds good too, just get the MSD (material safety data) sheet on the product and it should tell you exactly what's in it.
If you request one they must supply it by law. :beer:
I looked up the MSD for Salt Terminator, Sodium Nitrite is the main item listed, is that a concern on aluminum?
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150

THEMOORINGMAN

SALT TERMINATOR BY CRC

Post by THEMOORINGMAN »

SALT TERMINATOR is great and I'm actually pictured in the CRC marine catalog. Been using it for years and I see the results when swapping thermostats. I wash my trailer brakes with the stuff as soon as I pull out of the water too.
Last edited by THEMOORINGMAN on Fri May 03, 2013 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Katoh

Post by Katoh »

G'day again
Sorry for the late reply, I have just changed internet providers and like most things you tend to do these days its easier pulling teeth or finding rocking horse Sh*t.

Ok Sodium Nitrite is the other extreme its very alkaline with a ph9.0 again not the best thing for aluminum.
Please don't get me wrong, both mentioned products are very good cleaners and they will remove salt salt deposits effectively. If you use the product and then rinse it well afterward I can't see a problem but if left there unrinsed, when the water they are diluted in evaporates around them, then they are left in some sort of form and more than likely a concentrated one.

Again I stress if your happy using the product then do so, I personally prefer a bit of detergent (dishwashing liquid) ph about 7 and just fresh water.
Just while we are talking about salt and corrosion protection, your alloy boat and motor with a wash down and a flush with just fresh water should suffice, but most troubles occur on your trailer when it gets put in the salt and then left all day to dry and then dipped again then rinsed, well to me the damage started with the first dipping. There have been many threads and so about protecting the trailer and adding extra coatings ect. I personally would recommend to spray the trailer in Valvoline tectyl 506, basically a spray on wax, dries hard and is mainly used for shipping machinery in shipping containers. It will make your trailer look old and dirty but does a wonderful job of corrosion control. Your boat as stated above, fresh water a little dish washing liquid and if you can do it on the ramp or as soon as possible while it's still wet, all the better, same for the trailer.
I believe they should have next to every ramp a wash down pool of fresh water, so after you launch you can quickly drive through and rinse dip your trailer, then trailers would last a very long time indeed.
Cheers
Katoh

Braith

Post by Braith »

If I never clean the outside of my tinny, will it corrode any faster than the guy who cleans his boat after every trip?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic