Desolation Sound in a small boat

General boating discussion
HavnFun

Desolation Sound in a small boat

Post by HavnFun »

I sold my plastic boat in late summer 2010 as I wasn’t using it much. In fact, it logged just two hours that year for maintenance and selling demo, no personal use whatsoever. I was doing well boatless until spring of the next year when ‘noboatitis’ struck with a vengeance. How could I go a whole boating season without losing my sanity . . . or maybe gaining it, as owning a boat surely must be an indication of insanity, unless I bought a replacement?

The plastic boat was big, had an inboard engine, heavy, and required maintenance, lots of maintenance. I estimated it took about one hour or more of maintenance for every hour on the water. I fish and cruise so there was scrubbing off blood, scrubbing non-skid decking, washing, cleaning and waxing the hull. Then there was engine maintenance. Being an inboard I felt like an aging yoga practitioner trying to wiggle into tiny spaces to remove heat exchanger plugs, replace zincs and spark plugs. I have an entire drawer of my tool chest loaded with flex wrenches, flex sockets, drives and fittings. One spark plug required three swivels to change and one had to get all the angles just right in order to apply leverage to remove. Yikes!

The winter of ‘10 was wonderful since it was the first time in many years I wasn’t cursing, swearing, or reaching explosive blood pressure attempting to get a boat ready for zero degree temperatures and a load of snow. Still, ‘noboatitis’ is a very contagious and persistent disease. So what should I get?

I must state that the followers of my plastic boat brand are fanatics. If it isn’t a direct drive inboard, it isn’t a ‘great’ boat. This is especially true of their regards toward outboard motors. I had been a member of the club website for years and known as a dedicated inboard lover, never to change. How would I handle the derision to be heaped on me if I changed boat styles and propulsion?

Another reason I sold the plastic ship was it was simply too large for 80% of my boating. Living in Utah, the second driest state in the Union, there isn’t much water to boat on and most of what there is are small lakes. I’d drag my 3-1/2 ton boat to a small reservoir for a day of fishing and I had to use a 1 ton Dodge diesel to haul it. Launching it took up a lot of ramp and then the lake level would rise 12 inches once the boat slid into the water. I was a battleship among the mosquito fleet.

I loved to haul it to San Diego where I felt very comfortable running a hundred miles offshore searching for fish but the trip back always felt like Hell Week. What a terrific time I had battling bumper to bumper traffic on their freeways. If anyone reading this post has experienced I-15 northbound on a Friday between 11 AM and 9 PM you know what I mean; it is a parking lot of one million poeple in bumper cars trying to be first to Vegas so they can lose the most money. This lead me to consider a small aluminum boat with a small outboard for local lake fishing and a good friend in San Diego to handle the offshore stuff.

I search Craig’s list and local web listings for aluminum boats. My first find was a riveted 12 footer with a 15 hp outboard. After assessing it carefully, I decided twelve feet wasn’t big enough for myself, let alone a son-in-law and grandchildren. I re-searched the lists having decided a 16 footer would be perfect. Nope, wouldn’t work. That was almost large enough to take to the San Juan Islands where I use to live and enjoyed returning but too small for the chop the sound is known for. Also riveted was out due to my lack of confidence its long term durability.

At this point a good friend of mine told me he was thinking of private labeling Raider boats for sale through his company. Raider? What was a Raider? I was familiar with Hawes, Alumaweld, Duckworth, Klamath, etc., but not a Raider so I decided to visit Mike and Vicki Melby at their Raider plant located 90 miles beyond Nowhere, Washington. What a wonderful experience.

I spent several hours with Mike, learning his philosophy regarding boat construction and customer service. He and Vicki are terrific people dedicated to making their customers happy and building a quality, no nonsense boat. This was just what I was looking for, a boat that could be ridden hard and put away wet so to speak. I wanted a basic boat easy to maintain. I was already sold on the Honda outboard since two years ago a Yamaha factory rep told me their larger hp motors suffered from head warping and internal erosion. I won’t mention his name as he still reps for them and I value his friendship and honesty, so research followed that validated his comments.

In the end I purchased a Raider 192 Pro Sport with Gil bracket that extends the hull another two feet. It has full length shelves under the gunnel, twin helm seats with storage under and 4' side seats with storage under. Equipped with a BF135 it will do what I wanted at an economical 5 mpg loaded as I load my boat. I can even use a single axle trailer with plenty of excess capacity for long tows into Mexico. Here was a replacement that doesn’t require hours of cleaning and waxing, is easy to winterize and maintain, and light enough to whip into any ramp without feeling like launch day of the Queen Mary.

Year 2012 saw the boat explore the entire length of Lake Powell, Lake Mead, fish off the San Diego coast, and support a family water sport week at Bear Lake. It also took boy scouts camping, fishing and tubing. Two family firsts happened on board. My 3 year old granddaughter caught her first fish, a beautiful 4lb Rainbow trout and my 2 year old grandson, not to be outdone, landed his first Rainbow which weighed in two ounces over 5 pounds. His favorite phrase upon seeing me is “Grandpa, boat, fishing!” Can’t get a better recommendation for any water craft than that.

Last winter after being able to service and winterize my Honda in two hours while standing or sitting I went to bed with visions of Desolation Sound dancing in my head. I’ve wanted to return to this incredible area and was trying to decide if the 19' Pro-Sport aluminum boat was the vehicle to do it in. This is why I wrote this article for posting on the website. As you will see, it was almost the perfect boat for me to make the trip. Almost perfect means I wouldn’t mind another two feet if I take a friend or grandchild next time.

I ordered a chart book and cruising guide to help with planning. I hadn’t been in this area since 1976 and much had changed so these came in handy. I also re-equipped the boat’s safety gear for the open water. Another change was to the prop. The engine had come with a 14-1/2" X 17 four blade prop which worked okay but wasn’t preforming as well as I wanted. I replaced it with a 15X17 three blade and top speed, cruising speed, and mileage all improved. The four blade is now carried as my backup prop.

I replaced all my pyrotechnics with SOLAS rated flares and signals. Added a PLB to my offshore life jacket, stocked necessary filters and spare parts and upgraded my primary anchor to a Fortress FX-11 with 25' of chain and 300' of line from the FX-7 with 12' of chain and 200' of line. I carried both on the trip. In hindsight the anchor and the prop were the best upgrades I made for the trip. I also carried 300' of 3/8" polypropylene line for shore ties which I didn’t need this time due to my small size.

Spring came and I took the boat on a 200 mile trip up and down Lake Powell. I was blessed with a great storm cell hitting while I was on the lake so I could test the boat’s seaworthiness. I didn’t run for shelter during the afternoon storm. I figured if the boat did okay in Lake Powell with winds of 45-50 mph and short choppy seas I would be okay up north. The boat did well, so the trip came closer to realty.

I used the boat a couple of more times prior to my “Man-cation,” then looked for a window of opportunity so I could be out of my office for the three weeks I planned to be gone. August looked good as I needed to have two business meetings in the Seattle area. The dates were set for a departure starting after work August 2nd. I flaked the new rode into the bow anchor well, inserted the SD cards with US and Canadian charts in my e7 Chart plotter, lubed all the canvas snaps again, added a Yeti cooler, a two man tent, butane stove and extra bottles, cookware, paper charts, fishing equipment, mask, fins, snorkel, food and clothing. Everything fit in the two side seat bases, under the two helm chairs and the fishbox in the transom. The only item that didn’t stow well was the inflatable kayak which went on the port side under the rod box and the Yeti cooler which slid in between the port side helm seat the console. It was a perfect fit so stayed in place even when I experienced heavy seas.

I had also added a four step stainless steel boarding ladder to the port side top of the Gil Bracket. It was bolted so when flipped down and extended it rode against the bracket thus angling out at about 20 degrees to be easier to climb up than if it hung straight down. I felt I was ready.

I hit the road. The boat is so light compared to my plastic I don’t even feel it behind me. My truck mileage only dropped by 2 miles per gallon from 20 mpg to 18 mpg, still within the range I normally get on the road.

My first stop was Seattle, then on to Bremerton, WA. I had a meeting there with a client and discovered that the towing canvas I had purchased through WalMart had started to tear. My friends at Defiance Marine noted it when I stopped there for a chat and said if I left it with them over night they would have it fixed the next morning. Perfect!

Defiance did an incredible job. Their canvas man reinforced all pull points and corners. They installed a new skirt tie that snugs the top down better for towing. They even reinforced the material over the bow pulpit roller which has held up for several thousand miles of towing at speeds of 80 to 85 mph ( I love living in Utah where we have civilized speed limits).http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy26 ... 1384382240

After getting my canvas re-manufactured and picking up a compass for the dash, I was off to Bellingham. I decided to launch at Bellingham as the launch fee was just $7.00, tickets available at the ramp and this included three days vehicle storage. I arrive just after the port of Bellingham office closed for the evening so waited until the next morning to visit the office for an extended parking pass.

I have a shell on my pickup so spent the night at the marina parking lot. It was quiet and comfortable. There is a public restroom located in the commercial area just north of the parking lot. It was very clean and warm. I used it to wash up and shave prior to launching.

The woman that helped me at the port office was very kind and knowledgeable. She was so happy I had waited the night to come in she just gave me an extended pass without cost but told me I needed to park across the street in the long term parking area which I was happy to do.

The launch ramp has four lanes and about 100' of dock space so one can solo launch, tie up and then park one’s vehicle without holding others up.

I departed Bellingham with a full tank of gas and carried an extra 10 gallons of fuel in two 5 gallon gas cans and fresh water in two 5 gallon jugs in the bow. I wanted to be sure I had sufficient fuel in case the weather turned and I needed extra range/time to get to a port. It appeared there was plenty of fuel available but this was my first trip to Desolation Sound in years and I wanted to be able to visit all the places I could without fuel worries. I wasn’t sure how often I would be anchoring out but wanted water to wash me and the windshield. Turns out I didn’t need the fuel and could get water each time I gassed up so only needed one jug of water.

Bellingham bay seems to always be rough for small boats and today was no exception. This was the first real salt water run in my boat since changing the prop and the first time I was loaded down with gear to this extent. I wasn’t sure of my range so kept a log and close watch on the fuel gauge although I was going by engine hours to determine when to put in for more fuel.

I rounded Lumme Island and then headed past Matia and Sucia Island on my way to Bedwell Harbor on South Pender where I planned to clear Canadian Customs. It was a beautiful day. The fog cleared off about 12:30 the boat ran great and I felt like I was home. I even had seals pop up on the way to welcome me.

I ran the boat at various speeds to see what felt the best and returned the best fuel economy. I settled on 3500 rpm for a cruise speed of 24 knots or about 27 mph. I later determined this speed yielded 4.6 mpg average both with and against currents so I used 4.5 mpg to plan fuel stops. My Raider only has a 35 gallon fuel tank so with a 10% reserve I could run about 140 miles between stops. When ‘twofootitis’ hits I plan on getting a 21 Pro Sport high side, wide bottom with 70 gallon fuel capacity. I will be more comfortable with this capacity when fishing and diving the Sea of Cortez in Baja.

About half way between Waldron and Stuart Islands I turned northward to Bedwell Harbor. I was watching for ships when I noticed a Rib charging down on me. As it closed I could see Homeland Security on its doghouse. This is my first experience with them. http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy26 ... b57370.jpg

As they pulled up. Three men had M-16's pointed in my direction. Rather unsettling but I wasn’t a criminal so remained unconcerned. I though they would just come close, ask me where I was going and let me depart. After all, I was leaving U.S. waters not returning so why would they need to do more? It wasn’t to be.

They asked me to neutralize motion so they could board. The three armed men moved to keep me in their sights while two others jumped on my boat. Then the grilling started. Where was I going? Where had I come from? Why was I visiting Canadian? What did I plan to do there? How long would I be there? Was I carrying any guns (as if I would answer that with a yes to armed men)? How often did I go to Canada? (I could see a computer on their boat and the had watched at the senior man on my boat entered my boat registration number into it so he knew all the answers before boarding.)

While he was asking questions his mate was tearing through all my storage compartments, then started stomping the floor board. He asked me when the last time I had the boards up and I answered truthfully never, but was concerned they would start unscrewing the floor boards to see what was underneath. The humorous part of the invasion was when they pulled something out of a locker like a tent and then, holding it up, ask, “what is this?” A tent, a butane stove, butane bottles, food. There must be some psychology involved with their questions as my three year granddaughter could look at those things and answer what they were.

I will admit it was all very professional but unexpected departing U.S. waters. They looked at my passport and registration then left.

At Bedwell harbor, I docked my boat at the Customs pier and walked up the ramp to the customs house. There I made a call to Customs, told them my name, boat registration number, where I was going and how long I planned to stay. I received a clearance number and was told to have a pleasant and enjoyable stay, then she hung up. What a nice experience after the grilling I got from Homeland Security.

Poet’s Cove Resort is wonderful and I spent an hour walking and visiting, then headed north as the purpose of this trip was to gunkhole and camp out, whether on my boat or on shore. The trip through the cut between North and South Pender is always fun. You are in your own world for a few hundred meters.

I overnighted in a tiny bay at the south end of Prevost Island. I love how I can avoid other boats and find seclusion by drawing just 12' of water with the o/b tilted up. I dropped a crab trap on the way in for the evening but used the butane stove to warm up a can of soup. I watched the blue sky fade to black and the stars begin to appear. I slept on the boat. I have found that I can use a self-inflating air mattress between the seats and rolled out my down bag. That was the one mistake I made prepping for the trip. I decided to bring a down sleeping bag as it would still be warm if damp or wet. Unfortunately, for my sleep, the bag was too warm. I laugh as I write this because I have spent many dozens of nights in the Canadian Gulf Islands and this is the first time I was too warm. Maybe global warming is happening but if so, the effects are delightful.

The next day I docked at Ganges on Saltspring Island.[/URL]http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy26 ... 1384384762 Image I fueled up and was immediately grateful for my excellent mileage. Canadian gas while much better than ours is also much more expensive. A delightful part of this experience was when the dock boy muttered something which sounded like ‘local’ while looking at my boat, then gave me a significant discount. This happened twice more while cruising Canadian waters. I love my Raider!

The following day I cruised to Nanaimo. A call to the harbor master resulted in a space at the head of G Dock right in front of the Harbor master office.http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy26 ... 1384384826 A quick walk up the dock and I was able to shower and toilet. I thought I had really score a sweet spot until it was time to sleep. The music from several bars and restaurants within 150 feet went on until the early hours. Good thing I had a night time decongestant in my kit. One of those helped me drift off quickly.http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy26 ... 1384384762 The next morning, after a nice hot shower, I visited the local supermarket about 300m from my boat and restocked food and drink. With a fresh load of fuel I crossed the Straits of Georgia heading to Pander Harbor.http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy26 ... 1384384762

The Straits of Georgia was its usually summer sea state which means 15-25 knot afternoon winds and ½ to 1 meter seas. The Raider didn’t pound as much as I expected and took this sea state well but I was slowed down a few knots while crossing to make travel more pleasant. The crossing wasn’t as comfortable as my 6500 lb plastic boat but I was delighted at the way it handled. It gave me confidence in the boat I would need later.

At Pender Harbor I again fueled up.Imagehttp://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy26 ... 1384384762 I planned to run up Queen’s Reach to Princess Louisa inlet and spend two nights at Chatter Box falls. I love Pender Harbor. It is a terrific all weather harbor with all the services one could want yet has a remote fishing village atmosphere. I received another local’s discount for fuel. I guess they assume anyone with that small of aluminum boat must be a local. I didn’t try to dissuade them since I was paying about $5.00 per US gallon for fuel. I ate a LaVerne's Grill just across the bridge from the store at the head of the fuel dock. I had wonderful fresh ling cod fish and chips and the french fries were made from fresh potatoes cut with a potato press on the wall. I can’t stand frozen fries. Suppliers coat the fry with a mashed potato covering, sometimes spiced which helps the potato look better when frozen. Yuck! Fresh fries, no coating. They’re to die for and so were the fresh lingcod filets. She also operates an internet café so I was able to check my email. The office was doing fine without me. Should I worry?

I ran up the sound and reaches until I got to Malibu. http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy26 ... cc2.jpgThe tide was beginning to fall so the current was running about 4 knots and building. I gave a Securite message on the VHF and shot the rapids. Again I was thankful that I had a great engine and plenty of horsepower. I arrived at the park dock at about 5:30 PM. Imagehttp://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy26 ... 1384384149

The dock was a happening place. The Bellingham Yacht Club had eleven or more boats docked at the outer end and the rest of the dock was full. I motored around to the shore side of the dock back to its head. There was place just my size so I was able to tie up. I had water and a picnic table close at hand which made my stay even better.Imagehttp://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy26 ... 1384383879

Being at the head of the dock I had just a short walk up to the pit toilets. It also kept me away from the drunk and disorderly BYC. Although the park rules stated quiet time from 10 PM until 8 AM the BYC crowd were rowdy until the wee hours. I slept well but there were others moored closer to this action that were put out. I witnessed a few words between skippers and was not impressed with the manners of that particular BYC group.

I bathed in a pool at the falls and washed clothes.Imagehttp://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy26 ... 1384383687 The water wasn’t that chilly once numb so I stayed in the pool awhile. I was joined by a young couple who were sailing the area. They had run out of bio-degradeable soap so we sat together washing clothes and swapping stories.http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy26 ... dc67c7.jpg

As I returned to the dock to hang out my laundry, I spied a boat that I would purchase in a heart beat if I every won a $100 million lottery. It was a perfect little steel ship about 65' in length with an aluminum superstructure. The hull was painted dark blue the topsides white. I’ll try to post a photo here. I seldom envy people but I’m guilty of coveting this ship. It looked like a Seaton design.Imagehttp://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy26 ... 1384383822

I was surrounded by great people enjoying the cruising life. One Canadian couple on a 28' cabin cruiser had been boating for years. The skipper had modified his boat for extensive island cruising and I learned many tricks from him. He had install a wood stove in the cabin to extend his cruising season. He built it himself from stainless steel and had a ss chimney rising up to the top of his cabin then routed out just below an overhang then up again ending in a dorade type vent. He had also bolted a Home Depot acquired hose reel onto his stern loaded with 600' of polypropylene line for stern tying. He and his wife were retired and lived most of the year on the boat.

Another Canadian family saw me cooking dinner on my butane one burner stove and invited me to join them. We talked into the night about boats, cruising, and life generally in Canada. He had just purchased a 48' Bayliner and was on his maiden voyage. This was his first boat so he had questions regarding valves, docking, places to visit which I was able to help. His wife was an excellent cook and host and he was traveling with two children and several grandchildren to help him charge into adventure.

Departing Chatterbox Falls, I stopped at the Young Life camp just before Malibu rapids for ice cream. The teens at the camp man the dock and creamery and are a joy to chat with about life at Malibu. The ice cream is homemade and tasty. I couldn’t decide which flavor so I got a double scoop, one vanilla and one chocolate.

If you transit the rapids you’ll see staff and youth on the rock shelf beside the rapids watching boaters going up and down. I asked a couple of the youth what their favorite activity in camp was and both said watching the boats transit. Since it was August and fair weather, boating activity was high. Both regaled me with tales of skippers who put on a good show. The tales usually involved displacement boats attempting transit at other than slack tide. The boats make it as the rapids are not difficult unless the tide is running strong but some skippers are entertaining. I vowed to myself not to be one of those skippers. My transit was after slack so the race was building force but being a planing hull I made it without difficulty or drama.

I traveled down sound to Captain’s island where I took the Jarvis inlet branch heading for Westview Harbor for fuel. This is the first time I’ve visited Westview and found the South Harbor too commercial and somewhat restricted around the fuel float for easy maneuvering if the float is full and the wind blowing which in my case was.

I also had a bad experience departing the fuel dock. Once untied and maneuvering to swing my bow around I spot a 12 meter ketch bearing down on me under power at 4-5 knots. It had just whipped around the pier to the south of the fuel dock and was traveling toward the inside of the first pier so fast I didn’t have any place to go. I was forced to duck under the walkway from shore to the fuel float. It was a tight squeeze and I didn’t have time to lower my antenna. It scraped the underside to the walk way then released and slapped the next joist. I thought I had broken it. Fortunately it was just gouged and discolored. I made it around the float and saw the ‘captain’ laughing at me. What a hot dog. I understood his need to maintain sufficient speed for maneuvering but he could have held up until I was safely away from the float.

I continued north in choppy seas heading for Thulin passage with the hope the sea state would be calmer. It was so I was able to increase to my normal cruising speed toward Sarah Point. Approaching the point I noticed several aluminum boats trolling for salmon. I put a line over and trolled for an hour without a hit. A quick radio call confirmed my feeling that I wasn’t there at the right tide as no one had gotten any bit for the last couple of hours. I reeled in and headed for Grace Harbor on the Gifford Peninsula.

I had better luck fishing in the Malaspina inlet. I dropped a ling cod jig around a reef and caught a very nice fish. Too large for me to utilize well so I let it go and later caught a nice 10-12 pounder which provided me with two beautiful fillets. Dinner was in the ice chest.

I entered Grace Harbor and traveled to its head. I love this spot and was surprised to find only six boats anchored.Imagehttp://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy26 ... 6d37f4.jpg Once again having shallow draft was a blessing as I was able to drop anchor close to shore at the northern side. There is a camp site with a picnic table and an outhouse which are part of the Marine Park system located here. Knowing kayakers may be coming I camped on board but it was nice to have just a short kayak trip to the outhouse.

The bay was teeming with oysters but another boater informed me BC fisheries had a red tide bulletin out and although it had been rescinded a week earlier didn’t recommend I partake. Having ling cod fillets needing consumption I forgo oyster shucking.

I hiked the trail from the campsite to the lake and took my small travel rod with me. The old logging equipment is still off to the side of the trail about half way to the lake. It was there the last time I had come by and will probably still be there for my grandchildren. The is great, reasonably warm and fishy lake. The trout are very willing to take a fly or bait.

I spent two hours fishing with a barbless hook and landed several nice trout, all which were returned. I didn’t need to restock the cooler, I just enjoy fishing.

After returning to the boat I grabbed soap and a towel for a shower. I kayaked to the shell beach where the creek enters the harbor and showered under the waterfall located just far enough back in the trees that one can strip down and lather up without embarrassment. It is obvious others utilized the falls. There is a plastic milk bottle rigged up as a shower head but I enjoy getting under the falls myself.Image http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy26 ... 003ee4.jpg

The second evening it threaten rain so I rigged the two man tent. I set it the cockpit in case of rain as my air mattress and sleeping bag extended beyond my canvas top with drop curtain and rain would wet my feet. I don’t understand how tent manufacturers can call their products two, four or six man tents. I certainly don’t want to be as friendly would be as necessary for two men to sleep in the tent I brought.

I set it up, covered it with the rain fly and enjoyed my night. It and one other night were only times I slept inside the tent. Desolation Sound in August, 2013 experienced exceptionally warm and dry weather. I hope my next trip is equally nice weather-wise.

I wanted to get to Mink Island as I had stayed at a acquaintance’s cabin before and was familiar with the area. I located the cabin with its dock but didn’t have permission to use the dock so headed further up Homfray Channel. There is an island which is split from shore by a narrow channel called Otter Island. I wanted to anchor in the channel, stern tie to the rocks on either side and camp on Otter. This place has a special memory for me so I looked forward to visiting it. If you want to know about the special memory leave me a message.

I tried fishing in this area without success. I’ve never had success in this area even though it looks ‘fishy.’ If any one knows this area and can enlighten me please feel free to do so.

The next morning I had kayakers wanting to camp with me so I headed up Homfray Channel to round East Redonda Island so I could enter Waddington Channel. I stopped at Walsh cove but the wind was blowing from the south making the bay just choppy enough to be uncomfortable in a light alloy boat so I continued on to Roscoe Bay.Imagehttp://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy26 ... dba746.jpg

Inner Roscoe bay was crowded with 22 boats but my shallow draft served me well. I anchor in 10 feet of water near the stream that runs out of Black Lake. Black Lake is a great place to swim. Its waters are warm in the summer so off I went, swimming to shore from the boat, walked up the road and jumped into the lake to rinse the salt off. Seem quite a few others wanted to use the lake so I sunned for awhile then returned to the boat. I used some of my fresh water to rinse before dinner. Next time I went to the lake I took the kayak. The portage is only a couple of hundred feet so if your kayak is light, you can take it with you to the lake. That evening the weather was clear and cool so I enjoyed the stars again while cooking dinner. The sleeping bag was better this night.

The next day I started on my return trip with a stop at Refuge Cove. This is a happening place. I refueled and replenished my ice, got the last cinnamon roll and talked with fellow boaters. I wasn’t going to get a place on the dock so I continued on to Squirrel Cove where I anchored between two large yachts. I decided I had enough ‘Cup O Noodles’ and ate at the restaurant. Here I learned the local Indian tribe is building a resort with more buoys, docks, and increased fees. Progress I guess but I’ll miss the old laid back cove of yesteryear.

I listened to the Canadian Marine weather forecast each day trying to decide which forecast best represented my location. I guess I still don’t understand the areas reported well. Since I was going to try to get to Nanaimo and the wind was blowing from the South I paid particular attention to the next morning’s forecast. It was reported winds would be 15-25 knots in the morning with seas 1/2m to 1m, winds picking up in the afternoon with seas increasing to 1 m. I decided to get under way early and stop at Pender Harbor for fuel and lunch.

The Straits of Georgia were rough as I headed south. By the time I reached Westview I swore the winds were much higher than forecasted and so were the seas. From a point south Westview to Jervis Inlet I took four and a half hours to travel 5 miles. I was forced to tack to keep the boat from pounding. At about Frolander Bay I caught up with a 40' ketch that was making way south also. I would meet with the captain again later that day.

I was trying to make Pender Harbor but the wind kept increasing. Finally, about 2 PM I turned into Blind Bay and decided to travel up Jervis Inlet then come down Agamemnon Channel to Pender Harbor if the seas allowed. Blind Bay was full of yachts anchoring up for the remainder of the day and there was a lot of chatter on the VHF about the wind so my fall back plan was to return to Blind Bay if the inlet got too nasty and lay up for the night.

Jervis Inlet was sheltered somewhat on the south side in the lee of the Nelson Island. I stayed close to the shore and was able to motor at my cruising speed. Once I round the north end of Nelson Island the wind had a longer fetch and the seas built. I made it into the entrance of Pender Harbor just as the rain started after traveling at about 15 mph down channel. The harbor was calmer and well sheltered from the south wind. I refueled at John Henry’s and received my third ‘local’ discount. I guess the dock lady assumed anyone in a 19' boat in this weather had to be local. She also recommended I slip overnight at Fisherman’ Resort next door. David Prichard, the owner, came down to help me into my slip. I didn’t really need the help but he and his dock hand would rather help than have a boat damaged by a skipper unused to currents and wind. I was slipped next to a beautiful 30' go fast.

Fisherman’s has free internet, a laundry and clean, comfortable showers. I took my clothing which was beginning to smell ripe to the laundry. While waiting for a free machine, another skipper showed up to do the same. We started chatting and the talk immediately turned to the weather.

This skipper had brought his ketch down the strait and related how his wife and son had been very fearful of the rough seas. She donned a life jacket to stay on deck and the son hid in the cabin being seasick and panicked. I told him I had come down the strait and was confused by the weather report. He being a Canadian from Nanaimo I thought could shed light on what part of the report related to my trip across the strait.

He went on about how incorrect the report was. He said his anemometer was registering winds up to 60 knots and he judged the seas at 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 meters. I couldn’t argue as I spent a lot of time in troughs where the waves were higher than my canvas which is 6' + above the waterline. He next told me how his wife had watch a small aluminum fishing boat beat past them and they both were wondering if the boat make it. At the time I passed him both of us were listening to Canadian Rescue trying to rescue two good sized (40'+) vessels that were floundering.

I told him I was driving the small alloy boat. His eyes popped as he stood up and said “No way.” I pointed out my boat on the next dock over from his and said there she is. We spent the next half hour talking about our adventure as he continued to shake his head. I thoroughly enjoyed that ego building moment. I got a second dose when he brought his wife and son up to meet the crazy American with the beer can boat. Thanks Mike for a solid vessel.

The next morning’s weather report was more of the same. I decided to try for Nanaimo first thing before the wind built up again. The go fast next to me decided to do the same. I knew I couldn’t keep up with him but was comforted with the knowledge his was just ahead if I ran into trouble.

We left a 7 AM and headed out. Once out of the protection of the harbor the seas quickly built with the wind coming from the south at about 25 knots and building. The go -fast raced past me but was forced to slow across the strait. I powered up to 4000 rpm and tucked in behind him about 50 yards back. He was busting through the waves which calmed them somewhat for me. It took an hour and a half to cross but I was very thankful for his help. We split ways at Newcastle Island, me going south and he turning into Departure Bay.

I refueled then listened to the weather forecast for the San Juan Islands and Strait of Juan De Fuca. The report wasn’t looking good for the next two days so I decided to continue on to Roche Harbor. It was a long rough trip into the wind but I was happy to enter U.S. waters again.

Roche Harbor was crazy, full of boats at anchor and at the all the docks so I waiting for dock space idling in the Customs area. There were several other larger craft also waiting so when a small slot about 25' opened next to the piling with a U.S. Customs sign between two large vessels I tucked into it. I could have waited and taken space between the signs but that would have meant the larger vessels would need to wait until I was done and this space was open with the custom piling bisecting my boat so I took it as a courtesy to them.

I entered the customs office to be met by the nastiest agent I’ve ever had the opportunity to meet. As soon as I identified my boat he lit into me with a tirade of meanness, stating I couldn’t dock my boat there to clear customs. It just happened the skipper of the next boat in line to clear entered and witnessed the harangue. He spoke up and said that I was kind as my taking the partial spot allowed him to dock rather than wait.

This little Hitler turned on him and told him it was none of his business and for interrupting he could just wait awhile to be cleared. Fortunately another agent heard all this and called the skipper over and cleared him promptly.

Meanwhile I endured additional venom. The other skipper nodded to me as he left (I still hadn’t started the clearing process) and quietly said, “I’m sorry.” I answered it wasn’t his fault at which our little Hitler commenced another tirade saying I was disrespectful and that if I didn’t watch my mouth I would be in a hold cell.

I can’t believe how rude how rude this man was. Sure we want secure borders but we give a little power to some and it goes to their heads. It is unfortunate people entering the U.S. via Roche Harbor have this agent as their initial welcome to our country.

After another 20 minutes of putting up with this jerk he cleared me. I wonder what would happen if I just skipped customs upon my return? I don’t need another bout of his guff; wish I could have video taped this guy for Youtube.

I traveled to Friday Harbor, spent the night there and had dinner with a friend.Imagehttp://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy26 ... f08c3d.jpg I hadn’t seen Jim for several years so it was wonderful to catch up with his doings and visit with some of his family. The next day wind was forecasted to pick up again so I left early and beat my way to Bellingham where I recovered the boat. A interesting aside, when I pulled my drain plug there was less than two quarts of water in the bilge. Even with all the busting through heavy waves the boat stayed dry, a testament to its build.

What did I learn on this trip?

Cruisers are wonderful people. The part of this trip was meeting people and learning their stories. The adventure is great but the people are the heart of cruising.

Aluminum is a terrific boat building material from a care perspective. Once home I only needed to thoroughly rinse the boat with fresh water and it was ready for the next trip.

A small, light boat can be used to cruise. I enjoy camping so being on the boat was like being in a well pitched large tent, comfortable and dry and roomy enough to lounge.

A small boat allowed me to dock or anchor where a larger boat couldn’t allowing for more choices.

The Raider handled rough seas well. I’m not advocating ignoring small craft warnings, but if caught off shore it will handle more than the skipper.

A light aluminum is not as comfortable as a heavier plastic boat in seas but the trade-off in fuel economy is worth it for me. I would have used two and a half times more gas with the latter and had mucho work cleaning and maintaining the bigger boat.

I just winterized the boat and it took a little more than two hours total time versus eight or ten for my former boat. It was also very easy to get at all the places I needed to reach.

A small boat allows for docking more often without denying larger boats space at the same dock.

Yeti coolers really are worth the extra money and keep ice for several days.

Arctic Ice is a much better alternative than regular block ice or “Blue Ice.” It kept the cooler colder longer while taking up less interior space.

I now feel comfortable taking my boat off-shore to Thetis bank next fall to fish.

If I replace the boat it will be with a Raider Pro-Sport 21 wide with 70 gallon fuel capacity.

I will re-power if ever needed with a Honda. I’ve had Suzuki, Yamaha, Evinrude and now Honda outboards and I love the Honda.

Any well built aluminum boat will be suitable for anything an equal sized plastic boat will do. They are safe, rugged, and worth a careful look.

Lastly, I wish I had taken more photos. I found myself focused on piloting the boat so failed to record the trip as I should. Guess I'll just have to make another trip to properly document everything.
Last edited by HavnFun on Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THEMOORINGMAN

Re: Desolation Sound in a small boat

Post by THEMOORINGMAN »

WOW, that's one long post!!!!
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

WOW...... I'm giving you "POST OF THE YEAR" on this one.
Very well written and easy to follow. What a GREAT trip.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Sounds like an epic voyage. How about some pictures? :thumbsup:

You mentioned that you brought a down bag due to the fact that it would insulate if damp or wet. Did you mean a synthetic bag?
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
HavnFun

Post by HavnFun »

I have photos but wasn't able to embed photos in the post. If you could help with directions I'll post them. I used a down bag as I find it works well even when wet and dries faster then a synthetic. This is just my experience, like to hear yours.
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

HavnFun wrote:I have photos but wasn't able to embed photos in the post. If you could help with directions I'll post them. I used a down bag as I find it works well even when wet and dries faster then a synthetic. This is just my experience, like to hear yours.
I prefer to use a photo hosting site like photobucket. It is very easy use and doubles as a back up for your pics. This site limits the size of photos which is an asspain for some of us like me. (I mention this to welder many times a year)

Down loses its insulating properties when wet and takes longer to dry than the synthetics from the research and I have done and my experience. I use a custom built feathered friends bag for my long frame for my mountain hunts and synthetic bags for the boat and where weight isn't an issue. :beer:
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Go to this link, it explains how to use photo bucket >>>>> viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40
Also, go to your User Control Panel here on the site and start a Photo Gallery if you like [Your photo gallery take big pictures and make them fit there].

And underneath and to the left of the Preview Submit buttons is a tab that says Upload attachment, click it and follow directions to post a picture directly from your PC. Click the brows button, pick your picture, then click the Add the file button and your done. the biggest picture you can load this way is 1024 X 768 but 640 X 480 works VERY well.
Lester,
HavnFun

Post by HavnFun »

thanks for the info. Next trip I'll try my synthetic bag. I'll try Photo Bucket to night.
HavnFun

Post by HavnFun »

I believe I followed the instructions provided for photo bucket, however, when I click on the links just a tiny photo pops up. How do I make the photos larger>
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Put your mouse on the small picture and Left Click to enlarge.
Lester,
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I hope I got the pictures in the right places for you, you were very close on the Photo Bucket links.

Oh yeah, when you Left click on the LINK you want to share , click on the bottom one, IMG
Lester,
HavnFun

Post by HavnFun »

Thanks for your help Welder. It is very appreciated
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Agree, Agree, Agree....those enormous chucks of cast iron shoe-horned into a pleasure craft isn't all that Pleasureable..one mo' AGREE!

Can ya imagine at $5.00 a gallon what the other boat would have cost ya?

Wow.....I think I got half way thru it all. Must have fallen asleep. Because it's the next morning, now!

That was one hell of a story in which I can't even come close to relating too. Because there just isn't that much water around here, and the only fish I remember reading about was eating lingcod with home made fries.

Either way, I hope ya sent that or already have to Yachting Magazine, or Pacific Coast Cruiser or something.

I can usually bang out 1200 words in a matter of a few minutes, typing......that must have taken awhile.

Yes, my VOTE is for longest post since conception of AAB.com :thumbsup:
Patrol24

Post by Patrol24 »

Very much enjoyed reading your post HavnFun.

Thank you for sharing

cheers
ICB1

Post by ICB1 »

A great post on a great adventure. I also call Lake Powell my home water, but am in the process of building a 32' aluminum boat for the BC/Alaska coast. My son-in-law wants to do some bear hunting out of it so I may have to add a 4x4 package to the build.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic