corrosion questions

General boating discussion
rdkillians

corrosion questions

Post by rdkillians »

Hi all,
I recently purchased a 2014starweld by starcraft 18dc. This is my first aluminum boat and use the boat in salt brackish and fresh. A hose off the hull everytime but after the last few times of being in salt water and having the spray everywhere I've thought of a few questions.

First how do I properly clean the bilge rea? I flood it best I can but I know I cant possibly get all of it out. Also I cant drain it completly as the plug hole is slightly higher and always holds some water in the back.

Second I have zincs on the engine 2 of them but do I need one on the boat itself?

Third I've developed a few scratches and one has gone down to the metal.I'm not really concerned about cosmetics but figured that I should cover it with some kind of paint. Problem is Ive gotten a hundred different answers ranging from don't worry about it to holy sh** get it painted quick but only with a certain paint.

fourth I specifically told the place I bought it from I would be using it in salt so they upgraded the trailer from painted to galvanized. I still have carpetted bunks though??? Can i just cover the bunks with the plastic bunk covers? Or do I have to get rid of the wood under it to.

I think I'm going a bit overboard but its a new boat and want to make sure if I have a problem its not my fault. Is corrosion really a big worry if your not completly negligent? or just a fact of life?

Thanks for any info
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: corrosion questions

Post by kmorin »

rd, welcome to the AAB.com Forum, on the section of the Forum next to this thread we've covered some of the information that may help you? Reading that may work to answer some of these questions.

Cleaning the bilge in metal boat can be done several ways. One is to pull the plug, jack up the trailer and tilt the bow up.... so it will drain as well as possible and just hose her down. If you can't get under structural elements like formed ribs the flowing water will likely carry anything out from underneath.

If you really want to get cleaned, painted or not.... buy a gallon of vinegar (cheapest possible) and mix it with hot water- 1 qt to a gallon. Flood the bilge while the plug is in so this mix won't drain out -yet. Then let that sit for a while, tip up the bow, pull the plug and rinse. That will clean the bilge as the mild acid works to lift any corrosion that is forming, will most often remove organics that may form corrosion cells and the rinse cleans out the and dilutes the acid/vinegar so it cleans the bilge where the paint didn't get -under structural elements.

Paint scratches are no big deal if the area is dried out... but the same are that is kept wet (allowed to trap water) can start a crevice corrosion cell due to the layer of paint holding water against the metal until the water becomes acidic. But, again recoating is not needed unless the area stays wet.

Painting aluminum is a pretty labor intensive effort, lots of steps and some involve some very strong chemicals. So if the boat is simply dried (sun, wind, local weather?) re paint is kind of a big deal.

ABS, PVC or vinyl bunk covers will all drain dry and therefore not promote thin film, water based, crevice corrosion cells. The wood won't matter but don't put any metal fasteners on the top surface of the covers!!

Corrosion is not a worry at all if the boat is tended reasonably and doesn't have built in problems.

We have a fairly decent archive here, all these questions and more are in there- somewhere? So I encourage you to search on the main topics of your questions to get better answers, when the item is discussed we get more detailed points of view compared to my short answers here.

Please let us know if these replies cause confusion or need longer answers? Welcome to the AAB.com Forum :beer:

OH! Forgot, we all like pictures, dirty bilges- we don't care, we like aluminum bilges best. Scratched paint? we don't care, we'll give an opinion of what to do and maybe even how to do it. Zincs, wiring, welding, riveting, cleaning, painting, building.... we really don't care what aspect of aluminum boats you'd like to talk about... the AAB.com Forum would like to talk about it too.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Definitely put plastic bunk covers on if you suspect the bunks are made of treated lumber (likely). A hull anode is also recommended, post up a picture of your transom so we can help you choose a mount location. Scratches to metal? It's cosmetic, fix it if it bothers you. Salt water in your bilge is not going to harm your boat, flush it if it makes you feel like it is needed.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
rdkillians

Post by rdkillians »

Cool thanks for the info. I've attached pics of the boat and a close up of the paint. Like I said i'm not concerned at all about cosmetics. My first thought was to cover with aluminum primer and put a big bullet hole sticker over it, or something. Would that be bad as it could trap moisture?? Also aluminum primer doesn't seem to be a straightforward request.
Ive also added a pic of the transom and the main anode on the back. I also have a small one that is on the motor, kinda like a little rudder. Should that be enough? Or do I need a hull only style? My big worry is its a welded aluminum boat that has a lifetime hull warranty as long as...... I just want to make sure I do my end and make sure I give the dealer no outs if( hopefully not) I ever have a problem.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1429701380662.jpg
20150430_145353.jpg
20150622_200047.jpg
20150622_200031.jpg
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Nice boat, what are those tubes bolted on to the sides of the engine?

I'd say you don't really have a good spot on that transom for an anode unless you are comfortable with below waterline fastener penetrations and in reality if you don't plan to moor the boat in a slip or at a dock that large anode on the engine is all you should need for a light trailered boat like yours.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
rdkillians

Post by rdkillians »

The tubes are for the ski pylon. I've taken it off for now until the kids get older.

I trailer it everytime and will never be in the water more than a day.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic