Valco Sled project

General boating discussion
gabe0308
Your location: Bellingham, WA

Valco Sled project

Post by gabe0308 »

Just picked up a 16 foot Valco sled as a project boat. Needs some work but should be fun project.
Attachments
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender (3).jpg
FullSizeRender (4).jpg
FullSizeRender (5).jpg
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Kenai, AK

Re: Valco Sled project

Post by kmorin »

gabe, what does the boat need? I didn't see any really big flaws in the pictures, given the sled type hull? Do you have plans that you'd like to share? Buying a boat as a project usually means there's something that needs tending? This riverboat/shoal draft jet/flat bottom jon boat seems to be in good shape - for example, it doesn't look like it hit another boat bow on???

What's going to happen to her?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
gabe0308
Your location: Bellingham, WA

Post by gabe0308 »

kmorin wrote:gabe, what does the boat need? I didn't see any really big flaws in the pictures, given the sled type hull? Do you have plans that you'd like to share? Buying a boat as a project usually means there's something that needs tending? This riverboat/shoal draft jet/flat bottom jon boat seems to be in good shape - for example, it doesn't look like it hit another boat bow on???

What's going to happen to her?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
It has been sitting for quite a few years. First thing is to drain the fuel, replace all the cracked fuel lines, and add a fuel water separator. Will probably run for the fall that way. Other items that will need to be dealt with: replace the flooring, convert the Evinrude to a tiller and remove the center console, change the bow area of the boat to incorporate a fuel tank (current main fuel tank is in/under the center console), add seats on seat boxes, and probably a few other things that I come up with.

It is pretty usable the way way it is now but I would just like to utilize the space in the boat better.

Just noticed that there is a project sub forum that I could have put this in.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Kenai, AK

Post by kmorin »

gabe, did you get fired up on your Valco remodel/refurb/recondition project? Of course in your latitude she may still be earning her living on water that has not solidified like so much of it has in our latitude? If time provides an opening I'd like to learn more about the add-on's and modifications that you've planned?

When in doubt- post and we'll all chime in on what the best way to do the work will be! Of course the new walk around pilot house we suggest could be more than you'd planned but "we're just here to help".

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic