Any idea what this pilothouse / cabin is worth??

General boating discussion
cohocraft

Any idea what this pilothouse / cabin is worth??

Post by cohocraft »

im looking at this on craigslist- seems like it would be ideal for my 22' boat.

Any idea what they are worth? Would it be easy / cheap to build? feedback much appreciated :skipper:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bpo/5110005213.html

AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Re: Any idea what this pilothouse / cabin is worth??

Post by AlloyToy »

welderbob should be able to help you with that one
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

the question not how much,but how much to made it work on my boat. Those are custom made aluminum framed window , there are 10 windows. the seller also claims that its 6061 aluminum. One would expect this to be made out of a 5000 series aluminum.
There is a fair amount of work to build something like this. I'm sure that this was either e a prototype or a left over piece from a production run (or a mistake )
If you want to buy it ,offer them $500.00.Its more than the metal is worth as scrap. you can always go up . To build new without the windows would be a couple of thousand dollars. The guy that built this had:
a drawing.engineering
pre-cut parts
a brake to bend
experience

welderbob
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

coho, unless you're heading for the agricultural/industrial/gunboat (read; corn combine) look on your boat (?) I'd say the cabin was not worth anything because of the seriously non-boat like design. (no curves + all press brake = non-marine) The window frames look they will need cast in place double glazed panels (that's an assumption based on the depth of the recesses which are the type used for cast in place glazing) and that will cost a bit more than the typical rubber mounted single pane we'd expect to see in a a sport boat. Incidentally if these panels are not filled with the cast goop sealant to the surface of the cabin panel in which they're mounted???? they will trap and retain water.

The work looks like it was done well, but the spec called for dressing all the welds, so they're probably done with TIG so they would remain strong while being dressed of the bead crown? So that is a plus, but the footprint of the "cabin" - or gunboat weather helm... (this is a true Jetty Wolf Fort) would need to be very close to your 'planned' cabin for your boat's deck to make that design/build element worth considering.

As to the question about cost to duplicate- with the copy of the drawing already in hand- not paying to have that drawn- I'd say it would cost $4,000 in Alaskan Dollars to reproduce this much metal work- metal and labor combined. If the drawing was added in, with details take offs for each window opening's recessed pocket pieces I'd add another 2,000 in design and drawing costs as a one-off. If you tooled for the glass recess frames (lots of these to do for the CG or DOT or Homeland agencies) then the cost could be cut in half of by 2/3's since jigging the frames and repeated brake work reduces element costs in the direction and by those %'s.

one of mine, where I tried to get some seeping lines into the shape - admittedly more expensive than using a press brake but then I don't care for the press brake built sheer lines very much either?

[found online image, not mine, used without permission and don't know builder or boat.] This cabin seems to be more boat-like compared to the much more angular and faceted design of the "cabin" in your original post and this appears less industrial IMO, because some curves of the brow seem to echo the sheer?

The boat's in the links are not exactly heavy on design lines, they're pretty industrial work boats so to me this surplus cabin is not worth very much as an addition to a boat with an attractive sheer line.

cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

it kind of has the Mil-Spec look--with those upper windows . . .
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Napa,

if you were driving a team of (possibly armed) boarders up to a 40 wall of steel (or ship's side if we call it that) those overhead windows or view ports would be just the ticket so.... that's probably why they're there? Not sure about but it does say 'military' to me too.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic