Just needs fdinishing

General boating discussion
Chtucker

Just needs fdinishing

Post by Chtucker »

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/boa/5144722629.html

Big project and probably still needs $100k at least ($50k for D6/Drive/controls)
Attachments
00U0U_gtrYEUcJsNJ_600x450.jpg
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Just needs fdinishing

Post by Chaps »

So Howard what is the back story on this boat? And on Conrad Yachts? Nice looking project, just need to rig it. It looks major but I had my boat gutted out to that level and putting it together wasn't that tough. What about this one Goatram? You've been through it.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

Conrad Yachts is Jarek Kronois the designer of the Aerohead and Xtaero boats. I don't know who welded the boat or if this was an Aerohead hull that has been sitting. I didn't think there was anymore of those around.

Other than the sterndrive I really like the Aerohead. I like that the interior is aluminum and not out of other material. Makes for a heavy boat though. The Aerohead that I looked at head door had to weigh 40lbs.

Goatram was the first person I thought of..

It is a solid design, looks to be pretty complete welding wise. Pretty easy to price out materials to finish. It just is more than you would guess. For me a single would mean a bow thruster.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Sure is a pretty sheer line on the hull, detail work looks top notch. I'm not sure the cabinetry framing being metal would really be heavier than wood? Just putting finished ply or marine plastic finishing boards on would be pretty light wt?

I like inboards, and especially diesels, so at 60k for metal work (?) it looks like a steal to me. I'm pretty sure you'd work lots harder and spend more to replicate her at this stage of build? There's lots of work to add all the hardware systems and get her ready to use but the metal work seems like it would be serious savings in doing the rest of the work?

I do like that sheer!

cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, Ak
kmorin
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

I do like the boat as well.. Unsure about if aluminum would be heavier than wood or other materials. I just am recalling the head door on the Aerohead. As for diesel inboards... Anything but a sterndrive would be fine by me.

It is just a difficult situation. Not many would take this project on themselves.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Chtucker, I agree that this is a huge project (both manhours and money) and if someone has not built "keel to launch" before(?) it wouldn't be a good place to begin. BUT.. if someone was in the market for this class of boat, AND got a yard involved to finish the hardware install; she still seems like it would be cost effective?

I don't mind the outdrives (I/O Leg) rated to the torque of their diesels, but I do realize they're less accepted by a large segment of boaters. What about an Arneson (sp?) or some other 'straight leg' type of drive? With the overhang of the swim deck aft, and the rear engine compartment already built, some stern drive arrangement looks like it would be easiest to complete the work done?

If you had to begin by cutting up the work already done then the cost savings seems to go away fast and the project looks much less attractive to me, from that point of view.

(Sure do like that sheer!) Is that some smaller size, sharp edge channel at the sheer? doesn't seem like hull stiffener extrusion, and doesn't look formed (pressed, rolled) the edges seem like 3" channel? Seems an odd choice for the rub rail?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Currently Tapped out. Nice boat though. in it for another 60 to 70 thousand dollars and a few months work. Add another 10 to 15 Gs for the big trailer to hull the beast around. Chaps you will be required to build a bigger shed. In for the copper penny in for the Building. You can still convert to Outboards if one wanted to.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Almar22

Post by Almar22 »

I wrestled around with thoughts of converting to outboards and finishing this one. Good looking boat, but really, screwed on stainless rails? Why?

Anyway I decided to pass... Divorce is too expensive!
Leeroy

Post by Leeroy »

Does anyone know what finally became of this hull? I assume it was purchased, but is there any additional information on it's whereabouts or progress?

I really like the look of the Aerohead 30 and once I get my ducks in a row might try to work with Conradyachts where I believe I can still get plans.

First I would really like to get a closer look at one of the few that are out there, this one came as big surprise and I wish I had seen it earlier. Can anyone offer any information or a contact where I might get to see one?

Thanks
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic