Seattle area cnc cutting/aluminum supplier?

General boating discussion
bkcorwin

Seattle area cnc cutting/aluminum supplier?

Post by bkcorwin »

I am contemplating a build of a small skiff and was looking for recommendations for both suppliers of aluminum and facilities that could do the cutting based on provided cut files. I was hoping to stay local as it makes pickup transportation of material much easier.

Has anyone worked with a seattle/PacNW supplier/cutter that they had a good experience with?

Thanks much
Brian
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Re: Seattle area cnc cutting/aluminum supplier?

Post by goatram »

http://kkindustries.com/

Coldwater uses these guys. You buy the aluminum from Alaska copper and brass and they ship it to K and K who will do the cutting and then it is delivered to you or you can pick it up.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

John, Chtucker,
do either of you gentlemen know or have any experience on how cut files confidentiality are handled with NC services? If the files are sent to a service, they could be cut over and over, so what is usually done in way of observing ownership of these files?

Just curious about how that business detail is handled with an outside service that is entrusted with designers' (NC path "cut") files? I could see if the design was in-house like Specmar or someone that designs and cuts their own work... but I wondered if anyone knew how this is treated where files go between different parties- they do remain the property of the designer- I'd think?

Any thoughts, or experience would be great to learn.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

When I looked into it, it was covered with a legal agreement and handshake that the design was copyrighted. Any business that wanted to stay in the NC business and have repeat customers kept up with their end of the deal.

It bothered me that as a customer that I can commission a design, pay for the NC file development, but not own the rights to it nor could I recoup my costs for the NC file development (after the design). I was looking at 10s of thousands to have the NC files and nesting done, but the designer could resell the design AND the NC files at whatever price they set.

If you look at Michael Kasten's website you will see what I am talking about
http://kastenmarine.com/plans_list.htm
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Kevin As of yet I have not used K&K but I believe they uphold the Copyright laws and agreements. There are only so many designers and also just so many places to cut. Coldwater Bruce and Russ have their work done there and they are happy with K&K's quality. Alaska Copper ships the Plate to them and when cut the plate is delivered to Marysville.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
ReelSong

Post by ReelSong »

K&K industries have cut three boats for me now, and I know there agreement will be made with the designer. I asked to have an additional bulk head cut sometime into my build do to some modifications and they had to approve it with designer before they would cut it a second time. I think there pretty legit. With that being said they did sale the company and it is under new ownership now. They did cut my Cope patrol build and talking with BRuce Cope he's used them several times.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic