Henley 17' & 18' hulls - opinions

General boating discussion
rocky_taco

Henley 17' & 18' hulls - opinions

Post by rocky_taco »

This builder is in Canada and happens to be a 10 hr drive away from me. Most boats I seem to like are built 33+ hrs away on the west coast. Anyway, they make two smaller boat hulls. The 17 has 24" side and the 18' has a 30" side. Both with a self-bailing deck. Searching the internet doesn't find a whole lot of information on the builder or boats. I found only two threads on AAB about them. Can't find out much on other boating sites either. Does anyone have experience with/opinion on the Henley boats? I'm specifically interested in information on the smaller size boats, but I will take any information as I can't find much.

Thanks
Wantry

Re: Henley 17' & 18' hulls - opinions

Post by Wantry »

I have never been aboard one, but I've taken a look at some of them tied up at marinas and watched a few of them trade back and forth netting salmon in some of the places we duck hunt.

The fishermen in their 18' Henley look like they are experiencing drier and more comfortable conditions than the duck hunters in a 20' Lund.

Vs. I can get the 20' Lund into shallower waters and push it on and off the rocks easier than can the guys with the 18' Henley.
rocky_taco

Post by rocky_taco »

From what you have seen, would you say it looked like a quality boat? Welds? Ever talked to an owner? Do they like and recommend them, or long for something else?
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

rocky, from the two boats' images (online) the Henley boat's topsides have more flam, they lean out more, the boats look much heavier than a comparable sized Lund, not that I know their relative wt.s The increased flam forward, coupled with more wt, a much more pronounced V all contribute to a softer (relative term) ride, drier ride and the Henley will 'take more water' - that is with the taller sides, more leaned out boardand with the roll formed sides or strakes the Henley is built to take more wave action and remain drier than a Lund.

I have not seen a Henley up close, nor seen her welds or any other aspect but I would say the boats were in different classes and (I would at least) expect to pay significantly more for the Henley than the comparable LOA Lund?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Wantry

Post by Wantry »

Henleys cost more, but not as much more as I woulda thought before I started exploring.

My interest lies more with boats in the 20' class and the bare bones basic 20' Henley is around $30K canadian before power. †he equivalent Lund (2000 Alaskan DC) is pushing $22K Canadian these days, closer to $17-18K in the states. (my price information is all about a year old & may not take into consideration exchange rates/dealer discounts)

There's no question they are two entirely different classes of boat. Also, Henley will build custom (for more $$$ of course). Lund, not so much.

At a lower price point you might also want to take a look at Stanley. I have spent recreational time on Stanley boats in the 18-22' range, and my hosts really liked them, and didn't seem to want anything different except maybe a bigger Stanley. I haven't compared them up close yet (still slowly working through initial design choices and building a house while I'm at it, so, the boat comparos are not the most important thing in my train of thought these days), but, I get the impression that Henley's welds and overall finish quality are probably a notch up from Stanley, and priced accordingly, and that both outfits make sturdy, serviceable boats across a wide range of applications and price points.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic