Commuter for Southern Gulf Islands?

General boating discussion
AntonChigurh

Commuter for Southern Gulf Islands?

Post by AntonChigurh »

Hi all, I'm new here and want to thank all of you for the information that I have been able to find in other posts. I need to find a 24-27' aluminum cabin boat that will be used as a commuter in the Southern Gulf Islands in BC. The boat will be pretty basic without a galley or head, and should seat 6-8 people.

Right now I'm looking at a Raider 2484 and a Hewes Craft 24 Pacific Explorer. The similarly equipped Pacific Explorer is coming in 22% more expensive than the Raider. Is it worth it?

Any other recommendations for a good, comfortable brand/boat that can handle the weather that sometimes arises in the area and will be able to withstand being left in the water almost all the time? I view this as a long-term investment that will see a lot of use so cost is less important than quality and reliability, though I'm hoping to find the boat on a lot so I don't need to wait the 6-9 months for a build.

Thanks!
welder
Site Admin

Re: Commuter for Southern Gulf Islands?

Post by welder »

Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Commuter for Southern Gulf Islands?

Post by Chaps »

I would not consider either of those brands the op sited to be suitable for long term moorage in salt water. Suggest you find a true, fully welded heavy plate alloy boat that meets your needs from the likes of Eaglecraft, Silver Streak, Armstrong, etc. Then get a top notch bottom paint job and a suitable anode system to protect against corrosion.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic