identify this boat!

General boating discussion
Toonseskat

identify this boat!

Post by Toonseskat »

I've found this interesting looking workboat hull, wondering what kind it is? Owner has no idea of the manufacturer or age.
Attachments
work boat.jpg
workboat 2.jpg
boat 3.jpg
Last edited by Toonseskat on Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: identify this boat!

Post by Chaps »

Looks home-made which is not uncommon with aluminum boats and wood boats
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Toonseskat

Post by Toonseskat »

I added another photo. It appears to have been made of pretty thick plate, perhaps 3/16". Any speculation on the weight of the hull?
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

what is the length and beam? What is the power? Are you considering buying this?
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Toons, Chaps,
I notice the reverse chine at the bow squares off the topsides into a pushing frame of some kind? Perhaps for tying to another boat or small barge to push it, like a tug. The stern running gear seems more designed for lots of thrust over top end even though the hull looks like it should plane.

All that leads me to wonder is this wasn't influenced by Winginghoff Boats? http://www.winninghoff.com/common/index ... B&page=B04

I don't have any idea who built her, but the chine configuration and hull corners being rolled plate look similar to that builder's work in the 1970's or so?

The hull's pushed in panels also indicates a boat regularly used to push other boats or barges - but the chine 'wing' seems that sometime after she was built there was an attempt to get a higher speed from the original hull.

Interesting photos.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Toonseskat

Post by Toonseskat »

I am going to go look at the hull, thinking about hanging a bracket and outboard on it. Maybe rebuild the cabin to a fishing configuration. I think I can buy it for less than the aluminum value.

I'm sure this was some type of workboat. It still appears to have the knees on the bow. They would have to go!
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

toons'
just a word of caution about an aluminum boat lying derelict on its side.

Unless you inspect inside and out, thoroughly, and your metal knowledge is good- you could buy it for less than the metal value and have nothing. The amount of neglect indicates it wasn't intended to be recovered by any past owners- so the corrosion that's possible can make it expensive just to cut up and haul to the scrap yard.

Not saying this from knowledge of the boat, but knowledge of inspecting dozens of derelicts that were super "deals"- not many were in fact good deals. So a word of caution about inspecting thoroughly, also if there are old tanks- they might become your liability, if there is bilge water with leaves and compost it may not be neutral ph and could have done some acid damage to the entire bilge framing structure- so "Let the Buyer Beware".

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

What Kevin said. The temptation to perform a rescue on an old hull can be strong. My LaConner was a rescue but it was up on blocks in a boat storage yard so it drained well and was easy to inspect. It was also built by a legitimate manufacturer, had a title and was not modified or hacked. Much easier to end up with something good if you start with a sound foundation
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

Post by Gypseas »

I don't see how you can go wrong for $600 if you own an aluminum welder and you are proficient at it.
I'd hit it. Be prepared to drop at least another 20K for everything else.
Good luck
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic