Demoing Boat, Looking For Feedback

General boating discussion
VirtualHuck

Demoing Boat, Looking For Feedback

Post by VirtualHuck »

I really appreciate everyone on this forum and all the combined knowledge. I'm driving about 5 hours to a marina near Ottawa to test drive an aluminum dual console boat next week, and am hoping to get some thoughts/feedback on the boat, and things I should ask about or look for when up there test driving it (I'll post pictures of the boat when I get back). I also want to thank WelderBob who has already been helpful with some initial feedback.

The boat is a dual console Stanley Islander 19' with a Yamaha F115 outboard (Canadian manufacturer).

The Basic Specs:
-Price: About $38,000 US (Web site lists Canadian)
-Length: 19'4"
-Beam: 96"
-Weight: 1725- weird wording: "maximum weight for 19', 21' and 23' models")
-Seating: 6-8
-Deadrise: 15 degree (listed as 16 degree everywhere else)
-Max HP: 150 HP (standard is 115HP, and that is what the boat I will be demoing has)
-3/16" aluminum hull and sides with 3/16" diamond plate self bailing sole/deck
-20 inch transom
-Keel Guard
-Built in 24 gal. fuel tank
-Telflex hydraulic steering system
-Bimini top with full enclosure (optional, but definitely want)

I will basically be using this as an adventure boat for 4 people with gear (diving and camping are our more gear intensive uses). It will be mostly used on Lake Champlain (one of the larger lakes in the US at almost 500 square miles). We are in a very windy area, so 2-4 foot steep waves with very short frequency is common. We want a boat that can cruise at a reasonable speed (low 20's) without a crazy amount of pounding (some is fine), and will be reasonably safe/secure in those conditions. We go to less populated areas, and are almost always needing to beach the boat on chunky gravel shores (one of the reason's for a welded aluminum boat). In summary, I want a reasonably priced, low maintenance boat that can be left moored in front of our camp (self bailing deck is important), can be beached on gravel, has low fuel usage, is reasonably sized for just 4 people, has a full cockpit cover for bad weather, and is easily trailerable, This unpainted aluminum hulled boat seems to fit the bill.

I sent these questions to the manufacturer, and got the following responses:

Are ribs or lateral stiffeners used?
Two longitudinal bulkhead with 3/16” bent and form plate for lateral support.

What support does the floor have under the 3/16"diamond plate sheet?
Didn't answer

Is the gas tank removable?
Yes

Is there an open bilge and pump?
No, Three airtight compartments

Is foam flotation used?
No

After getting those answers, I'm questioning the lack of foam (but am totally ignorant about flotation preferences/requirements, not just safety, but noise as well), and don't really know if their stiffener setup is good/bad. On another forum post, there was mention that someone thought Stanley uses 5052 and 5083 marine grade aluminum. Is this an issue for this style of boat (I'll try to verify aluminum type with the manufacturer)?

Finally, we would like to add a tower over the cockpit, or a platform over the outboard (the two styles are attached in pictures). One use is to be able to pull a tube or wake-boarder a couple of times a year (I know it would be under powered), and for the attachment of a custom rack that could hold a couple of mountain bikes every once in a while. The factory said they would install a tower, but I came up with the platform idea after, and wonder if it could make sense to get a custom one built to fit the boat. I'm concerned going the custom route, as I'm not sure if the stresses added would be ok at the attachment points (so leaning toward factory tower). Is that a valid concern?

Sorry for such a long rambling post, but any help or comments would be appreciated.
_Islander 19-1.jpg
_Islander 19-2.jpg
_Islander 19-2.jpg (2.94 KiB) Viewed 6572 times
_Islander 19-3.jpg
_Islander 19-3.jpg (2.96 KiB) Viewed 6572 times
_Islander 19-4.jpg
Platform Concept.jpg
Tower Concept.jpg
Small Aluminum Adventure Boat
2018 20' Stanley Islander
(https://stanleyboats.ca/islander/)
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Demoing Boat, Looking For Feedback

Post by Chaps »

They have airtight compartments instead of foam filled compartments which is preferred. Their site specifies 1/4" hull thickness which is very substantial. By tower I assume you mean a tube arch like the one in your last pic? I'd get the factory one as you'll likely have a tough time getting one made that will fit-up as well as theirs. Those are nice boats, very well built. For the kind of use you are planning be sure to get max HP engine.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
VirtualHuck

Post by VirtualHuck »

Thanks Chaps. The 19' is actually 3/16", but moving to the 21' is 1/4". My concern is mostly repeated beaching on chunky gravel shores (walking it in), is 3/16" fine, or do I stretch my budget and the size I want in order to get the 1/4" with the 21'? Also, just curious about suggesting max power for my use. I'm assuming it is mostly because it will be usually loaded with around 800# of people and gear as well as getting around in heavy lake chop on windy days? Thanks again, just the kind of feedback I was looking for!
Wantry

Post by Wantry »

VH:

I've been onboard or around a few different Stanley boats (in recreational and commercial service) and I'm pretty impressed. I don't know what they put under the floors but they are solid and quiet. Overall the boats appear solidly built to withstand abuse.

I'm thinking of buying one, eventually, for walleye fishing, duck hunting, camping, and general utility ... so I'll watch intently to see your reactions to the demo. Right now Stanley is my starting point.

One thing I'm curious about is the extent to which Stanley are willing to customize their standard boats. That will almost certainly be a more reasonable way for me to get where I want to go than a fully custom boat, if the builder will work with me. The specific rig I'm looking at is either a Predator or Pulsecraft, 20' with a Yamaha 115 on it.

The Pulsecraft specs all seem to base the listed weights on a much larger boat (probably their 22'). The 22' Pulsecraft is one hell of a boat but it's bigger than I need. The one I've hunted from rode like a limo and was built like a tank, but that makes it too heavy for me to drag off the beach when I am hunting by myself. Their marketing materials list a 20' Pulsecraft as an option, but I don't know if they actually build such a thing or if it's a typo in the catalog (they're a little loose with that stuff -- kind of like you are finding out with the deadrise spec).

The 20' Predator specs and size are just about perfect, but their marketing lists max HP at 90 which would be just about useless to me. Having walked around one and measured it, the transom appears plenty wide enough and probably stout enough for a 115. Don't know if Stanley would accommodate my spec, but it's a question I'll explore with the factory folks. I would also ask them to locate the side console further forward than standard.

I've put thousands of hours on Yam 115s and two other members of our duck gang have run them for years. I really, really, really like them. Reliable in adverse conditions, tough, economical to operate and maintain, and punch above their weight. I have no stick time on the current-year 115 with the revised exhaust but my Yamaha mechanic and dealer tells me it carries over all the good stuff from the older motor, with better acceleration and top-end.

We run 115s on 20' boats and it's a great match. The closest analogy to your application would be my buddy's 22' Starcraft Mariner CC on which he runs a 115. That's a much lighter boat than the Stanley (hull weight is under 1000 lb. i think!) but he typically loads it much heavier, sometimes 4-6 people, 3 dogs, a couple hundred decoys and gear... the 115 is enough motor for that, once I convinced him to install a tachometer and learn to prop it correctly. The 150 would be even better, except it would make his boat even more of a LITTLE GIRL to drag off the rocks when the tide goes out.

Two requests:

-- Mind telling me what Marina you are working with?
-- If you see any Pulsecrafts or Predators (From above, one looks like a landing craft the other like a jon boat) snap some photos and post them here, please.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

3/16 will stand up OK to beaching. Their website would lead one to believe that it is a 1/4" hull however. Yeah, I'm saying max power because of how heavy you will be loading it. Four guys with camping gear and dive equipment is going to be a painful push with 115 of any brand motor IMO particularly in chop where you really want to stay up on plane.

BTW, I'm going to predict that after a couple of adventures your going to wish you went a little bigger
VirtualHuck

Post by VirtualHuck »

@ Wantry- They have a 20' Predator ($33,395), and two Pulsecrafts 22' ($66,980) and 24' ($74,968) on their Web site (http://marina.ca/boats/?make=stanley). Prices are in CAD, so multiply those number times .77 for approximate US price. Their site might not be updated, so no guarantees.

I'm dealing with James Gibson at Ed Huck Marina (james@marina.ca) 53 Front Street, Rockport, Ontario. I spoke with someone in Massachusetts who recently purchased a Stanley from the same dealer and sales person. We talked in depth, and he had nothing but good things to say about the boat and the marina/sales person. James at the marina has been extremely patient with all my questions and has been extremely responsive. No complaints.

I also contacted Stanley directly (rod@connorindustries.com Rod Soucie) with a request for a customer tower, and he responded with yes, but no other details.

I'm looking forward to the test drive with F115 to see if that is enough for me.

@Chaps- Thanks, the demo will be telling, but I'm sure you are right. If I can swing it, I'll probably go for the F150.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

I meant in boat size!
VirtualHuck