Worth getting fixed?

General boating discussion
deltafishing

Worth getting fixed?

Post by deltafishing »

Good evening everyone,

Looking to get some opinions from the experts as to whether or not my hull is in need of repair. Last week while out on the lake, we had to beach our boat for a bit and while doing so on what looked to be a completely harmless sandy beach, a nice sharp jagged rock (I think granite) was waiting for me right beneath the water line about a yard of so from the shore. Long story short, we ended up making light contact with the rock. Upon inspecting the damage when we pulled out, the max depth of the scrape looks to be 1/32 to 2/32 at it's deepest. The bottom is 3/16" 5086. I'm contemplating sending the boat out for repairs but am not sure if it's even worth fixing. I'm concerned that trying to fix it may do more harm than good. The boat is used primarily in freshwater. Let me know what you guys' think. Thanks!

peterbo3
Contributor

Re: Worth getting fixed?

Post by peterbo3 »

3/16" plate........................ just a deep scratch. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
A good alloy welder should fix that while you wait. You do not show show any inside pics but I cannot imagine any damage to stringers or framing.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

It will never leak but if it bothers you get it fixed.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Battle scar, keep fishing.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
deltafishing

Post by deltafishing »

Thanks guys. I'm not really concerned about the appearance as it is a fishing boat that i plan to keep for many many years so scratches and scars are inevitable. I think I may end up getting it fixed in the near future,if its my luck im going to hit another jagged rock in the same spot in the future which may cause additional issues.

Welder, to tig something like this, does the boat need to be flipped upside down or can it be welded on the trailer?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Could be welded on the trailer
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic