Shutoff Valves For Aluminum Gas Tanks

General boating discussion
ehsvp

Shutoff Valves For Aluminum Gas Tanks

Post by ehsvp »

Does anyone know if shutoff valves are required on an aluminum fuel tank at the suction point for the fuel lines? I don't have much room between the top of the tank and the deck. The tank will be used with outboards and the hose will always be higher than the top of the tank.

Bob
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: Shutoff Valves For Aluminum Gas Tanks

Post by kmorin »

bob, no body wants to make a regulation determination!! find the Marine Fuel Spec in the CFR (title 33?) and look in the neighborhood of 183.530-580 to find some info on your question.

If use a copy of this regulatory summary- try to find one with the EPA's notes too. That means you'd be complying with both the agencies that might give some interference if you were inspected? EPA largely copies most DOT/CG/regs but... I'm sure there are differences. http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/BACK SIDE ... 002.01.pdf this reference may help?

I'd say that for outboards, where they could run on cans - an isolation valve is not needed- most times these valves are included for #1 fully mounted permanent tanks &#2 for inboards where siphons, overflows and other related events were more prevalent?

If you are in doubt about being boarded and inspected?? add the valves. Unfortunately they should be fuel rated plastic, aluminum Or SS in order to avoid galvanic corrosion.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
ehsvp

Post by ehsvp »

Kevin, thanks for the reply and information, much appreciated. I have a few more questions. What would you use for insulation inside an alloy boat cabin? I'm struggling to come up with best solution. I'm thinking about Armaflex SA or possibly sprayed in foam. Also, what do you like to use for cabin wall interior covering. I would prefer a material that is low maintenance, does not absorb water and can be removed to access wiring, plumbing etc. Thanks,

bob
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Bob, to insulate a welded boat I'd etch and coat the interior above the waterline with allodyne and primer then spray urethane on the vertical surfaces if she was over 25' feet. If smaller I'd just glue in styrene foam panels in most cases. If the insulation was only or primarily in the cabin I'd look closely at gluing in styrene, again based on size of the area involved, and spray a full size 28' or larger cabin cruiser model boat.

Paneling has to be thought over thoroughly, in my view- while framing and at the welding stage so there are conversion surfaces. If you're adding wood as furring (sp? firring) and fastening strips (??) then flanges aren't as critically important since the wood will form the flange or fastening surfaces when attached to the underlying material. BUt, if you're not adding wood and will be placing paneling over the insulated framing- (finished flush) that is most often done with glue/adhesive/goop of some kind. That last method doesn't make the paneling removable.

As to what paneling is used? there is a thin plastic composite plastic used to line freezers and walk in reefers that can be installed so clean it could be hosed off. The primary problem I see in your remarks are the lack of field fastenings if you don't secure paneling in wide areas it can flop/flap/bounce/cup - so removable paneling is usually done in preplanned small areas for access to specific volumes behind that surface.

I've glued carpet(s) of several types directly to the metal, I've insulated with sprayed foam and used wood and plastic panels over that, I've glued panels of blue foam and then used 1/4" ply and covered that with T&G 1/4" wood paneling (52' crabber) , and all of these methods were preferred by that owner. I'd etched, converted, primer painted and top coated interiors, and left that as the finish, and in one boat the owner took over and lined the entire boat cabin with way too heavy plywood and left the boat bow down and failing to perform due to the two pick up truck loads of plywood finish in the forward cabin! No final and 'best' practice answer for your questions.

Choices are pretty wide but the references you should use are to look in the food service and refrigerator supply channels it you want ease clean as your highest selection criteria? 3M has a new 'permanent' tape adhesive that is used to build aluminum panel insulated wall trailers- that material may be a good method to consider paneling your boat?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
ehsvp

Post by ehsvp »

Kevin, thanks again for the information. I will research the composite plastic panels.

bob
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic