Kicker motor electrical grounding question?

General boating discussion
Mtb55

Kicker motor electrical grounding question?

Post by Mtb55 »

I've search the website for an answer to this question but I can't seem come up with much so I thought I'd ask. My kicker motor has no battery charging or electric start capabilities. I checked the kicker motor with an ohm meter and there's no continuity between the engine block of the kicker and the hull, presumably because it's clamped to a painted hull. Everything I've read on this website seems to advise grounding everything electrical back to the negative battery post. My question is should I run a ground wire from the kicker to the negative battery post?

Or

Should I go one step further and do what Protroll.com advises and bond the kicker to the hull.
Quote:
"If it is not an electric start, it can be bonded by running a wire from the metal on the motor to a ground point on the boat hull.  If you are not sure the motor is grounded, you can use a volt/ohm meter to check.  To test for bonding, connect the negative meter lead to the negative terminal of the battery and test for continuity to the boat hull or bonding strap as well as the outboard motor.  If there is no continuity, install a bonding wire (10#) from the negative terminal to the hull and to the outboard.  One of the most common problems is the failure to bond a kicker motor to the hull.  Many are not electric start and must be bonded to avoid problems."

What makes me nervous about Protrolls suggestion is that I thought it was a big NO NO to ground anything electrical directly to an aluminum hull? Any thoughts?
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Kicker motor electrical grounding question?

Post by Chaps »

You don't want the hull acting as the negative side of a circuit for a 12v device (a pump with no ground wire for instance). That is entirely different than "bonding"
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Mtb55

Post by Mtb55 »

Chaps wrote:You don't want the hull acting as the negative side of a circuit for a 12v device (a pump with no ground wire for instance). That is entirely different than "bonding"
Ok, So I get the impression you are suggesting that I do as Protroll advises and run a wire between kicker and hull, and a second wire between kicker and the negative battery terminal?
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

I'm not suggesting it has to be done, I'd characterize it as "can't hurt". More important IMO is insuring that the boat hull is adequately protected with the right type of sacrificial anodes that are properly installed. If the kicker has solid continuity to the hull in that case then all the better. If the hull is not properly protected then bonding the kicker to it doesn't accomplish much.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Mtb55

Post by Mtb55 »

Chaps wrote:I'm not suggesting it has to be done, I'd characterize it as "can't hurt". More important IMO is insuring that the boat hull is adequately protected with the right type of sacrificial anodes that are properly installed. If the kicker has solid continuity to the hull in that case then all the better. If the hull is not properly protected then bonding the kicker to it doesn't accomplish much.
I did research on the type of anode that would be best for my boat, I chose aluminum based on the fact that I use my boat in both salt ,brackish and freshwater. I converted the outboard anodes over to aluminum as well so everything would be the same. Lastly I purchased a silver silver chloride meter to verify that I have the proper amount of anode. At this point I feel confident that my anode situation is good. I think I'm going to go ahead and ground and bond my kicker as pro troll suggests. Thanks
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Using the silver silver chloride meter you can answer ALL your questions about if the engine needs to be grounded or not in your case.

As far as other metal boats there is no question the engine/s need to be grounded to the hull using a cable as large or larger than the negative battery cable.
Mtb55

Post by Mtb55 »

MacGyver wrote:Using the silver silver chloride meter you can answer ALL your questions about if the engine needs to be grounded or not in your case.

As far as other metal boats there is no question the engine/s need to be grounded to the hull using a cable as large or larger than the negative battery cable.
Good point, I don't know why I didn't think to test the kicker with the silver silver chloride meter? Next time I have the boat out I will test that. Thanks
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic