looking for new boat , Brand/model advise

General boating discussion
noexcuses2

looking for new boat , Brand/model advise

Post by noexcuses2 »

Looking for a new boat. Last boat I had was a 27 contender open (31') CC glass boat with twin 200 Yamaha HPDI's 2 strokes. Previous Boat was a 24' North River Seahawk with a 300 hp Suzuki. I like certain aspects of both boats and am wanting to combine the features that I liked from both. I am at least a year away from pulling the trigger but am wanting to get ideas and thoughts so I make the right choice. Boat will be used for fishing, in the ocean for salmon, halibut, TUNA, bottom fish and crabbing. It will also be used to fish the Columbia River for salmon and maybe pulling the grand kids tubing when they get older. I fish solo some times so that will be a consideration for handling the boat. I figure I will list what I liked and disliked about each boat of the last two boats that I have owned to help narrow it down.

North River Seahawk dislikes
paint and crevice corrosion, seats that rust and corrode, carpet in gunnels in back half of boat ( I removed) to mold, canvas top that leaked at zippers, the bow that would submarine a lot and end up with green water on windshield and top. cleaning up blood and slime from paint and zolaton (fished off bow of boat and would bring tuna through cabin), floorboard decking that would go soft, lack of ability to chase fish around boat. oh yeh crevice corrosion under paint again. Wiring, just a nightmare. Access to bilge. Scratching paint around docks. Only held 100 gallons fuel, not enough for two tuna tips with a safety margin.

North River Seahawks likes
fuel economy, ease of launching, loading and handling around docks. Ease of towing, power to weight ratio, toughness, not worried about damaging NON ALLOY, ride was pretty good especially when I would ride in stern area and let others drive. Built in floor storage for fish, anchor, and transom storage. pretty stable on the drift. Canvas kept most of spray off crew. Having a removable live bait tank, much easier to tip upside down and clean at end of trip.

Contender dislikes,
fuel economy(not reel bad but not like NR lol) several person job to launch and load, could only launch at certain ramps as the trailer would hang up on the front cross member where the ramp would break over. clean up time, buffing, waxing, polishing, more buffing, waxing and polishing HRS after a trip and hrs hrs after season. stains on NON ALLOY from shoes, blood, bird poop ect. scuffing NON ALLOY and fear of dock, lead, pole, and gaff rash.24 degree hull rolled on the drift. Canvas top, could not bolt/ weld add anything to it. Having to use bean bags for seating, remove from top place back on top, in the way and a pain, lost one and almost lost others a couple times and then have to deal with them on drive home while towing boat. Lack of spray shields, one side of boat would get wet from cross spray. Access to bilge. Built in live well, hard to clean at end of trip and get all the scales out. Twin engines, twice maintenance and extra fuel. More fish storage without having to use so many kill bags, ran three 30x60 reliable bags in bow.

contender likes
Center Console with glass windshield and wiper. Ability to fish around boat, will always have that ability after this. Ride, best ever been on and heard that from lots of crew, really nice with driving position in back third of boat. storage(had a ton of in floor storage and in floor rod storage, over 30 rods fit in floor. Room in boat and how it was set up, 4' behind leaning post and 10' in front console. Rod holders, had 49 of them and still would have liked more at times lol. Wiring, just fantastic best I have ever seen.Bean bag, crew loved the comfort. Auto pilot, loved it sit back and enjoy the ride. 10" screen gps, rader unit. stand alone furuno 585 with 1kw transducer. 200 gallon fuel capacity, could fish tuna for a couple days without needing to fuel at dock. With kill bags held up to 50 tuna, but 3 kill bags took a lot of room and hard to move around. Dive door.

Next boat list

Aluminum 24'-27' center console hard top with glass windshield and wiper. Single main with a high thrust or 20-30 hp kicker. 4' room behind leaning post and 7'+ in front of center console. No paint, zolatone ect, no carpet or extra fluff, just a fishing/work boat. Good riding hull in the ocean chop/swell that does not roll a lot on the drift. 150-200 gallons fuel for 2-3 tuna trips without having to refuel at docks. No carpet or extra fluff. In floor storage. Room for tote to hold tuna in bow in front of center console. Livewell and bleed barrel room on transom. Dual batteries and good wiring. Dive door. Crab davit. Low maintenance, wash, rinse and put to bed lol. there is more I will think of time goes by.

Boat Brands that fit

so far looks like pacific 26 HT fits most of this but have not ridden in one. Do they have reverse chines? Hows the ride and roll on the drift?

what other brands models fit this and at a decent price, not a full custom boat price.
noexcuses2

Re: looking for new boat , Brand/model advise

Post by noexcuses2 »

Also thought about building the boat, like the lines of this specmar orca and convert it to a center console
Attachments
specmar 25-1.jpg
Fisherman

Post by Fisherman »

Maybe you are looking for a boat similar to this? Modify your walk-around pilothouse as needed.

https://leeshoreboats.com/boatmodels/re ... rettyPhoto
JonH
Donator 21

Post by JonH »

www.croziercraft.com

26' x 9' Walk Around - it is a full custom but you get exactly what you want and the workmanship is 1st class.

http://croziercraft.com/uploads/3/4/8/9 ... 490713.jpg
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Even the custom boats start out reasonable but then all the gotta haves . . .

As I was reading your stuff I was thinking 26 Pacific skiff then I got to the bottom and saw you were thinking that way too

Hard to beat Lee Shore and Crozier as mentioned above. You are ready for a plate alloy boat, sell some of your Amazon stock and step up!
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
noexcuses2

Post by noexcuses2 »

thanks and keep the ideas coming. I will contact them all. This is just the start of the search. I am excited but have some time and want to make the right choice. Lots of research to do.
jj225

Post by jj225 »

How far to do have to run for albacore? How many miles do you put on in a day of tuna fishing? Is it even reasonable to think you can make 2-3 trips on one tank? Could you even put a 200 gallon tank in a 24'-27' boat? Pacific only has 150 in their 26' CC so just wondering. Bigger boat and more fuel means heavier boat and less mpg imo.

I've caught tuna so close to shore that we could see the cars on I-5 off of Oceanside, CA. Caught them in less than 250' off of Morro Bay. However, we didn't just put a few miles on the boat that day either. Constantly trolling and looking and sometimes running and gunning. Still burned the fuel and by the end of the day I wouldn't have gone out the next day w/out topping off. Guess what I'm saying is that you never know what each day holds and where the fish are. I'd never want to head out the next day with the boat not topped off. Maybe it's just me but I like to have a full tank when I head out.
Tin Man

Post by Tin Man »

The Pacific 26HT should fit everything that you have on your list. This boat has a console area that has a ton of storage as well as a large storage area behind the seats and at the bow all of which are easier to access than floor storage. I have this boat with a tuna door, a 48 gallon Offshore bait tank and saltwater wash down. There is a 200 qt ice chest and a 30X60 Reliable fish bag in front the console area and I can still walk around the boat. The boat comes with 8 rocket launcher rod holders and six rod holders along the sides. if you get the boat I would add additional rod holders on the sides of the roof.

The boat rides very well especially with trim tabs. It's still an aluminum boat so there some days where you have to go slow (or just stay home).

It works great for tuna and we also use it for free-diving offshore. My son speared a 237 lb BFT this summer and the tuna door was great for sliding in the fish.
bft.jpg
noexcuses2

Post by noexcuses2 »

[quote=jj225 post_id=50601 time=1485562556 user_id=1541]
How far to do have to run for albacore? How many miles do you put on in a day of tuna fishing?

Average Day would be in the 110-130 miles, the less the better lol. I like to cruise around and find the fish (run & gun) and then set up on them with live bait and jigs till plugged, sharked or the fish leave. Wash rinse and repeat. sometimes will be drifting with the fish for several hrs and never fire the motors back up till done. I try not to have to troll but some days you just have to, then its time to convert to bait and jigs if they will play.

Is it even reasonable to think you can make 2-3 trips on one tank?
On my Contender (held 210Gal.) I would make 2 trips on it all the time, average day was 70-75 gallons and most was almost 90 gals.
On NR seahawk average was 45 gal. so not enough reserve to go back to back. Worst day ever was 65 gal.

Could you even put a 200 gallon tank in a 24'-27' boat? Pacific only has 150 in their 26' CC so just wondering. Bigger boat and more fuel means heavier boat and less mpg imo.

With the 150gal I would be right at the edge for 3 days fishing with no refueling but not enough reserve " I think" based on what the NR used. 175 gal. would give me the reserve I should need.

I hate having to run to make it back to the fuel dock by a certain time, this would stop that from happening.

I've caught tuna so close to shore that we could see the cars on I-5 off of Oceanside, CA. Caught them in less than 250' off of Morro Bay. However, we didn't just put a few miles on the boat that day either. Constantly trolling and looking and sometimes running and gunning. Still burned the fuel and by the end of the day I wouldn't have gone out the next day w/out topping off. Guess what I'm saying is that you never know what each day holds and where the fish are. I'd never want to head out the next day with the boat not topped off. Maybe it's just me but I like to have a full tank when I head out.

I wish they would be that close, but it could be worse like some of the East coast and Southern boys who run for the rigs or canyons 100+ miles each way. And you are right, you never know what each day holds or what the fish are thinking, thats why its fishing and not catching :clap:
noexcuses2

Post by noexcuses2 »

Tin Man wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:38 pm The Pacific 26HT should fit everything that you have on your list. This boat has a console area that has a ton of storage as well as a large storage area behind the seats and at the bow all of which are easier to access than floor storage. I have this boat with a tuna door, a 48 gallon Offshore bait tank and saltwater wash down. There is a 200 qt ice chest and a 30X60 Reliable fish bag in front the console area and I can still walk around the boat. The boat comes with 8 rocket launcher rod holders and six rod holders along the sides. if you get the boat I would add additional rod holders on the sides of the roof.

The boat rides very well especially with trim tabs. It's still an aluminum boat so there some days where you have to go slow (or just stay home).

It works great for tuna and we also use it for free-diving offshore. My son speared a 237 lb BFT this summer and the tuna door was great for sliding in the fish.

bft.jpg
wow great fish, Thanks for the info. I am thinking of a tote (or similar) in front of the the console for fish storage. I have a love hate relationship with in-floor storage. I like that it keeps the center gravity low and deck clear but hate having to clean them up/out. Have three 30x60 kill bags and they just take up a ton of room all spread out, but sure keep the fish nice. On the Pacific I would move the console back around 8" just for the room in the bow for fishing out of with a tote or whatever I come up with. Lots of pole holders is mandatory :beer: .
noexcuses2

Post by noexcuses2 »

On Pacific boats they use extruded chines. Do they weld them both inside and outside and or just one side? Any issues with corrosion at the chine? Any idea what grade they use of extruded material? Do they acid wash the bilge area of the boat before laying down the deck or just at the end? I will have to give them a shout and find out.
noexcuses2

Post by noexcuses2 »

Talked to Chad at Crozier boats and they acid wash at the end only. The hull is only 15 degrees in the stern and 42 in the bow. I am worried that will not be enough, but will have to get it on the water to know for sure.
Last edited by noexcuses2 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noexcuses2

Post by noexcuses2 »

Sportsman show is this coming weekend in Ptown. I will have a lot of looking and questions to ask. I am going to give a look to North River Offshore series while I am there.
noexcuses2

Post by noexcuses2 »

I would like to have the bilge area acid washed before the deck is laid down, am I being paranoid or just wanting to much?
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

noexcuses2 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:35 pm On Pacific boats they use extruded chines. Do they weld them both inside and outside and or just one side? Any issues with corrosion at the chine? Any idea what grade they use of extruded material? Do they acid wash the bilge area of the boat before laying down the deck or just at the end? I will have to give them a shout and find out.
I've bottom painted a number of Pacific Skiffs and have not seen any evidence of corrosion at the chines, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that their extrusions are a marine grade alloy which is not true with all brands. The key to keep corrosion from happening on any aluminum boat, even those of lower manufacturing specs is using the correct anodes on the boat and making sure they are tightly fastened to the hull.

In the case of this 19' notice the free standing aluminum anode on the transom. Pacific has a welded on factory mount for this type of anode which I wish all the builders would use. Also on this boat we added aluminum button anodes to the SS trim tabs to provide something for those steel plates to chew on besides the hull. Also put a new aluminum anode on the engine mount bracket. The right anodes properly installed and maintained will keep bad things from happening to any and all aluminum boats.
IMG_3903.jpg
noexcuses2

Post by noexcuses2 »

Chaps wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:00 pm
noexcuses2 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:35 pm On Pacific boats they use extruded chines. Do they weld them both inside and outside and or just one side? Any issues with corrosion at the chine? Any idea what grade they use of extruded material? Do they acid wash the bilge area of the boat before laying down the deck or just at the end? I will have to give them a shout and find out.
I've bottom painted a number of Pacific Skiffs and have not seen any evidence of corrosion at the chines, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that their extrusions are a marine grade alloy which is not true with all brands. The key to keep corrosion from happening on any aluminum boat, even those of lower manufacturing specs is using the correct anodes on the boat and making sure they are tightly fastened to the hull.

In the case of this 19' notice the free standing aluminum anode on the transom. Pacific has a welded on factory mount for this type of anode which I wish all the builders would use. Also on this boat we added aluminum button anodes to the SS trim tabs to provide something for those steel plates to chew on besides the hull. Also put a new aluminum anode on the engine mount bracket. The right anodes properly installed and maintained will keep bad things from happening to any and all aluminum boats.

IMG_3903.jpg
Thanks for the feedback Chaps.

also added a coupleof other boats to the search list

NR offshore (almar) and it would have to come from the commercial division of NR as it would be a custom build
Koffler boats, talked to them at the portland sportsman show. Will have to look(and rid) at a few more of their boats and talk to them some more.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic