Wolf West Coast Cruiser details

General boating discussion
Acme

Wolf West Coast Cruiser details

Post by Acme »

Hello everyone,

I am looking at purchasing a boat that will handle a following sea and have become interested in the Wolf West Coast Cruiser. It seems wide and the bow looks to be under cut so that it won't punch into the wave and instead ride on top of it. My current boat is a 26' Radon triple chine but I'm looking to upgrade and new Radons are long wait and a bit expensive.
I'm looking at three Wolfe boats
Option 1; new 2017 Wolfe West Coast cruiser 220 9' beam with a 250 Yamaha with a kicker, a trailer and all new electronics package including radar $100K from Wolf direct.
Option 2; 2013 Wolfe West Coast cruiser 220 9' beam with a Yamaha 300 with 1000hrs. The electronics are vintage 2007 and I don't think it has radar. It does not have a trailer and has been in the water nonstop since new. I will need to purchase a trailer as I will not be keeping it in the water.
Option 3; 2006 Wolfe West Coast cruiser 230 8'6" beam. It has an Evinrude 225 more than 2500 hours and a kicker. Both need to be replaced. Approx $22K. The hull looks slightly different than the newer model and I don't know if it is some other way different. I am unsure on the electronics package but I guess it is 2006 vintage.
2 and 3 are being sold through Pacific boat brokers. I have made several attempts to try to get details like headroom etc. on these boats and the brokers are of no help.
My basic questions for the group here are.
Which boat do you think is the better deal
Is Wolf a good boat?
Are they built super rugged. I spoke with the owner of the 2013 and he told me it is a tank with quarter inch plate hull that is doubled in the bow for beaching.
They seem relatively spartan in many ways but I am not looking for a motorhome on the water.
Does anyone have any experience with the hull and do you guys think it will handle a following seas
Am I going to have any issues towing a 9 foot wide boat in California.
Does anyone know if the hull has changed.
Wolf's website says they use a special pulse welding machine which creates less heat. I was wondering if anyone knows is the special or common, if this is a new tool to them or what they have used it in 2006.
If anyone has any thoughts on Wolf boats please feel free to share them thank you
Gary
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Wolf West Coast Cruiser details

Post by Chaps »

I've never seen one down here but they look good on their website. You don't say the price on #2, 1,000 hours on a 3 year old boat is a lot of use, why does it have 2007 tronics if its a 2013 boat? Actually I just looked at the ads and you need to read them again as your post has some info jumbled up
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Acme

Post by Acme »

Hi Chaps,
The 2013 is $85,000. The reason for the older electronics is they transfered them from a previous boat.
I managed to talk to Wolf today. He is a very nice guy. He did say the 2006 hull has a harsher angle of entry.
The new Pulse welder they use sounds great. He does not have to grind down any welds, they all come out smooth?
He said the hulls are 3/16" throughout not 1/4"
Thanks all if you have any thoughts on these.
Gary
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Pulse welding can be a nice system but he shouldn't need to grind any welds even with a more conventional rig. At any rate it looks like the new boat might be the best choice if you are stuck on owning that brand assuming the price on all these is CDN?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

nice alloy welds :thumbsup:
TestnewGoPro 370.JPG
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
jj225

Post by jj225 »

Where about in CA are you? I'm in V.C. so fish the C.I. mostly. Radon country and thought nothing better than a Radon hull for going downhill since I owned a 22' Davis. Great boat but very wet riding. Always got wet in an uphill quartering sea. I think the biggest difference you're going to find is not so much the 4' drop in size but the deck space. That and the bow angle. Radon's don't have a very deep V. More a modified V. Some of these alum. builders have fairly sharp V entries. Not sure about Wolf though and they don't say anything on their site. Think the sharp angle is not going to give you the same type of ride you'll get in a Radon hull. I mean how many boats can you let go of the wheel in a 10-12' swell and not broach going downhill? Plus there'll be a weight difference I'm sure although some alum. boats will surprise you how heavy they can be. Again not sure about Wolf but no way is a 22-23' alum going to be in the same class as a 26' Radon.

One thing to consider is if you do buy new, what are you going to do if you have problems? No boat is perfect coming out of the shop. My Davis wasn't. My North River wasn't but I bought that used. My Wooldridge wasn't. Had to tow mine up to Seattle and even though they paid for gas I certainly don't want to do that again. Also need to be aware a Canadian motor WILL NOT be warrantied in the US. I looked into that with 2 Canadian builders.

BTW, I found that my boat rides similar to my Davis; great going downhill and quartering but beats you up going uphill. I don't have a very sharp bow entry either. Friends and I have been pleasantly surprised at how well it handles though and they all fished both boats a lot. Biggest difference is we stay nice and dry in those quartering seas going to and from Cruz out of Ventura. Especially in the p.m. when the winds always seem to pick up.

Best of luck in your search.
Acme

Post by Acme »

Jj225,
I'm in Santa Barbara. We typically come and go out of the Santa Barbara Harbor where I currently have the Raden in a borrowed slip. Which of your boats did you find RD similar to your Davis. I have been checking on import taxes etc. and I'm now thinking I really want to try to find a boat and the US.
Thanks
Gary
jj225

Post by jj225 »

Funny I just launched out of S.B. last Friday. Fished Rosa and a tad behind Miguel before going to Talcot Shoals and over to the front side of the marine no fish zone (just on the edge). Did very well at Talcot. Must have caught close to 100 fish. Since it was shallow we could toss back what we didn't want (which was most of the fish). We were trying to catch reds but chuckleheads were thick.

When we left we couldn't do much more than 17 due to the angle. Did pick it up once it got light enough but never over 20. On the way home around 1:30 the wind picked up a tad but we were able to do between 27-30 depending on riding the swell. Very similar to the Davis. Biggest difference though is I got just over 5mpg. Ran 100 miles and put in 19.6 gallons at Costco. Not bad at all. Oh the boat is a Woolridge. Apparently one of 3 down here but haven't seen the other two and one runs out of Ventura.

Shoot me a p.m. if you want to talk.
kaelc

Post by kaelc »

I live on Vancouver Island and have been watching that 23, as well as driving past Wolf's business since he opened decades ago? The 23 has been listed for a while and I would guess it is an Ex-guide boat, I think it is worth way less than they are asking. The 2013 also does not justify the asking price in my opinion if you compare it to the deal that Wolf is offering on the 2017. He also has had 4-10 years of improving the design. I know some manufacturers try to limit warranties but it seems like Yamaha offers North American borderless warranties. Wolf are good boats and lots of commercial operators buy them and keep them for years.

http://yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/FAQ/warranty
08. Does my Yamaha outboard motor have warranty coverage outside the United States?
Unfortunately, no. As explained in your Yamaha Outboard Limited Warranty Statement, your warranty coverage is provided for your outboard while it is used in the United States (but not U.S. Territories), and also in Canada. If you need repairs while temporarily using your Yamaha in another country, contact the local authorized Yamaha distributor for that country. Yamaha will work with that distributor to make the needed repairs as quickly as possible. If you have to pay for a repair that you believe your warranty would have covered at home, present all repair orders, receipts, or other related documents to your local dealer when you return home. Your dealer will be able to contact Yamaha on your behalf to see if any refund can be provided. Be aware that your Yamaha model may not be sold in some countries. Therefore, a Yamaha dealer outside the United States or Canada may not have all of the replacement parts or technical information available to provide proper service. This may unavoidably delay repairs. Thank you for your understanding should this happen.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic