Non Skid????

General boating discussion
Challenge
Donator 08, 09,10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

Non Skid????

Post by Challenge »

Hello All,

I have been using strips of the 3-M tape for non skid on my Viking and it keeps on peeling off, I have used the edge sealant. Since we use the boat mostly for water sports and as a beach bus I was thinking about getting a couple sheets of Hydro-Tuf:

http://hydroturf.com/products/Sheets_of ... ___Boating

it seems like it it would be easy to apply and I'm sure it would be comfortable underfoot.

Does anyone have experience with Hydro-tuf?

Since it's applied with 3M adhesive in sheets it should hold up better than the strips.

Any other recommendations? Are there any down sides to trying it? Corrosion?

Thanks in Advance

Rick
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: Non Skid????

Post by kmorin »

Rick, I don't know about nor have I used the sheet material in your link-my remarks are about 3M traction tape installation.

I've had great service from this material but it my have been related to how I installed? I used a 3M (tm) buffing pad to clean the aluminum deck, dock ramps/ladders or cabin sole- all places I've used 3M tape.

When there was sufficient anchor pattern on the cleaned metal, I wiped it with acetone using white cotton rags - and kept wiping till the rag came away as white as it started. I use dry shop air to blast the surface of any dust in the room/shop. Then I heated the metal until I could see the 'dew run' and began putting the strips down while the metal was very warm. The dock ramp was done out doors in the sun and was warm.

As I stripped the backing paper, I was laying the traction strip down and followed it with a linoleum roller pushing out any bubbles and forcing the freshly exposed adhesive into the metal's anchor pattern before it cooled too much.

I've had the strips stay adhered in the bottom of open beach skiffs so long- the strips were worn clean of their grit but remained tight to the metal- and these skiffs often have bilge water covering the strips.

Just wanted to say that I've seen some strips curl up off the metal but- for the most part the ones I've installed in the way I've described above have stayed put. I would suggest wearing tight fitting leather gloves to install the stuff though!

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Challenge

Post by Challenge »

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your feedback I agree the surface prep was never perfect, Which 3M Buffing pad do you use? do you buff it by hand or with a machine?

Do you think that there could be a problem using the hydro-tuff if I applied it correctly? I'm leaning towards using it since it will be easier on the kids knees & elbows... MINE TOO!

As always I appreciate your comments!

Cheers

Rick
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Rick, I used the 4" pads (have used the 7" size too) on a hook and loop mounting backing pad on the small format grinder. I used the darker color (brown) which I believe is the coarsest of the three pad grits? (sometimes we've just used whatever grit was on hand- not sure if there is any grit-to-grip relationship to the glue ?) I don't try to stay long or remove metal- I just lay the running pad flat to the metal area and slide it around without pressure. The metal shows up clean in a few swipes, and then I go to acetone and air to get rid of residual dust.

Some nicer model grinders have a vacuum hose shroud or safety cover over the sides of buffing wheels and this would probably reduce clean up, and the need to wear an APR for the fine dust and powder thrown by the pads without direct vacuum.

I have no experience with the sheet material so can't say much about. If there is a potential for problems it will be getting water under the film allowing the crevice cell site to form. So when you ask - "if I applied it correctly?" No- I don't see any problems if you can get the sheet material completely pressed down without air bubbles or unbonded areas??

There are an increasing number of bonding agents (high performance glue) now days that seem to hold to aluminum quite well? 3M has a tape that is used, as I understand, to actually take the place of rivets and screws where aluminum panels are 'glued' (tape strips) to the aluminum and steel frame of cargo trailers! I've not had personal experience but the liability of being wrong in that application implies some serious research has been done- so: I F the sheet material's glue/bonding agent/adhesive film is able to hold tight to aluminum decks- it seems like a good product?

Hope you'll post a report of your progress and results?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
3f8
Doator '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17

Post by 3f8 »

My experience with sheet material was less than satisfying. Adhesion was great, but the material did not do well with the sun. UV deterioration caused it to dry out. It was a real fight to get off and the blue dust made me look like a smurf by the time it was removed. Currently Tuff Coat is applied. So far so good.http://s689.photobucket.com/user/3f8/me ... 2.jpg.html
"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline.
Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
Hunter S. Thompson
Challenge

Post by Challenge »

3f8,

It looks great! How did you prepare the deck before applying, did you use the Tuff coat primer, how many coats and how does it feel with bare feet???

Thanks in advance!

Rick
3f8
Doator '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17

Post by 3f8 »

Their primer (orange for metal including alloy). Two top coats. Used their roller ,but cut it in half. After the old mat was off used 3m sanding pads with an orbital sander. Washed with water wipe down with lacquer thinner.

http://s689.photobucket.com/user/3f8/slideshow/woody
"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline.
Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
Hunter S. Thompson
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic