Thomas Marine:End of an Era!

General boating discussion
welderbob
Donator ,15

Thomas Marine:End of an Era!

Post by welderbob »

It is sad day in the aluminum boat building world. Thomas Carney the owner, designer and master craftsman at Thomas Marine was laid to rest today.

Tom was my mentor, everything I do today is base on the principles I learn working with him. He took the time to teach me to step back and look. My guys are all day with the level, protractor etc. Stop look at it, its crocked! no it level, look at it its crooked!

Tom died peacefully at home at the age of 82. Don't hold me to all of the facts, but Tom started him career as an apprentice building wooden boats. He bought a boat yard on the Patchogue at a young age, raising three girls he repaired wooden boats and did mechanical repairs, He had several famous people that he became friend with over the years.

Toms first adventure in boat building was with NON ALLOY. He quickly learn that NON ALLOY was itchy. He taught himself to weld aluminum and developed a small clam boat for the local market. The first ones were lightly built with plywood deck. Most of them are still around and don't last long when put up for sale. He took some courses on navel architect and design . Tom created each one of his designs the old fashion way ,with a # 2 pencil. The local police had 4 of his 38', they just decommissioned 2 of them after more than 35 years.

Although we didn't part on the best of terms,he gave me my first boat to build and told me I did a good job when I was done. Tom was a master craftsman in any media,be it metal or wood. He was happy in front of the shops old J&L #5 lathe turning an aluminum stuffing box or fitting a coupling on a shaft. I often pictured him as an orthopedic surgeon fitting a new knee or hip.

There are many things that need fixed in this world. After a brief rest I hope that the good lord puts Tom to work creating a new world wonder.
RIP TOM!
welder
Site Admin

Re: Thomas Marine:End of an Era!

Post by welder »

Sad day for sure, RIP Tom.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: Thomas Marine:End of an Era!

Post by kmorin »

welderbob,
thanks for the mention of a mentor, pioneer builder and your friend's passing. Sorry that you parted on less than the best terms, hope that was healed as time passed? I've let a few pass without mending our differences; once they were gone I realized I'd always intended to make some peace to those partings that weren't friendly, and I've regretted my poor manners and procrastination.

I'm glad to celebrate his work without seeing a single boat! Those of us, long in the trade, sure do owe a lot to the men that taught us. When they "pass over the bar" to Fiddler's Green, it's sad and reminds us all how short is the length of our own cruise.

RIP, to your former teacher Tom Carney.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic