Aluminum hartop frame

General boating discussion
Skiffing
Donator ,15

Aluminum hartop frame

Post by Skiffing »

It's been a few years since I've been here. Very grateful for the solid advice and expertize offered in the past. I hope this inquiry won't be considered blasphemous :)

I've purchased a Bayliner 4588 for my retirement home. I have about 18 months to refit and upgrade. Money always will be a concern.

One of my projects will a flybridge hardtop, for shade, but primarily to support ~700watts of solar panels. A professionally fabricated hardtop is prohibitively expensive.

I've been researching kits and modular designs but haven't found what I'm looking for. Is anyone aware of a tubing / piping distributor who would have all frame components for a bolt together installation?

Thanks
capesteve

Re: Aluminum hartop frame

Post by capesteve »

you may want to contact Bayliner they might have some people for you
Skiffing
Donator ,15

Post by Skiffing »

Bayliner has no information. Hardtops were not OEM.

Hoping some of the fabricators here who source piping might know someone.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Skiffing,
no one is going to have a 'bolt together' top kit for your boat. You may be able to tolerate a series of aluminum scaffolding parts - and make do?- but it will never be the same level of cosmetics that a welded tower/cover frame will provide: you may accept the various cast fittings on the market?

http://diamond-aluminum.com/catalogs/Di ... ptions.pdf this is one of many of this type of product- the purpose is to be able to build 'scaffolding' in any configuration- and that is essentially what you're asking about doing.

Do take care to confirm the pipe OR TUBE size of your frame stock and the hopefully compatible fittings' series dimensions ?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Skiffing
Donator ,15

Post by Skiffing »

Thanks Kevin. That's the right direction but a little "industrial". A guy I have spoken with said he came across a site that has marine grade aluminum pipe with sweeps, bends, sleeves, etc. for a complete, adjustable frame.... but he can't find it now.

I used something similar for a console surround on the skiff you helped me with a few years ago - but they don't offer anything in this size.

Regards!
gandrfab

Post by gandrfab »

I do custom work if you could come to me that would be great.
This might be who you are looking for http://www.atlantictowers.com/
Give it a shot.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic