12v ‘marine’ coolers?

General boating discussion
alyaz

12v ‘marine’ coolers?

Post by alyaz »

Hope this is the most appropriate forum to post this question in. I am hoping to integrate a 12v cooler into or under a seat in our new aluminum boat build. Has anyone any suggestions on a ‘better - best’ brand to consider? We will be on salt water and would want something that maybe is either stainless, aluminum or a poly type material to ward off corrosion. Thank you.
gandrfab

Re: 12v ‘marine’ coolers?

Post by gandrfab »

I don't know much of anything about 12v coolers.
I will say this I want as few electric gadgets on a boat as possible.

What is your need for a power cooler that ice can't take care of?
alyaz

Post by alyaz »

I hear ya, but our situation may be a little unique. We live on a small island and our boat is moored on a buoy during boating season. So everything going to the boat goes out in our tender that we pull to the water’s edge and then row out to the boat. Packing a bag of ice along with everything else we take out would not be impossible but it would be an added pain. We also live ‘off-grid’ so freezing water for ice cubes is a bit more involved than when living on grid, etc.
gandrfab

Post by gandrfab »

Interesting.

Am I assuming wrong that you want to solar power this cooler on board?
The sailing community should have this application dialed in.
alyaz

Post by alyaz »

Hmmmm... hadn’t considered the solar power application to be honest, but a great idea. The cooler would only need to be on when the boat is running, so had just thought about it being a 12v application. I have since come across this:

http://www.novakool.com/products/conversion_units.htm

Made by the same people that make the fridge in our RV. New compressor technology that barely sips battery power - in comparison to what the older or even current rv/marine fridges on the market use. The kit above would be used to turn a suitable space into a cooler by sealing, insulating and installing the kit.

Although I was thinking a pre-made cooler initially, this may make the best use of space available and I already know Novakool (who are located fairly close to us) and I like their products and customer service.

Maybe a house battery for the cooler and my understanding so far is that the Etec engine I am considering has a pretty skookum charging ability and will charge two batteries independently as required. Lots to look into...
alumioforte

Post by alumioforte »

Have you asked Fisheries Supply? Dave Smith works in that dept. They probably have them.
alyaz

Post by alyaz »

Will check thanks. That Novakool kit is over 1200 cdn ... yikes.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic