Pacific V2325 vs V2600

General boating discussion
CremeBrule

Pacific V2325 vs V2600

Post by CremeBrule »

HI, new to the forum and grateful to have found it. I've been saving up for the last two years to buy an aluminum boat and its really only up til I discovered this forum that I've looked beyond Pacific boats. They've had my sole focus and I'm very close to putting a deposit down on one. I live and fish out of the NE, do some light commercial fishing and pull recreational lobster traps-I'd also like to be able to have a boat that could take me out to the canyons on (as one poster here wrote) 'bluebird' days. I've primarily been planning on a 26ft hull with an 8ft cabin powered by a 250hp G2 Evinrude.

My questions are thus (and I know this may open a wormhole)

a)is the ride in the 26ft hull going to be that dramatically better in small to medium chop than the 23ft hull? Practically speaking the 23ftr would be easier for me when it comes to storage, mooring and trailering. But the 26 is doable if it is markedly better-I'd rather spend the money now then regret not having that extra 2.75 feet later. But I recall reading here that the 23ftr is the the sweetspot for Pacifics?

b)Foam.(here comes the supernova) Reading the Pacific brochures about close cell foam I assumed this was a great idea. After perusing this forum I'm a bit in doubt. I have the option of requesting that the boat not be foamed, but is there anything unique about the way that Pacific applies it and the fact that they use closed cell that makes them any different? They seem to be such a widely respected builder I'm surprised that they would foam if it is such a dubious procedure?

c)touching on the last-as per this site I'm now into the world of Crozier, Leeshore, etc but its hard for me to shift gears away from Pacific as they been so in my focus these 24 months now. Are Pacifics comparable in terms of craftsmanship, seaworthiness, and longevity? What are their downsides?

Many many thanks for all any any feedback. Needless to say I'm very excited to get the ball rolling on this build-it's been a longtime coming-feel really excited I'm in a position to make it happen.
Cheers
JonH
Donator 21

Re: Pacific V2325 vs V2600

Post by JonH »

All things being equal the longer boat will ride better because it's longer and heavier.

Weight has a huge effect on ride quality although it generally requires more power, etc.

I looked at Pacific but decided to go with Crozier to get a true custom boat.

Feel free to PM me if you want.
CremeBrule

Post by CremeBrule »

thanks heaps for your input Jon, will PM you
JonH
Donator 21

Post by JonH »

Check your PM
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

creme'b,
some remarks on the post, but not necessarily useful replies?
CremeBrule wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:57 am is the ride in the 26ft hull going to be that dramatically better in small to medium chop than the 23ft hull?
sorry to report the obvious problem or relativity. Dramatically better is not a quantifiable value. What does the "dramatically" modifier quantify? Pitch, impact, acceleration, or some other variable??? I might find the ride better after building a couple hundred boats, you might not and "he, she, they, or others" may not be able to tell any discernible difference? My point in response is that you're asking about opinions- like there was a quantity within one or another opinion that could be influential in boat buying decision making?

ANSWER: Maybe, some people can discern a "dramatic difference" but without accelerometers, and identical test hulls- how on earth would you know if a post was 'factual'? I have built quite a few welded hulls and the number of variables made your question very hard to attempt to answer. if the seastate in which two opinions were reported (1 longer hull, one shorter hull 'ride') were not identical- in fact side by side.... what you get is someone's opinion not a report of fact.
CremeBrule wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:57 am b)Foam.(here comes the supernova) Reading the Pacific brochures about close cell foam I assumed this was a great idea
Again, your assumptions may not be influential in a marketing feature of a welded skiff? Pacific may do this for reasons we don't have published? Have you asked them for a formal statement? "We, Pacific Skiffs, include this type of foam in boats that do not require foam under DHS/CG reg.s because:...." There are points of view here and elsewhere on the 'web' that take both sides of this question. "Great Idea" OR folly and waste of money and time... ? again- mere opinion without some form of factual criteria against which to compare the two sides.

As the buyer- you have to take your own (best guess?) position & make that a requirement of your new boats' build features. As a builder in the past; I notice that every boat owner's boat is better than his other choices!!
CremeBrule wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:57 am Are Pacifics comparable in terms of craftsmanship, seaworthiness, and longevity? What are their downsides?
The forum will only be able to give their individual posters' experience, opinions and "take" on this (again) ambiguous question. If you want answers you'd have to find a series of marine surveyors' sites and see if they'd share surveys of the various boats- HIGHLY unlikely! How else should you become informed? site opinion- also called "hear-say" or anecdotal evidence. How will you sort through a couple dozen opinions rendered? " my friend's X brand was good!" "Well, my X brand was poorly performed...."

Have you seen the welds in comparable areas of all the manufacturer's in question? How about their internal welder qualification tests? How about the type of welds (MIG vs TIG) used in comparable hull locations? What weld alloys are used in each procedure?
Examples of "factual" types of exploration- but ..... "Comparable in terms" is a bit open ended and can't retrieve facts... just stories and opinions.

What defines "seaworthiness" to you?? How will you define these various skiffs' in this performance related question?

Does anyone know of a Pacific Skiff that has "worn out"? How about (any) another welded skiff?

What can we conclude about X brand welded skiffs? Not too much from my point of view! Does that mean X brand skiffs are either "good" or "bad" or better or worse than Y or Z brands? Not that I can tell because the question still seems to be seeking opinions- and like ears - everyone seems to have a couple of them close to their minds?

What on earth will form a basis for answers to your questions? I'm not trying to give you a hard time- but I am trying to point out the questions cannot be answered by anyone in the current form- all these questions do is create confusion since there are not actually measurable criteria sought- upon which to make any real world comparison. Words like "dramatically better", good reason, dubious procedure, and "downsides" all seek relativity and opinion not measurable comparisons.

I hope you're able to learn some basis to make these decisions in your purchase process, but I can't see how the wording in these questions will solicit answers that really form a rational basis for a buying decision? And that is from someone who's built his share of welded skiffs.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
CremeBrule

Post by CremeBrule »

Wow, thanks so much for your very helpful input Kevin-as someone coming from a part of the country where 99.9% of boats are NON ALLOY your wisdom and insights are really appreciated. Thanks for taking the time
All the best
CB
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

CB, I started this site after buying a Pacific 2325 CC witth a Honda BF225.
I, like you , had all of the same questions.

The 2325 is the most popular due to #1 Cost , #2 Sea worthiness

For myself I have only one regret , wish I would have got the 26.

Yes that extra 3 feet makes a big diff. in just room on deck, the ride can be better IF you know how to run the sea.

On the trailer, motor up , hooked up to my 4 door one ton I'm 52 feet long so another 3 feet is no big deal.

Not to mention the 26 may have a better resale , IF, something happened and she had to get a new Daddy.

All of the hull you mentioned can be GREAT hulls , I went with Pacific due to Cost , ruggedness and availability .

Any more questions , fire away.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic