to windlass or not to windlass??

General boating discussion
CremeBrule

to windlass or not to windlass??

Post by CremeBrule »

Having a Pacific 26ft built and am debating if I should install a windlass. I'm coming from much smaller boats on which I've always hauled anchor manually, so I will be new to a windlass. I'm mostly on the boat alone and will be anchoring in 40-80ft of water often in some current. I can always use the buoy/ring technique but do others out there think it would be a significant improvement to have a windlass given that I'm often solo on the boat??

If I do run with a windlass it will be a Good F850

Thanks always for any feedback/help
Trousertrout

Re: to windlass or not to windlass??

Post by Trousertrout »

My thinking is that a windlass will put more fish in the boat. I run through a scenario in my mind that has played out multiple times. Weather starts to kick up a bit. You go outside to pull the anchor or wind the rope in. You get broadsided by a wave that soaks you to the bone. You tell the crew it's time to head in because of your misery. A windless, in my mind, will help you make that last move and prolong your time on the water. Also the least amount of time you are on the bow is safest. One double wrap of the line and it could be game over. I have anchored with 1200 ft of rode and the anchor wouldn't let loose on buoy method. When the line came taught and I was standing still, the rpms read 3000, the boat was almost flipped from the rubber band effect. My theory is that the least amount of time that rope or chain is out of my hands, the safer. Plus having back surgery really persuades me to go windlass
gandrfab

Post by gandrfab »

Windlasses are great right until they are not.
It would be nice to have a replacement plan.
Make it easy enough to replace so it is not a major chore and replace every 2 seasons or so.
Sell the used one while it is still good and run with new regularly.

Just a idea.
Trousertrout

Post by Trousertrout »

Do you relate the problems to salt?
gandrfab

Post by gandrfab »

The boats I'm around salt is a killer.

Windlasses are usually hard to get to, out of site and out of mind, suffering from lack of ....
Maintenance, boating and electric in general seem problematic.
Krisinak

Post by Krisinak »

i have my eyes on one of these to replace my current windlass.
Attachments
good windlass.jpg
good windlass.jpg (75.92 KiB) Viewed 9633 times
gandrfab

Post by gandrfab »

That fixes the ease of access issue.
Challenge
Donator 08, 09,10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

Post by Challenge »

Since you are on the fence for a windlass, I would at least have Pacific run the wires for a windlass.

Alternately, have you looked into the salt water trolling motors which can be connected to your GPS to hold your position. A friend of mine has one on a 22' boat and loves it!

It is much easier and cheaper to run the wire during the build!

Please post build photos!

Cheers! & Good luck with the build.
Almar22

Post by Almar22 »

After years and years of being jealous of other people and their handy windlasses, I just finished installing one on my 26' Silverstreak boat. Like you, I am often solo on the boat and can't wait to relax while the anchor is coming in or going out. Will file a report in the next week or two after I get a chance to put it to use!
Tfitz
Donator '16

Post by Tfitz »

Get a drum winch! They are safe, simple and reliable. You don't have to go on the bow to pull anchor. Don't have to handle wet rope. Just Sit in the captians chair and press a button IN......press a button OUT!
Attachments
winch.jpg
winch.jpg (61.44 KiB) Viewed 9609 times
Krisinak

Post by Krisinak »

Challenge wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:20 am Since you are on the fence for a windlass, I would at least have Pacific run the wires for a windlass.

Alternately, have you looked into the salt water trolling motors which can be connected to your GPS to hold your position. A friend of mine has one on a 22' boat and loves it!

AND add a mounting bracket.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

in small boats- deck area and clutter seem to go hand in hand? So if you use a capstan head/windlass to pull an anchor rode there is a bit of clean up- even if you coil in a bucket or tote as the line comes in- you're giving up deck space to more clutter.

On the other hand, winch/drum or windlass/capstan head both require drives so provisions for electric power and control is present in both cases. I think the convenience of the winch/power reel takes up less room but in an open skiff, or walk-around it will require more careful design and installation for a drum/winch permanently mounted to the bow.

I'm not sure, but I think I've seen a forward inboard view of the Pacific and recall a fairly large locker in the bow close to or at the sheer? If I had the battery and charging capacity (?) I'd suggest it was less overall work and more shipshape to mount a winch in a locker at the bow. It will need the same power, cabling, and battery installation as a windlass but will not require any line handling or stowing- beyond turning on and off.

just another few cents worth of opinion.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Challenge wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:20 am Since you are on the fence for a windlass, I would at least have Pacific run the wires for a windlass.

This right here, RUN THE POWER TO THE BOW AND HAVE THE BRACKET MADE/INSTALLED. The deal here is to build the boat for the "NEXT GUY" this is also an easier sell to the wife as it would help sell the boat in the future to the "NEXT GUY".
hERE IS ONE TYPE I WOULD LOOK AT. https://hammermarine.com/product-catego ... r-winches/
Julie @ Pacific will give you some GREAT advise on winch choice.

Congrats on the new build and we better see some dang pictures. :beer: :highfive: :beer: :highfive:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic