DC Wiring Connection Issue With Large Conductors

General boating discussion
ehsvp

DC Wiring Connection Issue With Large Conductors

Post by ehsvp »

I have an interesting issue connecting a Smart Toilet Control to my boat's electrical system. Basically, power cables from the service panel breaker power a printed circuit board which then powers the components of the toilet controlled by an electric switch panel. The components of the system are connected into the circuit board with a PCB terminal block which is basically a row of clamps which secure the wire connections for each component. There are connections for the two pumps, a tank gauge and other items. The problem I have is that this toilet uses sea water with a remotely located\controlled water pump. Due to its distance from the circuit board, I have to use 6 gauge wire to prevent voltage loss to the pump. The 6 gauge wire is too large in diameter to fit into the holes in the PCB terminal block. I think 10 gauge is about the largest wire that will fit in the holes. Would it be acceptable to connect 10 gauge wires from the circuit board to a terminal block where I could then connect the 6 gauge wires? My thinking here is that since the amperage of the water pump circuit is only 10 amps the 10 gauge wire gauge could easily handle the current and the overall voltage loss would still be low since the circuit was almost entirely wired in 6 gauge.

Bob
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: DC Wiring Connection Issue With Large Conductors

Post by Chaps »

You'll be ok doing that
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic